Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
South Carolina loses the following players
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 79
| visibility 1

South Carolina loses the following players

Jan 4, 2013, 8:44 AM

Shaq Wilson LB
Devin Taylor DE
DJ Swearinger S
Maybe Ace Sanders WR
Kenny Miles RB
Lattimore RB
Byron Jerideau DT
Demario Jeffrey LB
Devonte Holloman S
Akeem Auguste CB

They need to be worried about Vandy let alone us. This was their upper class year. Next year is ours.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: South Carolina loses the following players

Jan 4, 2013, 8:48 AM

Where's Ace Sanders going?

Jan 4, 2013, 8:51 AM

Rumor is he's declaring for draft. I don't blame him with that group leaving

Their players never stay for their senior year....

Jan 4, 2013, 11:35 AM [ in reply to Re: South Carolina loses the following players ]

they get out of that hell hole as fast as possible.

Re: Their players never stay for their senior year....

Jan 4, 2013, 2:41 PM

Of those listed only 2 are Juniors (Lattimore and Sanders) and I think Sanders will be back... so what the hell are you talking about?

Here we go.....

Jan 4, 2013, 2:54 PM

Jeffery, Lattimore, Jared Cook, Emmanuel Cooke, Joseph, Simpson, Gurley, Munnerlyn, Williamson, Rice, Saunders.....etc.

If you want me to keep going I can.

I'll just let you look over the list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Carolina_Gamecocks_football#Gamecocks_in_the_NFL

(Just scroll through there look up there stats and see how many played all four years.)

Apology accepted

The coots' wave has crested. It will be a good long

Jan 4, 2013, 8:48 AM

time before they're as good as they've been for the last 3-4 years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Next year isn't our upper class year

Jan 4, 2013, 8:54 AM

Again I think we lose only about 11 or 12 seniors, and probably Watkins.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I call upper class junior and senior nm

Jan 4, 2013, 9:03 AM

Nm

Watkins has to perform before he can leave early.***

Jan 4, 2013, 9:40 AM [ in reply to Next year isn't our upper class year ]

Seriously?????***

Jan 4, 2013, 11:49 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not really. NFL teams draft on potential and athleticism

Jan 4, 2013, 11:51 AM [ in reply to Watkins has to perform before he can leave early.*** ]

all of the time.

He proved his freshman year that he can perform. Anyway, barring injuries and arrests again next year, he WILL perform so it's really a moot point.

Jan 4, 2013, 8:55 AM

D@mn, Devonte Holloman is leaving already? It seems like yesterday that he was the #2 ranked DB behind Craig Loston at LSU and they both DECOMMITTED from us...

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Jan 4, 2013, 11:54 AM

as did stephon gilmore.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Jan 4, 2013, 3:12 PM

I thought coach Cheese was an 'all World' recruiter!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Left out TE Cunningham nm

Jan 4, 2013, 9:04 AM

Nm

I think they'll be pretty good again.

Jan 4, 2013, 9:08 AM

QBs are back, as are most of the receiving core and O-line. Clowney is back. Good depth on defense...I think they'll sort of re-load over there.

Receiving corps...heh.***

Jan 4, 2013, 9:08 AM

eh. I dont know about that bro.

Jan 4, 2013, 10:25 AM [ in reply to I think they'll be pretty good again. ]

The schedule certainly plays in their favor, but their O-line was not great, their qbs are average. Everything they do revolves around that D and they are losing a HUGE chunk of it.

Our offense did the most damage to Michigan.

Jan 4, 2013, 11:59 AM

Michigan came in with the 10th rated defense, giving up 312 yards per game and 19 points per game. We rolled up 426 yards on them and 33 points. We return most of that offense. We have recruited well on defense and return lots of talent there, especially on the defensive line, which is the most important part of the defense. Our defensive line will be loaded. Every year we lose players and coaches, which is supposed to spell doom for us according to TNET. I guess since everybody else loses players too, and we recruit, too, our turnover does not hurt us.

Re: Our offense did the most damage to Michigan.

Jan 4, 2013, 12:22 PM

Thanks for that Neilly, but your defense WILL see a drop next year. You're losing more than half of your defensive starters. Many considered our DL a few years ago to be the best in the country (Bowers, Jenkins, Thompson, Branch), and we went 7-6 I believe. The line is very important, but other things are as well. You've reached your peak, and the end is coming in a matter of years. Columbia is a crap hole. I know that. I've had the unfortunate pleasure of living here most of my 36 years. I'm on the cusp of moving to the NC mountains though, and cannot wait. No more bs sports radio, local sports tv, and being surrounded by ridiculous coot mania for me anymore! FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!

Run along now chicken. :)

Jan 4, 2013, 12:31 PM

We lost Allen, Gilmore, Ingram, etc to the NFL last year on our defense. We were pretty good this year to say the least. You guys lose some players to, on defense. Everybody loses players.

Jan 4, 2013, 12:35 PM

The players you are losing are much better than the ones we are losing, and the ones we have coming in behind them should have no drop off. I don't think the same can be said SCAR's case.

Go blow your smoke on a SCAR message board. It will be welcome there.

Look at TigerRules "Early Bird" link. They have us at #10

Jan 4, 2013, 12:46 PM

and clemson at number 13, pre-seaon (2013).

You all said the exact same thing last year when we lost a lot of defensive players to the NFL as well as losing Ellis Johnson. It didn't turn out quite like you hoped. So believe whatever makes you sleep easy. See ya.

LOL.

Jan 4, 2013, 12:48 PM

I don't know who you're referring to as "you all" or what "you all" said, but I'm willing to make a friendly wager your 2013 defense will not be as strong as 2012. You're simply losing too many experienced and talented players to expect it to be the same.

we went 6-7!

Jan 4, 2013, 12:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Our offense did the most damage to Michigan. ]

lost our bowl game.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: we went 6-7!

Jan 4, 2013, 12:36 PM

I thought that may have been the case. I remember it being a very disappointing year. I believe it was the year we should have beat Auburn and derailed their NC season.

You were definitely an older, more experienced team than us.

Jan 4, 2013, 12:29 PM [ in reply to Our offense did the most damage to Michigan. ]

It was 6 seasons before Spurrier did anything. He's had 3 successful seasons out of 8 years. And he's obviously an experienced veteran. What Dabo has done, he's done in his first 4 years of head coaching. It's a growing program, obviously. It's scary to think where he may have us in 8 years.

In any case, you lose a lot of talented and experienced players on defense. Expecting to not have a drop-off is kind of silly. I would guess your offense will remain about the same. Your offense is beatable; it's been your defense that's been the backbone of your 3 solid years under Spurrier.

Re: You were definitely an older, more experienced team than us.

Jan 4, 2013, 12:33 PM

You lose players on defense too. And our offense will be even more experienced next season.

And?

Jan 4, 2013, 12:37 PM

Our defense was hurt, young, and relatively inexperienced in . 60% of our entire two-deep was freshmen and sophomores. There's simply no comparing our defensive losses to yours. Please stop.

Practically the same doom and gloom was said about our

Jan 4, 2013, 12:51 PM

defense after last years losses to the NFL plus Ellis Johnson. It didn't turn out quite like you hoped. So it's pointless to go around in circles. I'll just say read TigerRules link to Early Bird, where they have us ranked pre-season (2013) at number 10. They have clemson at number 13. See ya.

Again, I have no idea what you're talking about as far as

Jan 4, 2013, 12:56 PM

doom and gloom, but saying you lose more tackles and talented experience this year than you did last year is completely accurate. That, and again, it's silly to say that losing as much as you are will not have impact on next season. But hey, at least you have a higher pre, pre, pre, preseason ranking from some website. That's awesome.

Their offense has shown me that they can move the ball

Jan 4, 2013, 12:33 PM [ in reply to eh. I dont know about that bro. ]

With a lot of different combinations. They may take step back on d inThe secondary but I don't expect it to spell doom for them. Swearingers physical play may be hard to replace but when teams had time they were not exactly great in coverage this yr so it's hard to say there will be a drop off. Teams that can contain clowney can move the ball and we have to get to that point.

Here's who we're losing, plus a link to many other top 25.

Jan 4, 2013, 9:10 AM

http://www.nationalchamps.net/2013/earlybird/teams/clemson.htm

Click on the Early Bird header for links to other schools.

Nice site. Thanx for the link. +1.***

Jan 4, 2013, 10:43 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

interesting comment on the site

Jan 4, 2013, 11:58 AM [ in reply to Here's who we're losing, plus a link to many other top 25. ]

"It would not be surprising to see Clemson dot a few Top Ten preseason lists based on the offensive firepower returning. However, after watching Clemson falter against top ranked opponents time and time again it's hard to designate them that high in such a list. Until they rise up and beat a Top Ten team, they just are not going to garner Top 10 respect."

Cross that one off the list.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

I'm not going to claim that our DBs are good, BUT

Jan 4, 2013, 11:59 AM [ in reply to Here's who we're losing, plus a link to many other top 25. ]

they really get a bad rap and take way too much of the blame for getting beat deep so often. It's just as much the responsibility of the PASS RUSH to prevent the deep balls as it is the CBs and/or deep safeties.

Let's face it, our pass rush was absolutely non-existent for much of the season. Look what happened when we played LSU and got constant pressure (with 6 sacks). How many deep balls did they hit? None. They had ONE good opportunity to hit a deep ball on us for a TD and Mettenberger overthrew the pass.

Re: I'm not going to claim that our DBs are good, BUT

Jan 4, 2013, 12:14 PM

I give much credit to Mance and Goodwin helping the staff out. Sure BV worked with em too.

Thanks for the link.***

Jan 4, 2013, 12:02 PM [ in reply to Here's who we're losing, plus a link to many other top 25. ]

Re: Here's who we're losing, plus a link to many other top 25.

Jan 4, 2013, 12:27 PM [ in reply to Here's who we're losing, plus a link to many other top 25. ]

Great link. I think we would be higher if they did that article now though. It's dated 12/18/12. They obviously wrote it then because of the "we need to beat a top 10 team" line.

I love that site. Mainly the all-time database. I've been using it for years.

We must have a lot of faith in the line

Jan 4, 2013, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Here's who we're losing, plus a link to many other top 25. ]

since we aren't going to play a center apparently.

Only difference

Jan 4, 2013, 9:10 AM

Our guys will be graduating and theirs will be going to work at Hardee's. I hear that the tudors are working with Clucks now trying to learn the drive thru talk

Jan 4, 2013, 9:16 AM

I heard a lot of the same things last year when Gilmore, Alshon, Ingram, and others went pro. Yet somehow we went 11-2 again.

We'll be fine.

Not only last year, but the year before that and the year

Jan 4, 2013, 11:47 AM

before that. Every player and coach we lost were supposed to spell doom for us. It's odd, but we recruit, too. And other teams lose players, too. Go figure.

Gamecocks responding to gamecocks

Jan 4, 2013, 1:53 PM

on a Clemson board, who'd of thunk it.

Doesn't matter---Clowney

Jan 4, 2013, 9:22 AM

going to play both sides of ball and special teams by himself.He will win the Heisman,Davey O'Brien,Maxwell,Doak Walker,John Mackey,Fred Biletnikoff,Johnny Unitas,Home Depot,Ray Guy and Lou Groza awards.On a sad note,he will miss out on the Campbell Student Athlete Award.But cha can't win em all.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, but they are "Roiding Up" a new class for next year!***

Jan 4, 2013, 9:30 AM

You left out A number of Players on The 2 Deep Depth Chart

Jan 4, 2013, 9:31 AM

D.L. Moore
J. Cunningham
Kaleb Broome
T.J. Johnson
Aldrick Fordham
Quin Smith
Reginald Bowens
Jared Shaw

AND their snapper, holder and placekicker

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: You left out A number of Players on The 2 Deep Depth Chart

Jan 4, 2013, 3:28 PM

TJ Johnson will be a big loss. The rest of those guys, not so much. Cunningham came up big this year, but our younger TE's are more athletic, they just need to get better at blocking.

I still think our D-line will be great, and our secondary will be OK. We pretty much lose all of our linebackers, which is troublesome but if we can somehow escape UGA in week 2 our schedule really doesn't look too difficult.

Re: You left out A number of Players on The 2 Deep Depth Chart

Jan 7, 2013, 11:04 AM

Whoa you play in the SEC every game is like playing in the super bowl

That and they have the easiest

Jan 4, 2013, 9:34 AM

Schedule in the $ec EZ division

Re: That and they have the easiest

Jan 4, 2013, 3:31 PM

I think this is the most important thing. IMO Georgia made the SEC championship game the last 2 years bc of their schedule, and next year it looks like we get the easy schedule.

Jan 4, 2013, 10:17 AM

We are losing some key contributors too. Goodman, Freeman, Ellington, Willard, and Meeks. Both teams will reload and probably won't skip a beat. South Carolina just needs to find ONE quarterback and stick with him, switching back and forth means you have no QB.

They beat us with a backup QB and RB...two years in a row***

Jan 4, 2013, 10:33 AM

Re: They beat us with a backup QB and RB...two years in a row***

Jan 4, 2013, 10:44 AM

He may not be a backup for very long. IMO, he gave them the best chance to win.

I laugh when I read "backup QB and RB".

Jan 4, 2013, 12:34 PM [ in reply to They beat us with a backup QB and RB...two years in a row*** ]

As if the 'backup' is a drop-off, and as if the RB had any impact whatsoever. In fact, in a lot of ways the 'backup' was better suited to beat us both of the last two years, considering A) our QB run weakness last year, and B) our loss of players and pass defense weakness this year.

JUCO time***

Jan 4, 2013, 10:42 AM

Jan 4, 2013, 10:47 AM

These posts are an embarrassment.

Does kind of reek of "wait till next year."

Jan 4, 2013, 12:00 PM

It would be a decent discussion without the "next year is our year" stuff.

I think it's been proven time and time again that you have no idea how your season is going to go until you play all of the games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's what fans do. When one season is over they look

Jan 4, 2013, 12:52 PM

towards the next one. No sense trying to stop or change that aspect of fandom.

Ace Sanders would be a 4th rounder at best

Jan 4, 2013, 11:53 AM

and that's because of his return ability, I would rather have Adam Humphries

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Ace Sanders would really be a huge loss for them. He

Jan 4, 2013, 12:02 PM

makes all of the electric plays.

Same thing was said about Alshon Jeffery, and I touted our

Jan 4, 2013, 12:05 PM

depth and talent. We have very good depth and talent at wide receiver.

And we could replace Hopkins with our great WR depth

Jan 4, 2013, 12:19 PM

too. That doesn't mean it isn't a big loss.

As you imply, EVERY team has losses.

Jan 4, 2013, 12:27 PM

Spurrier does a super job of evaluating prospects and developing them. That's why we beat clemson, Tennessee, Georgia and Michigan this season...all teams which normally have higher ranked recruiting classes than us. We will have our 3rd straight Top 10 team next season.

What are you not getting?

Jan 4, 2013, 12:40 PM

Of course every team has losses. That goes without saying. It also goes without saying that some teams lose more than others. It also goes without saying, or should, that your defense has been the backbone of the success you've had the last 3 years. Considering the amount of tackles and experience you're losing on the defensive side of the ball, it would be foolish to expect you to maintain the same level of play. Are you trying to be foolish, or is that by mistake?

Re: What are you not getting?

Jan 4, 2013, 12:57 PM

Again, go read Early Bird. While you are at it, go read what you all said with all the NFL talent we lost last year. You said the exact same thing.

Some of your fellow clemson fans, on THIS thread, disagree with your doom and gloom about us. They learned after they got burned. Believe whatever you want.

LOL. 'Early Bird' has NOTHING to do with it.

Jan 4, 2013, 1:01 PM

Again, who is "you all" and what did "you all" say? Note that I am not "you all" nor have I predicted any doom and gloom. But note too, you are losing an above average amount of talent and experience from your defensive roster. To expect that to not have an impact is foolish.

All in all, you're not making any sense. You seem to have an inability to see things from an objective standpoint.

Meh. They will be good again next year as long as they have

Jan 4, 2013, 12:05 PM

a game changing player like Clowney. Face it, OBS has built a solid program there. They might not be tops in the SEC but they should be in the upper echelon of CFB. Thompson(sp?) is a good QB from what I've seen of him. I think they'll do fine next year and will easily be favored in our game until our defense shows consistent improvement.

I bought into that $hit last year when they lost all that

Jan 4, 2013, 12:15 PM

NFL talent plus Ellis Johnson. I didn't expect them to win more than 7, and said so here. Look it up. I certainly didn't expect them to beat us. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. And they beat us with their backup QB and backup RBs. We lose very good players too. And as bad as Harbison was as DB coach, I'm not sold on Reed, whose DB was ranked lower than ours.

'backup QB and backup RB'

Jan 4, 2013, 12:44 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=13424400

That, and if you believe what you typed there, how about we make a friendly wager? I bet we will improve on defense, and Scarolina will have a drop-off.

SC has a solid program

Jan 4, 2013, 12:25 PM

No doubt about it they have become a consistently good team. I do think the defense has been ahead of the offense, though, and they lose a ton of experience on that side of the ball. I expect them to be a little down from the past two years but not much. I am guessing 8 or 9 wins.

Yeah I think the LSU win

Jan 4, 2013, 12:30 PM

will change a lot of opinions about Clemson. Now if Tajh leaves early that changes everything.....

Neilly, don't you think some of the

Jan 4, 2013, 12:37 PM

near losses like Vandy, Tennessee and Michigan would likely have gone the other way with a less experiences defense?

Can't you read? "EVERY" team loses players!

Jan 4, 2013, 12:45 PM

;)

Vandy and Michigan will have comparable losses. Regarding

Jan 4, 2013, 1:08 PM [ in reply to Neilly, don't you think some of the ]

Tennessee, we put up 38 points on them, and most of our offense returns. The "Early Bird" people rank us number 10 pre-season. Spurrier has been at Carolina now long enough that we have the depth to reload. Again, I would just remind you that we lost better talent on defense last year when 2 of our guys were drafted among the Top 15 picks.

Got to go. You all have a good day.

Re: Vandy and Michigan will have comparable losses. Regarding

Jan 7, 2013, 11:09 AM

You gave up 35!!!!!!! to a bad team

We must beat them in 2013

Jan 4, 2013, 3:14 PM

They lose all those people and we have juniors and seniors everywhere. No excuses.

we'll be losing a lot of good players every year from now on

Jan 4, 2013, 4:05 PM

that's what happens when you recruit good players every year and develop them to be even better players.

Jan 7, 2013, 2:03 PM

Think they could have some issues early in the season with those loses. Georgia on the road is likely a loss with Murray back and wanting to salvage at least one win against them...However, I'm sure they'll have it figured out by the time we roll into Columbia.

Say what you want about Spurrier - the guy is a winner and he loves rival games. We'll have to bring another LSU-type of effort to try to win it.

Replies: 79
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic