Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pecans, Cotton and Geese
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1

Pecans, Cotton and Geese

Sep 20, 2019, 2:40 PM

That's an unusual combination of farming, Stahmanns Farms near Las Cruces, NM, is the largest family owned pecan orchard in the world with over 100,000 pecan trees. The farm began in 1932. During my working days I had the opportunity to visit the farm on a couple of occasions. During those visits, at least part of the orchard I saw, the trees had been pruned several years earlier. Not yet back at full size, there was enough sunlight between the rows to plant cotton. Rather than till the cotton mechanically for weeds, geese were used to do the weeding task. The geese did not eat the young cotton plants. When the geese were no longer needed for weeding, they were, so we say, prepared to be the entrée om someone's menu. The cotton was harvested and later on the pecans were harvested. I have never seen so many pecans on a tree.

Pecans were harvested and placed in huge field crates. The field crates were placed in a huge cold storage facility and the cracking and shelling operations were a year-round job.

I assume when the trees had returned to full size after pruning, there was not enough sunlight between the rows to warrant planning cotton, and, with no cotton, there was no need for the geese.

The Stahmann Farms is located in the Rio Grande valley and relies on irrigation water for their farms. An adequate water source is an important factor on how a tree will produce a maximum amount of nuts. Flood irrigation is the normal practice in this area and requires a system of ditches and flood gates. The figures I have available indicates there are about 70 to 80 pecan trees per acre so that would equate to well over 1250 acres in the orchard.

And that's your nut lesson for the day !!!!!

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is it nut cuttin time yet?***

Sep 20, 2019, 2:44 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Pecans, Cotton and Geese- I love Pecans

Sep 20, 2019, 3:28 PM

wsed to work with a guy who's family grew them. There are many varieties of them. We saw a place, Priesters and they had a display of about 50 different varieties

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pecans, Cotton and Geese

Sep 20, 2019, 3:59 PM

We did not have pecans but one year we used geese to weed the cotton crop. Geese make excellent watch dogs. A strange car never came in the yard without them making a racket.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic