Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Perfect example of why we should not have 8 team playoff
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

Perfect example of why we should not have 8 team playoff

Apr 6, 2014, 1:04 PM

in football if you are trying to determine a true champion. 2 teams are playing for a National Championship who weren't even ranked in the Top 20.

In no way am I saying they don't deserve it, because they are both playing excellent at the very end of the season. However, the NCAA Tournament Champion is simply that... the tournament champion.

The BCS football championship hasn't been perfect either, but I think it's a better judge of the full body of work. I think the 4 team playoff is about as perfect as you could ask for. You have to have a tremendous regular season and cap it off by beating 2 elite teams. It's a fantastic mixture with a slight emphasis on a great body of work, but then capping it off with a great ending.

Again, it depends on what the goal is. Is the goal to give nearly any team a chance to get hot at the end of the season? Or is the goal to look at the entire body of work throughout the season?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree

Apr 6, 2014, 1:30 PM

And it's most evident in the NFL.

I hate watching a 9-7 team win the Super Bowl.

The best thing about college football is you truly must have a great season.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

By great season do you mean, having the media overhype your

Apr 6, 2014, 3:10 PM

conference and scheduling easy out of conference games to maximize your win total. Yeah that worked for Bama, until the last two games where they got exposed.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ALMOST worked for OSU as well, besides the overhyped

Apr 7, 2014, 6:28 AM

conference thing.

Re: Perfect example of why we should not have 8 team playoff

Apr 6, 2014, 1:30 PM

Four team playoff:
What if you have,after the conference championships, 5 undefeated teams(one from the SEC,ACC,Big 10,Pac 12,plus maybe a major indepedent like Notre Dame),and they are all in the top 10,which one do you leave out?
No what you need is a major reconstruction of the 5 big conferences,each being divided into two divisions with a playoff,take those 5 winners,add the next three highest ranking teams*,and devise an 8 team playoff seeding the teams 1-8( 1 vs 8,2-7 etc. till there are two remaining.
Granted the regular season might have to be reduced by one game( eliminating say one D2 school) and maybe even throw in an extra open weekend between the season end,and the playoffs.
*The next three highest ranking teams should be seeded 6-7-8.
Just my opinion,but 8 is the only way to go.

Agree 8 is the way to go. Anyone who could be the best team

Apr 6, 2014, 1:45 PM

would be included.

And would like more football.***

Apr 6, 2014, 1:46 PM

But lets say you take the top 4 for the playoff

Apr 6, 2014, 1:45 PM

We'll just take the top 4 in the final AP poll:

1:FSU
2:Auburn
3:Michigan ST
4:South Carolina

this would make it FSU/SCAR and AU/MSU and the winners play for the title, but don't you think 5-8 would have a right to say they deserve just as much of a chance as at least numbers 3 and 4?

5:Mizzou
6:Oklahoma
7:Alabama
8:Clemson

Mizzou should have beaten South Carolina earlier in the year and did beat 5 ranked teams (although some were questionable why they were ranked)

Oklahoma beat 3 top 10 teams, including a 2 touchdown win over Bama in the sugar bowl. and 1 of its 2 losses came from another top 10 team in Baylor. (granted they got drug all over the field in that one)

Alabama always thinks they should have a shot in the title game given their recent success.

Clemson opening the season beating top 5 UGA (when everyone was healthy) then getting pushed around by FSU, and then being in the game with SCAR up until the end may have been a question mark as to whether they should be involved in an 8 team playoff or not during the regular season. But showed that its still capable of beating anyone after winning the Orange bowl against Ohio state, finishing the year 2-2 against top 10 teams

My point being that lately theres been teams in the top 8 that could have won the title. IMO I would like to see the playoff at 10 with the top 2 teams getting a bye week

That's what the BCS did

Apr 6, 2014, 2:29 PM

The goal of the BCS was simply to pit #1 vs #2.

If you look back over the history of the BCS, they usually managed to do this. And usually, there was little controversy over who was #1 and who was #2. A large gap usually left #3 well behind #1 and #2. On occasion, #3 was closer to #2, and could have argued that they were really #2.

With a 2 team playoff (which is what the BCS really was), there will always be an argument that can be made that maybe #3 deserved at least a shot.

With a 4 team playoff (which is what we'll have for the next few year at least), there will always be an argument that #5, #6... could make that they deserved to have a shot.

Expand to an 8 team playoff, and the #9 and #10 team will say "If there was a 16-team playoff, we'd be in and at least have a shot".

No matter what N is, for an N-team playoff there will be teams at N+1 or N+2 that "deserve" a chance.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's exactly what the playoffs won't do.

Apr 7, 2014, 12:00 AM

The polls have nothing to do with the playoff selections though they may resemble the selection committee's list by the end of the season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your right, no matter the number beside the team

Apr 7, 2014, 7:08 AM [ in reply to That's what the BCS did ]

they will claim they shouldn't have been left out, the only thing is people care when they think it should have been #3 in the title game (see OKST a few years ago) people wont care when #17 is left out.

Again, what I personally would like to see is a 10 team playoff with the top 2 getting first round bye weeks

I agree!***

Apr 6, 2014, 2:08 PM

Disagree

Apr 6, 2014, 2:34 PM

In basketball there are 320+ teams all vying for 1 championship. No way you can accurately rank the teams in order with that vast distribution. What you can do is say these are the better 30 teams in the country regardless where some joe blow wants to rank them. Then let them battle it out. Its no coincidence that the final four is TYPICALLY consisted out of the top 4 seeds (top 16 in the country).

Football is a self fulfilling prophecy. Auburn wasnt viewed as a great team last year until they couldnt find a way to lose. In my mind they still werent great, they had two games that were miraculously won. Yet they are rewarded for that. Put them in a playoff with 7 other teams and they might lose 5 of them.

Playoffs are good for when there are so many teams that never get to play against one another. I dont think you need it do determine a league champion, but you do need it to determine a national champion.

Disagree about the "miraculousness" of AU's wins over UGA...

Apr 6, 2014, 3:25 PM

and Bama. The UGA win you could call "miraculous", but WR's work on catching the ball off of tips regularly. So that "miraculous", doesn't happen without lots of practice. The Bama game was by no means a miracle. In that game Bama's FG kicker had already missed like 3 FG attempts. The last attempt, returned for a TD, was a 50 plus yard FG. Take into account also, a FG unit is set up for blocking only,it's not set up for returns. FG units normally have all ol and te blocking, which means slower players on the field. Malzhan had a fast returner back. So in that game it was an unwise decision by Nick $aban, and a wise decision by Malzhan.

Re: Disagree about the "miraculousness" of AU's wins over UGA...

Apr 7, 2014, 10:00 AM

If you don't think returning a field goal for 109 yards in the final second of a tied game is miraculous, then there's no hope in arguing with you. Please tell me, how often does that happen? And the UGA win was also miraculous. Auburn had a golden horseshoe stuck up their ### last year, and there is no denying it.

college basketball is much more competitive than...

Apr 6, 2014, 3:06 PM

college football. No comparison. Plus is it really a shock to see Uconn and UK in the final? No. Both teams expect to get to the final four. It's always the same story for UK, what part of the season are their young players going to start playing smarter. This year is was very late in the season.

You're right there should be a 16 team playoff***

Apr 6, 2014, 3:07 PM

WIn your conference, go to college football playoffs

Apr 6, 2014, 3:08 PM

It's simple.

Too much overthinking.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly.***

Apr 6, 2014, 3:37 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Agree in theory, but seems like you'd need for every team to

Apr 6, 2014, 4:06 PM [ in reply to WIn your conference, go to college football playoffs ]

play each other and restructure how we determine who plays in the Conference Championship games.

Nope

Apr 6, 2014, 9:06 PM

Make it entirely up to the conferences how they want to crown their champions.

The only folks who can complain are then the conference members who feel "wronged" by the unbalanced schedules.

Maybe, eventually, some sanity will return to the ever growing conferences.

But even if not, It gives everyone a direct achievement that earns them a shot at the grand prize.

No opinions needed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the best system?

Apr 6, 2014, 3:30 PM

european soccer leagues. Home and away round robin between all teams. Yeah it may not have the pop and bang at the end of the season with a tournament but it crowns who is truly the best team.

cool a 300 or so game schedule***

Apr 6, 2014, 3:35 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

in conference games only

Apr 6, 2014, 3:41 PM

then the champions go to a playoff. That would be how to do it in college

Re: Perfect example of why we should not have 8 team playoff

Apr 6, 2014, 3:36 PM

Could not disagree more. He!!, if the strongest, fastest, biggest always won, I would not even watch.

Disagree. Actually it's an example of why we will need to

Apr 6, 2014, 3:39 PM

expand beyond 8.. At least 16.

Every other sport in the world has a playoff to settle it's "champion". Every time, teams not included in the very top of that sport make runs towards the championship, and most often they get involved in the final couple/few games.

It were Clemson basketball making a run into the sweet 16 or higher, would you be okay with that? Of course. Heck, if we made it into the top 32 that would have been a nice accomplishment.

Playoffs have always operated the same way in every other. Are you suggesting every other sport should scale back it's playoffs to the top 4?

It's most every year where teams with 1-3 losses win the 1-AA championship. In your scenario, they wouldn't have gotten that chance. I have a feeling the teams who won it aren't complaining about the size of the pool.

Playoffs in 1-A football are long overdue. 4 sucks. 8 is a little better, but 16 should be the min.

A Championship should crown a team that WINS the Championship

Apr 6, 2014, 3:47 PM

Not validate who we thought was the best.

then you have the SEC biased,USUC ranked 4th after

Apr 6, 2014, 3:54 PM

losing to 2 unranked teams, one with a losing record

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's not accurate. Bama and Mich St were 3 and 4. Mich St

Apr 6, 2014, 4:14 PM

had a tremendous year.

The first game of the year should count just as much as the

Apr 6, 2014, 4:00 PM

last game of the year. Any playoff system should be based on the entire body of work. There is no preseason in college football; once the season starts, there is no dress rehearsal, nor should there be. Use only conference champions in a playoff. Teams that feel they are at a disadvantage under this scenario because they are in a tough conference would just have to shut up and stop whining. Such highly ranked teams that don't make the playoffs could still go to non-playoff bowls to create interesting matchups. The polls, however, would be a non-factor in the playoff itself, and the true, official champion would be the winner of the playoff, settled on the field, based on season-long success as opposed to the biases of poll voters.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

playoffs are all fun and exciting

Apr 6, 2014, 4:03 PM

but they render the regular season meaningless. In pro sports its even stupider. 82 game NBA season effectively means nothing. same thing for baseball and 162 games of nothing

Disagree.

Apr 6, 2014, 4:06 PM

Every game matters. The Clemson basketball and baseball teams strive to win every game and even though we lose some, every game matters and as fans our enjoyment of the game isn't diminished at all.

college regular season means more than pros

Apr 6, 2014, 4:10 PM

and the season means more for some teams than it does for others. Like bubble teams and such it's very important.

So you think we should be required to win the ACC to

Apr 6, 2014, 4:03 PM [ in reply to The first game of the year should count just as much as the ]

be included in the NCAA basketball tournament?

I know that the ACC basketball tourney was unbelieveable

Apr 6, 2014, 4:08 PM

back when that was at stake. Those ticket books were harder than Master's badges to come by.

I don't disagree with that, but

Apr 6, 2014, 4:17 PM

times have changed. It would be horrible if only one ACC team was involved in the basketball tournament.

Teams not winning their conference have made nice playoff runs and often win NCs, in every sport with playoffs..which is every sport other than 1-A football. I think it's enjoyable to watch, even if I'm not one of those teams. If I am one of those teams, then I'm real happy I was was given the opportunity.

No, but I think it's different with football. Even though

Apr 6, 2014, 6:10 PM [ in reply to So you think we should be required to win the ACC to ]

the best team doesn't always win in football, I think the best team wins more so than in basketball. It seems that basketball teams are more apt to have an "off" night than football teams, especially considering that they play so many more games. I think part of what makes football so great is that you have a week to prepare for each game and you simply have to be ready; each game counts. I have no problem with overlooking a few bad games in basketball but still having a chance to compete at the end - not so much with football. Now, if football teams played 30 games, it would be different.

- H. L. Mencken

No problem with this method either, but I'd like to see

Apr 6, 2014, 4:11 PM [ in reply to The first game of the year should count just as much as the ]

each team play each other in that scenario. Which means we need either smaller conferences or larger conferences with 9 team divisions.

College football regular season is great

Apr 6, 2014, 4:18 PM

Unfortunately the post season is the worst in sports. Had a Bama fan disagree with me on this last year saying lots of teams go home with a win. Then after Oklahoma beat Bama in arguably the 2nd most meaningful game of the postseason, he tells me Bama didn't care about winning that game. A BCS game. Meaningless to fans. Only ONE game matters in the entire postseason.

"Best team" is all part of the beauty contest

Apr 6, 2014, 6:20 PM

CFB teams play 3-4 quality games all year, then try and put makeup on the teams they play, while tearing down teams their opponents play. That regular season is not worth setting such a horrible postseason.

A Champion is the team that wins when it matters. There is not "right" team, just who wins.

Football is more popular than basketball or baseball, but anyone arguing the bowl season is as good as March Madness or Omaha must not remember the endless boring December games. CFB postseason: win AND go home. A bunch of "friendlies."

don't get me wrong, i want a small play-off,but i love bowl

Apr 7, 2014, 9:54 AM

season as well - and yes - even those "crappy" december games. i guess it's just knowing that that is the final game of those two teams' year, and - same as a play-off, everyone wants to win their last game, esp. the sr.'s and jr's. that are leaving.

i will be happy with an 8-team play-off (at the most), and keeping the bowls for teams that don't make that cut. the biggest draw-back to the bigger play-off (say 16 or more teams) would be the fan travel (that college ball generates) , i actually hope they use the higher seeds home field as the game sites.

Let us review the criteria for making the playoff.

Apr 6, 2014, 11:59 PM

The win/loss record is the first consideration. Then Head to head matchups. After that conference champions will get 'special consideration.

The first eliminates any team that waits until the end of the season to 'get hot.' If anyone expects to make either the four or eight team field they need to come out firing on all eight cylinders. Most teams will fall out of consideration with one loss.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let us review the criteria for making the playoff.

Apr 7, 2014, 9:31 AM

I agree with the criteria you state but I don't think it works that way. I'm doubting that an undefeated Hawaii Team (about 2004) would have been in a 4-team playoff.

BUT ... any/all undefeated teams should be in the playoff ... and is the 1st expansion that I propose. To be more specific "After the 4-team field is selected, any/all undefeated teams will be added to the field. The 1st such added team will play the #4 team before Christmas (New Mexico Bowl?) ... the 2nd such added team will play the #3 team etc." If more than one undefeated team is selected in this manner, well shame on the selection folks.

Such a provision for an undefeated and uninvited team should be made before it happens ... or it will definitely happen.

Polls don't mean squat in basketball.***

Apr 7, 2014, 6:34 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic