Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Past the "last link of the chain"? Bull!@#$
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Past the "last link of the chain"? Bull!@#$

Sep 13, 2014, 10:55 PM

NCAA Football Rules and Interpretation 2013-2014

Rule 1, Section 2, Article 7a:

"The yardage chain shall join two rods not fewer than 5 feet high, the rods’ inside edges being exactly 10 yards apart when the chain is fully extended."

So, contrary to what the announcers said, it's not the last link of the chain that indicates a first down, it's the inside edge of the rod.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

feel better now? ;)***

Sep 13, 2014, 10:57 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think that officiating is at an all time low, and it's sad

Sep 13, 2014, 11:02 PM

to see their incompetence affecting the outcomes of so many games. Not to mention the competence of the announcers. Just my opinion.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

agree on announcers. refs have real jobs, they r not pros

Sep 13, 2014, 11:04 PM

and do a pretty good job generally, i think

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: agree on announcers. refs have real jobs, they r not pros

Sep 14, 2014, 9:42 AM

Say what? These guys are pros. That is what they get paid a large amount of money to do. I know some basketball and football officials and these guys are making large salaries. Some have other jobs they do simply for extra income during the week, but most just officiate these games full time.

I am talking triple digit salary.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was was our game that they pulled out the index card and denied us a 1st down?

Sep 13, 2014, 10:58 PM

Nm

The sun was in our eyes..***

Sep 13, 2014, 10:59 PM

They would have just moved it further if they knew the rule***

Re: Past the "last link of the chain"? Bull!@#$

What's done is done. The last link in the chain = where the pole starts. So it's all semantics, really. It has to get to the pole, not past it.

Again, did it? Announcers didn't think so.***

Sep 13, 2014, 11:00 PM

"The last link in the chain = where the pole starts"

Sep 13, 2014, 11:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Past the "last link of the chain"? Bull!@#$ ]

An engineer would be pissed...'meh, close enough.'

negative

Sep 13, 2014, 11:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Past the "last link of the chain"? Bull!@#$ ]

^This***

Sep 13, 2014, 11:47 PM

- H. L. Mencken

II can't stand announcers that don't know the rules

Isn't that like priority 1A when applying for a job? Knowing the rules?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's an SEC v SEC game. Rules are made up as they go.***

Georgia needs to file a protest and the Tigers need to break our 0-for-seemingly-forever streak to bring the world back into balance. We would have broken the streak two years ago if Obama hadn't been re-elected.

Sep 13, 2014, 11:02 PM

Correct. The tip of the ball was covered by the rod. In my opinion, it was a first down. To me the whole process seems a bit stupid. Two linesmen stick their foot on the ground. The referee sticks the ball on the ground somewhere between the two feet. THEN, they get a set of chains and measure it to the 1/32nd of an inch. The spot, not the measurement is where I see the flaw to be.

Sep 13, 2014, 11:04 PM

I was listening on the radio so I didn't see the spot or the chain. But good Lord! Georgia had them backed up on their own 4 yardline knowing they had to eat the clock, and still let them run it down there throats.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 13, 2014, 11:05 PM

*their

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 13, 2014, 11:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Past the "last link of the chain"? Bull!@#$ ]

Thats Ga's "bend but not break defense" at its finest.

Sep 14, 2014, 12:12 AM

They just covered it again on ESPN and said ball only needs to get to last link of chain. This somewhat makes sense because the pole can be tilted towards the ball or away from the ball but the links in the chain can't be manipulated.

Again, that's not what the rules say.***

Sep 14, 2014, 6:10 AM

- H. L. Mencken

Re: Again, that's not what the rules say.***

Sep 14, 2014, 8:02 AM

The only thing the rule says is that the inside edges shall be 10 yards apart. The rule does not say the tip of the ball must touch the rod.

I'm not saying there is a rule about just getting inside the last link of the chain, but the rule you posted says nothing about the ball touching the rod.

Rule 5, Section 1A, Article 2a:

Sep 14, 2014, 9:11 AM

"Line to Gain
ARTICLE 2. a. The line to gain for a series shall be established 10 yards in
advance of the most forward point of the ball; but if this line is in the opponent’s
end zone, the goal line becomes the line to gain."

You have to go 10 yards for a first down (Line to gain); 10 yards is from inside edge of the one rod to the inside edge of the other, when the chain is fully extended. If the most forward point of the ball has not reached the inside edge of the forward most rod, it has not gone 10 yards, and it is not a first down.

There is certainly no mention, as far as I could find, of anything about the "last link of chain" as the announcers said.

- H. L. Mencken

But, But, But

Sep 14, 2014, 7:15 AM

Not all rules apply to everyone

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not so certain the ruling would have mattered,

Sep 14, 2014, 7:39 AM

because I believe ole Spurrier had Richt on the ropes; the Gamecock players knew it, and either Richt would have screwed up any advantage or the Gamecock defense would have denied a Georgia advantage.

Seems to me UGA had already lost the game with their last possession, which executed the way they played it, they should have.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You may be right hartins, but it would be nice to know how

Sep 14, 2014, 9:29 AM

it would have played out had the refs made the correct call.

- H. L. Mencken

Yes. That is why you occasionally see them pul out a credit

Sep 14, 2014, 8:26 AM

card and attempt to slide it between. Those guys in the booth made several stupid statements last night.

Re: Yes. That is why you occasionally see them pul out a credit

Sep 14, 2014, 8:41 AM

I'll just add this, since I know there are some engineers on this board.....

Given that we are talking millimeters here, unless the camera is directly perpendicular to the ball/rod the camera view can show a gap. In addition the pole can be leaned slightly away from the ball......there is no way to know if the ball was touching the rod or not based on a momentary camera shot from a camera that was 20 yards away.

That is a very good point.

Sep 14, 2014, 9:37 AM

My argument is based on the angle we saw on tv, and from that angle it was not a first down. That may be a flawed argument, however, based on the very valid point you make.

- H. L. Mencken

They sure did.***

Sep 14, 2014, 9:30 AM [ in reply to Yes. That is why you occasionally see them pul out a credit ]

- H. L. Mencken

Worse is that they marked it ahead of where officials had it***

Sep 14, 2014, 8:48 AM

Re: Worse is that they marked it ahead of where officials had it***

Sep 14, 2014, 9:48 AM

There's simply no way that the spot on that play can be determined within a half an inch, that's what you're talking about here. It's an inexact science on both sides.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic