Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
About the "importance of the rivalry".....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

About the "importance of the rivalry".....

Jun 15, 2014, 9:10 AM

I think the 5 straight losses to SCU has clouded some people's minded about the nature of our rivalry with SCU. What the rivalry means to Clemson is you don't want to lose to SCU because it's embarrassing and because beating them takes so much spirit out of their program and fans. The game against SCU, until the 5 in a row, wasn't even a game most Clemson fans would mark down as the game we want to win the most in a season. That was because beating SCU was expected and almost a given. The games we as fans usually have mark downed is FSU, and on the rare occasion we play them now Georgia.

For SCU, Clemson is the end all, be all of their existence. Clemson is what they want to be. They want our culture. They want the scenery our campus has. As much as a lot of their fans claim to hate Clemson, deep down they love everything about Clemson. They are just mad that SCU can never be like Clemson. SCU has so little belief in themselves as far as ever winning a conference title or getting to a national title game. Playing Clemson is their national title game every year.

SCU could go 6-6 next season, but if they beat us, to them the season would be just as successful as their 3 straight 11 win seasons. For us 6-6 and beating them wouldn't be much of a consolation prize.

Now this season beating SCU is the most important because of the 5 in a row. Beating FSU or UGA, won't mean much with another loss to the coots. The 5 in a row has been a complete embarrassment and unacceptable, even with them doing good. We still out recruit them every year. We still have fans that stay the whole game. There has been no valid excuse for any of the 5 losses.

But this narrative about certain players and coaches not understanding the rivalry is absurd. Anybody who plays sports knows the importance of beating your rival. What's even more absurd are the people who claim Dabo doesn't understand the rivalry. That's just a down right stupid and moronic notion. Dabo played and coached at Alabama, whose rivalry with Auburn is the most intense in college football. So Dabo has a full understanding about the importance of beating your rival.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: About the "importance of the rivalry".....

Jun 15, 2014, 9:35 AM

This is a really well-written post, and I agree with the main points, and I would not be happy with 6-6 and beating the chickens - BUT - I'll take 8-4 and beating the chickens.

Bottom line: It's gotten so important now after 5-in-a-row, that 1-11 and beating the chickens might be a good start. I guess there are many that will never understand that - including our coaches and players.

C'est la vie.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 15, 2014, 9:36 AM

I am of the notion that beating the Coots is important for "feel good " and for bragging rights and all the stuff that goes along with that but that so long as we take care of conference wins and schedule well enough to position ourselves in this new playoff scenario we should be ok with the occasional loss to the Chicken Stock.
My hope is that they stay semi-competitive after The Sack retires to golf next year , because it would hurt us if they return to their normal level of epic sucking.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Beat the PECKERHEADS!!!

Jun 15, 2014, 9:41 AM

Go Tigers! :)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 15, 2014, 9:44 AM

There is no doubt that beating the chickens is of utmost importance! Their team, fans and big mouth coach all need to be brought back to the reality of this rivalry!! Goooo Tigers!

I hear what you are saying... but we have to beat the coots.

Jun 15, 2014, 10:25 AM

Dabo's contract and buyout make it completely worthless to talk about expectations though. We could go 0-22 and Dabo is secure because of the dang contract.

I hope Dabo finds a way to outfox the fox. Spurrier is just the strategically superior coach. That's not a slam on Dabo, Spurrier has done what I thought was impossible. Making the coots into big-time winners. He's one of the best coaches in the history or college football.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's exactly what I stated in my post...

Jun 15, 2014, 5:03 PM

I was just pointing the true nature of our rivalry with the coots, and how the rivalry applies to each school. Too many people are acting like our rivalry with SCU is like more competitive and intense rivalries.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In due time...

Jun 15, 2014, 10:51 AM

Many important battles before that one.

Can't look ahead that far.

Haha this post made laugh.

Jun 15, 2014, 3:41 PM

Well done, very funny

Re: Haha this post made laugh.

Jun 15, 2014, 5:05 PM

Because it's true?

You like laughing? Answer this...how many championships

Jun 15, 2014, 6:46 PM [ in reply to Haha this post made laugh. ]

has USuCk won? Now THAT'S hilarious. It's sad that any recruits take your program seriously...

Jun 15, 2014, 7:59 PM [ in reply to Haha this post made laugh. ]

You know what makes me laugh??? The way you trailer trash #### lovers flood our message boards. It's sad, funny, and ridiculous all at the same time. I have never and will never trolled a coot message board...

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 15, 2014, 9:37 PM [ in reply to Haha this post made laugh. ]

People who don't have the nuts to actually claim that they are Gamecock fans make us laugh, too.

POTD and POTY

Jun 15, 2014, 3:48 PM

Couldn't agree more

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: POTD and POTY

Jun 15, 2014, 5:08 PM

I don't care what anyone else thinks but dado should be firmly on the hotseat if we lose to them again this year. No university in America retains a coach who can't beat it's rival no matter what his list of accomplishments are.

So Dabo played at Alabama. So he understands. Useless post.***

Jun 15, 2014, 5:07 PM

Jun 15, 2014, 7:02 PM

I can't remember but I thought Dabo said it took a while to understand because he didn't think much of clemson's rivalry because of bama's. He didn't think any rivalry was as serious. Some of the players don't get it because they know nothing about the history. They want to beat any ranked team not just the coots. At this point I think the players are starting to understand. Coaches definitely do. This narrative is accurate not absurd.

Jun 15, 2014, 8:14 PM

It wasn't very important 6 years ago when we fired our head coach.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please proof read

Jun 15, 2014, 10:56 PM

Don't want to be a grammer or spelling policeman but DAMX!!

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic