Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pearl Harbor Day 1941, 1046, 2018
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,990

Pearl Harbor Day 1941, 1046, 2018

Dec 7, 2018, 12:11 PM

Three eventful dates !!! Having reached the ripe old age of 20 on Nov. 25, 1941, It was mandatory I report to the Post Office and register for the Military Draft. Twelve days later, while en route from Jacksonville, FL to Waycross, GA, the radio program was interrupted to announce the Japanese bombing at Pearl Harbor. It didn't take me long to realize my life would take a sudden turn in the immediate future.

On Pearl Harbor Day in 1946, while sitting on a cold bench on the campus at Florida State University, I asked a beautiful young lady if she would be my wife. I suggested she give me a definite "YES" or "NO" ASAP because I was getting cold. Fortunately, she said "YES" and we returned to a warmer spot in the building. We were together as man and wife for almost 66 years until her passing.

And here it is, 2018, and I am still here, grateful for all the blessings that have been bestowed upon me, but with a feeling of guilt, because in my heart, I think I am unworthy. Nevertheless, I cherish every moment because each one is a gift, truly a gift that keeps on giving. All of you guys and gals are a part of it.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pearl Harbor Day 1941, 1046, 2018

Dec 7, 2018, 12:24 PM

You, my friend, are a newfound treasure.

One I will cherish however many days on this earth I am blessed to enjoy.

You are a gift to all of us!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Joe...thanks for your service and your willingness to share

Dec 7, 2018, 12:24 PM

your life stories and love of the Tigers! God Bless!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Joe...thanks for your service and your willingness to share

Dec 7, 2018, 12:33 PM

Please fix his thread title for Joe!

Joe, I look forward to all of your posts. I thank you and all who fought to defend freedom. Let us remember all those who were lost at Pearl Harbor and during WWII on this day!

Message was edited by: djones73

Message was edited by: djones73

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2018, 12:56 PM

I swear Joe you're like the real life version of Paul Edgecomb in the Green Mile! And as always, thank you for your service!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congrats! I'm just thankful you

Dec 7, 2018, 1:18 PM

found TigerNet! Thank you Joe21 for all your posts! And of course for your service!

Go Tigers AND Tiger Nation!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Thanks for your service and posts on Tigernet

Dec 7, 2018, 1:28 PM

My dad was sitting on his bunk in Fort Sill when he heard the news of Pearl Harbor. From there he ended up going to England with the 66th infantry in December of 1944. On Christmas Eve of 1944 he crossed the English Channel into France on the HMS Cheshire, headed for the battle of the bulge. The next morning the men who had crossed on the HMS Cheshire found out that the other ship, the SS Leopoldville, had been torpedoed and sank costing them nearly 800 men. They spent a few days in Cherbourg waiting and reorganizing then their orders were changed and they marched through France seeing some pretty serious action and ended the war guarding prisoners in Germany. Dad said he had some great meals and great times in France because people were very grateful when they chased the Nazis out of their towns.

Dad would have been 100 years old in three days and he has been gone for nearly 19 years, I have the flag from his funeral in my Clemson man cave. I don't know where the time has gone. I used to love to hang out with my dad and my uncles while they took turns telling stories from the war. Unfortunately they are all gone and the stories and memories went with them. Joe I am very grateful to men like you, my dad, my uncles, G.H.W. Bush and millions of others who literally saved the world. God bless you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Heavyweight fights have their ring walks. CFB has Clemson's grandest entrance in sports."
Chris Fowler

Dec 7, 2018, 1:37 PM

Very cool stuff! My birthday falls today, so I've always taken a keen interest in Pearl Harbor Day, and those that served during WWII.

Thank you very much for your service and sacrifices, as well as for all the amazing stories you've shared with us. Keep it up! - can't wait to see you honored on the field during a game in the (hopefully) not too distant future!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2018, 1:44 PM

I send you a big Tiger thank-you for your Service which continues to ensure our freedoms and I send prayers that the blessings keep coming your way! You are indeed worthy Sir !

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2018, 2:03 PM

Joe, keep doing what you do. For me it is about the closest to hearing the type things my dad went through in his bomb group during the war. And please know how grateful we are for your service

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Joe you provide a much needed dose of integrity...

Dec 7, 2018, 2:42 PM

...to the TNets.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,990
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic