Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Haven't seen it mentioned but Austin Ajukwa is transferring
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Haven't seen it mentioned but Austin Ajukwa is transferring

Nov 3, 2015, 10:35 AM

from the Clemson hoops team.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Haven't seen it mentioned but Austin Ajukwa is transferring

Nov 3, 2015, 10:36 AM

Yes there was a thread last night. Confirmed from Austin himself. He doesn't know where he his transferring but just has to find a better situation for himself. Straight from him.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 3, 2015, 10:43 AM

Was it because of playing time?

Nov 3, 2015, 10:50 AM

Didn't give a specific reason. Seems logical though.

Nov 3, 2015, 11:09 AM [ in reply to Re: Haven't seen it mentioned but Austin Ajukwa is transferring ]

Yea he only averaged 12 MPG last year and was getting less PT as the year went on.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Nov 3, 2015, 11:16 AM

Well, that makes sense. Hope he does well wherever he goes.

That is simply not true. His playing time actually

Nov 3, 2015, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Haven't seen it mentioned but Austin Ajukwa is transferring ]

increased over the course of the season above his playing average for the year. Over the last 9 games his playing time increased to almost 16 minutes per game.

Facts don't support your position.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And was up 73% from his freshman year. So, one could

Nov 3, 2015, 11:25 AM

reasonably conclude that his playing time would only increase, especially with the loss of Hall and Harrison and the use of two scholarships on guards that cannot play this year.

This is not a good development no matter how you spin it or mislead about it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 3, 2015, 10:58 AM

Brownell has a very hard time managing his rooster, reminds me of the last year's of Cliff Ellis. Ellis had a three year NCAA investigation to deal with though, not so sure why Brownell has such a high turnover. When Brownell got here his plan was to sign lower level players and keep them 4 or 5 years and win with experience over one and done players because he couldn't get top level talent. Well its starting to look like he can't do either, but I could be wrong.

Nov 3, 2015, 11:07 AM

Great job not paying attention to our Basketball recruiting and talking out of your ###.

Brownell never said that was his plan.

ALL Clemson coaches for the most part have won with experience at Clemson. That has always been the recipe for success. Look at most of our best squads. They have had great Senior leadership and most of the production came from Juniors and Seniors.

Trevor Booker is pretty much the only young player who has come in and made an instant impact in the last decade. We dont recruit McDonalds AAs every year. Never have and more than likely never will with the Dukes, Kentucky, UNC, Louisville, and Kansas type programs around.

Basketball as a whole has a high roster turn over in college at the moment.

null

Nov 3, 2015, 11:24 AM

I have followed it and watch us lose recruit after recruit, then bring in fall back players to try and fill the roster. If your happy with the job Brownell is doing then that's great for you. I'm not happy, I think the program was in much better shape when he got here and the wins prove that out. Clemson can win with the right coach, Foster took us to the elite 8, Ellis won until the Wayne Buckingham investigation, Barns had a short run before leaving for Texas, and OP was winning and making the NCAA tournament. Brownell just doesn't seem to be able to attract enough talent and keep it to win, and I think we can do better.

AMEN!!!***

Nov 3, 2015, 12:10 PM

Re: AMEN!!!***

Nov 3, 2015, 12:37 PM

shocking the same usual suspects are in this thread.

Sad. I am sure you guys are just giddy waiting on the Tigers to possibly lose a bball game.

null

Good job!!

Nov 3, 2015, 12:44 PM

Good job stating nothing about basketball or Clemson.

SCOK

Nov 3, 2015, 12:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Haven't seen it mentioned but Austin Ajukwa is transferring ]

Our past two classes have been good by Clemson standards.

You obviously have not followed or you would konw this.

null

Which is why losing the junior and senior years of Ajukwa is

Nov 3, 2015, 11:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Haven't seen it mentioned but Austin Ajukwa is transferring ]

a bad thing. It will be 2-3 years before a replacement can be recruited, redshirted and developed by his junior year.

Re: Which is why losing the junior and senior years of Ajukwa is

Nov 3, 2015, 12:08 PM

I disagree. My guess would be the development of some of this years sophomores and the new freshman coming in, Ajukwa probably saw the writing on the wall that he would not be getting same if not less playing time then what he got last year.

The largest increase in development is between the freshman and sophomore years. Some higher rated players don't seem to have any problem transitioning from high school to college plan. Redshirting is rare in college basketball and usually occurs when there is an injury.

Brownell is doing fine. He has had incredible bad luck with injuries but he is building a solid foundation for our program that he can continue to grow. He didn't inherit a program like Dabo did that had solid players he could build around.

Out of Gabe DeVoe, Jordan Roper, Avry Holmes and Ty Hudson

Nov 3, 2015, 12:18 PM

who do you see that would have taken his minutes. Two of those guys are point guards and one is 5'11" and is now considered a backup point guard(which I find surprising considering he can't use right hand). None of those guys has his length or defensive abilities. We lost Hall and Harrison - a 6'6" perimeter player like Ajukwa. Two guards are ineligible this year.

His minutes were going to increase.

Re: Out of Gabe DeVoe, Jordan Roper, Avry Holmes and Ty Hudson

Nov 3, 2015, 3:45 PM

Probably all of the above. But I haven't been to a practice to see who has been good or poorly. What I do know is I watched him play last year and wasn't really impressed and there has been no articles or statements from Brownell on his improvement. We do have higher rated guys coming in and that are on the team. The other two transfers are also rated higher then he was. It's all speculation but Ajukwa may have looked past this year and seen everyone that may be in front of him on the depth chart and decided to take his skills else where and have two years to play instead of leaving next year and only having one.

Ajukwa was also more of a defensive player and lacked offensive abilities. Brownell, from what little has been out there, appears to be focusing on more offensive players.

Brownell manages his rooster OK, has done well against

Nov 3, 2015, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Re: Haven't seen it mentioned but Austin Ajukwa is transferring ]

SCAR.
All kidding aside, the amount of transfers is a cause for concern.

Definitely hurts depth at small forward

Nov 3, 2015, 11:17 AM

Ajukwa was a pretty good defensive player. Was looking forward to seeing if he could take the next step on offense . Good luck to him.

Re: Brownell manages his rooster OK, has done well against

Nov 3, 2015, 11:30 AM [ in reply to Brownell manages his rooster OK, has done well against ]

If beating South Carolina is your standard then it's very low, they haven't made the NCAA since Fogler, and he was the 1st coach to take them since the early 70's. I just think we can do much, much better.

More bad news for Brownell. He needs these kids to stick

Nov 3, 2015, 11:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Haven't seen it mentioned but Austin Ajukwa is transferring ]

around until their junior and senior years so he can get some good playing time out of them, but he keeps losing them to transfer before we get the benefit of recruiting these lower level kids and coaching them up. Surprising when you consider how little guard depth we have this year and how much playing time he was going to get. Makes us a lot smaller on the perimeter too.

1 step forward and 2 steps back. Looking more and more like year 7 may be a decent year and then another step back for a couple more years.

Nov 3, 2015, 11:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Haven't seen it mentioned but Austin Ajukwa is transferring ]

If you view transfers in college basketball as "not being able to manage a roster," then there's not a Coach in America that can manage his roster.

It's an epidemic.

Nov 3, 2015, 12:38 PM

you are wasting your time.

null

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic