Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Other Sports Update: Hoover Resigns as Clemson Volleyball Coach
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 64
| visibility 1

Other Sports Update: Hoover Resigns as Clemson Volleyball Coach

Feb 3, 2015, 6:08 PM

Hoover Resigns as Clemson Volleyball Coach

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The obvious question is why

Feb 3, 2015, 6:14 PM

nm

Re: The obvious question is why

Feb 3, 2015, 6:27 PM

After 25 years of being a head coach, maybe she just needs a break. Her youngest daughter plays softball for LSU, so my guess is she wants to spend some time watching her play.

Re: The obvious question is why

Feb 3, 2015, 6:30 PM

And a state pension would enable that.

Thanks for being a devoted Tiger, Jolene. Best wishes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

May I take this one, please?

Feb 3, 2015, 7:04 PM [ in reply to Re: The obvious question is why ]

Because she has been there fore 22 years and the program is about as unremarkable as possible! I realize that no one cares one lick about Volleyball (until Olympic Beach Volleyball every 4 years) but her results after getting a nice paycheck for so long are abysmal! Radakovich ain't playing that game the way Robinson did.

Notice there was no mention of D Rad...only Dwight Rainey and Bobby Robinson. Those two have been gone for how long now? D Rad forced her #### out.

Btw, Women's Volleyball, along with Women's Basketball,, Golf, Tennis and Gymnastics has guaranteed full schollys like Men's Football and Basketball. You can't slice them up like other sports. What a frigging joke! Everyone knows the truth about it though; a mere excuse to counter the T9 issue. Nice easy way to get a free $160 k education at a great school like Clemson though. If I had a daughter, that would be the route I'd steer her if she couldn't play Golf.

I remember the Wrestling team having to share the facility with those girls down at Jervey. The wrestlers would be coming back from training like they had just been to war while the Volleyballers would look like they just came back from a family reunion at the end of their practices!

Flame away Vollyball sycophants!

Then why is it resigning instead of retiring?....

Feb 3, 2015, 7:47 PM [ in reply to Re: The obvious question is why ]

Feels like the Jim Davis situation with the women's basketball program. And we all know how far the women's basketball program has fallen off since Davis was forced out.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm hearing that she intentionally quit

Feb 3, 2015, 7:49 PM

Today in an awkward time (first day of practice for spring volleyball) in order to stick it to DRad.

What motive would have her do that?***

Feb 3, 2015, 7:51 PM

The new administration did not support her

Feb 3, 2015, 7:56 PM

Much. And she was almost fired. Volleyball has been over since November. This is a very odd time to resign, unless it's intentional.

Re: The new administration did not support her

Feb 3, 2015, 9:02 PM

Here inlies the problem.

The new administration particularly DRad isn't worried about stepping on toes to get to the top. I personally do not care for people like him and this is one more sign of his do all to win mentality. No problem with winning. We as Tiger faithful have every desire to win but this fella runs me the wrong way as to how he goes about it.

just my 2 cents

Your two cents...

Feb 3, 2015, 9:04 PM

are right on the money.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Another way to look at it: he is just doing what he thinks is best.

Feb 3, 2015, 9:37 PM [ in reply to Re: The new administration did not support her ]

He isn't as concerned with tenure and personality. He can't be, because his main jobs is to have winning programs which consist of players who represent Clemson well on the court and in the classroom. He also has to look at finances, including fundraising and facilities. It is a tough job.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Another way to look at it: he is just doing what he thinks is best.

Feb 3, 2015, 11:16 PM

Yeah like charging the students to go to games??? The man is a HUGE jerk

typical "Chick" move....especially for someone who has.....

Feb 3, 2015, 8:49 PM [ in reply to I'm hearing that she intentionally quit ]

Been on the state nipple for 22 years. Might have well just been on welfare...

Are you gunning for "D0uchebag Of The Day" award?

Feb 4, 2015, 7:39 AM

Because I think you've won it hands down.

Re: typical "Chick" move....especially for someone who has.....

Feb 4, 2015, 12:48 PM [ in reply to typical "Chick" move....especially for someone who has..... ]

Spoken like a true liberal...

For Stanford not LSU***

Feb 3, 2015, 7:58 PM [ in reply to Re: The obvious question is why ]

Re: For Stanford not LSU***

Feb 3, 2015, 8:03 PM

Carly transferred to LSU I believe

Re: For Stanford not LSU***

Feb 3, 2015, 8:31 PM

You are correct. I talked with Kristen Faust last weekend about this. Jolene's daughtered transferred from Stanford to LSU.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uh... Stanford degree vs LSU? What a knucklehead!***

Feb 3, 2015, 8:51 PM

Re: Uh... Stanford degree vs LSU? What a knucklehead!***

Feb 3, 2015, 9:16 PM

Appears you don't like the Hoovers

Re: Uh... Stanford degree vs LSU? What a knucklehead!***

Feb 3, 2015, 11:17 PM [ in reply to Uh... Stanford degree vs LSU? What a knucklehead!*** ]

You are a prick

Wow wow wow

Feb 3, 2015, 6:39 PM

This hurts. She is one of the last remaining long-term coaches at Clemson. She has been an incredible coach. I wish her the best with whatever direction she takes and I hope we make a hire that will be here for 20+ more years, but this one hurts.

I'm pretty sure Leggett is the second longest tenure for a head coach at Clemson now (behind Penley)?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Other Sports Update: Hoover Resigns as Clemson Volleyball Coach

Feb 3, 2015, 6:46 PM

Coach Hoover did a great job at Clemson. Lots of success. Many thanks for job well done.

i don't know...

Feb 3, 2015, 6:55 PM

The thing that gets me is that she "resigned" rather than "retired". Yes it is a technicality but implies that either 1) it wasn't her choice or 2) she is going somewhere else. I may be completely wrong but I feel like DRad's fingerprints are all over this.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No Question about it! DRad told her to "Beat Feet"

Feb 3, 2015, 7:17 PM

Hanging around for 22 years with only 2 ACC championships in a sport that stupid? Please!!!! Enjoy your fat, juicy state pension, Jolene!

If only we all could all be so lucky as to make a nice living as a fake coach in a stupid "picnic" activity such as Vollyball!

Volleyball has been one of the best sports at Clemson

Feb 3, 2015, 7:24 PM

for a long time.

If she was forced out as you claim, it is as short sighted as what happened with Davis, Kriese, Pollack, Adair, and the Leones. None of those were good decisions on the AD's part and neither would this one if that is the case. I sincerely hope it was by her choice otherwise we can look forward to 5-10 bad years just like all of those programs went through.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is that you, Mrs... ehhhmI mean, Mr Hoover?

Feb 3, 2015, 7:27 PM

N/m

What exactjy has made her one of the best?

Feb 3, 2015, 7:48 PM [ in reply to Volleyball has been one of the best sports at Clemson ]

She has had 3 years of note and all 3 ended in untimely early exits in the NCAAs. The team has been the definition of mediocre for a long time. Always around 6-9 in the ACC.

The ACC is a weak Volleyball conference

Feb 3, 2015, 9:36 PM

We haven't been the best team under Hoover, but we've been competitive in the ACC for many years, won regular season and tournament titles, and made some NCAA appearances. That is more than most of the ACC can say. Could we possibly get better? I'm sure we could. I just can't think of one recent 10+ year coach that has left Clemson where that ended up being a good decision.

Another reason to

Feb 3, 2015, 9:39 PM

add Penn State!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Adair forced himself out by beating up his daughter***

Feb 3, 2015, 7:53 PM [ in reply to Volleyball has been one of the best sports at Clemson ]

Wrong

Feb 3, 2015, 9:44 PM

Adair and his two daughters got in a fight due to alcohol. It spilled outside and the police were called. He made a mistake, but charges were dropped and his daughters agreed to that. His only remaining charge was a noise ordinance violation. The man conducted himself with nothing but class during his tenure at Clemson - then he made a serious mistake and we fired him before all of the details came out. I think it could have been a learning point rather than a reason for his termination. Fortunately we didn't take too long to move on from the immediate replacement for him and hired Noonan - which is the best non-revenue hire we made under TDP.

Re: Wrong

Feb 10, 2015, 8:53 AM

That's in part because the administration knew that our competition would have informed recruits that Adair was arrested for beating his daughters which is correct. Adair would have wasted all of his recruiting efforts attempting to explain that the charges were dropped. He would have never been able to overcome this situation which he created.

The dismissal of Davis ruined our wonens bball

Feb 3, 2015, 7:55 PM [ in reply to Volleyball has been one of the best sports at Clemson ]

Program.

And the dismissal of Kriese set men's tennis back for 4 years

Kind of tired of this trend in our non revenue sports...

Feb 3, 2015, 8:00 PM

and tired of hearing "national search" used as if they are going after a top notch coach, then bring a coach in from a mid major. Not that a mid major coach couldn't be a home run hire, but our AD always uses "national search" in a tone that they have atop level coaches on their list.

I hope that we rehire Davis if Audra Smith doesn't

Feb 3, 2015, 9:50 PM [ in reply to The dismissal of Davis ruined our wonens bball ]

find a way to improve this team

That said - his TN Tech team is struggling this year. Maybe we need Tennessee-Chattanooga's coach that his beaten the Lady Vols two years in a row and has his team ranked. Oh wait... UTC somehow was able to hire a Hall of Fame coach out of retirement and we can't do that.

Re: The dismissal of Davis ruined our wonens bball

Feb 3, 2015, 10:36 PM [ in reply to The dismissal of Davis ruined our wonens bball ]

Davis is 5-18 at Tennessee Tech right now.

Kriese is 1-7 at The Citadel.

I don't think either would have recaptured the glory years from earlier in their careers.

immediately after Kriese we missed the tournament

Feb 4, 2015, 12:37 AM

4 straight years, one year going as bad as 1-10 in the ACC.

And after Clemson Kriese went to Thailand and did some good work with junior women players there, one of which played in wimbledon.

The Citadel is impossible to win at in tennis. I have no clue why he took that job

As said by someone who has never eaten a spike

Feb 3, 2015, 7:34 PM [ in reply to No Question about it! DRad told her to "Beat Feet" ]

Or perhaps you think Clemson football is the same as the pick-up football game being played on the corner lot. Your comments reek of "chauvinist pig".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Remember "Meet the Fockers"? Ok GheyLord! Whatever...Volleyball sux!

Feb 3, 2015, 9:10 PM

N/m

Re: No Question about it! DRad told her to "Beat Feet"

Feb 3, 2015, 8:33 PM [ in reply to No Question about it! DRad told her to "Beat Feet" ]

You ever watch these kids play? Faust and Perry would beat your #### at a picnic game.
Probably break your nose!

Bottom line is dradis not a good fitmfor Clemson & GT thanks

Feb 3, 2015, 9:13 PM [ in reply to No Question about it! DRad told her to "Beat Feet" ]

us very much. Big spender and I hope our BOT will not allow him to break us financially.
Iptay members and ticket holders are getting ready to be squeezed to the max in next two
years.

Then why do you give a ####?

Feb 3, 2015, 9:20 PM [ in reply to No Question about it! DRad told her to "Beat Feet" ]

Guess you got laughed at by a volleyball player when you made your smooth move and she sent you home with a case of blueballs.

Re: No Question about it! DRad told her to "Beat Feet"

Feb 3, 2015, 11:20 PM [ in reply to No Question about it! DRad told her to "Beat Feet" ]

Why don't you just come clean and us what axe you have to grind with her??

Because you sound like a jealous a$$ prick. If it's so easy go get the job

It's 28 years of state service for full pension benefits***

Feb 4, 2015, 12:21 AM [ in reply to No Question about it! DRad told her to "Beat Feet" ]

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Reminiscent of what happened to Jim Davis***

Feb 3, 2015, 7:52 PM [ in reply to i don't know... ]

Retire means never wanting to work again

Feb 3, 2015, 8:59 PM [ in reply to i don't know... ]

resign means she is just leaving this job. Maybe she just wants to take some time off and then get into another career or something in administration. Maybe she just needed a change.

It doesn't always have to be a conspiracy.

Re: Mentions Bobby Robinson and Dwight Rainey ... no DRad

Feb 3, 2015, 7:16 PM

Well, she also didn't mention Terry Don Phillips either. TDP managed to squeeze Jim Davis out of the Womens Hoops HC position and hasn't that been a great move the last decade??

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 3, 2015, 7:39 PM

Drads move and a bad one.

Think it might have something to do with having to share

Feb 3, 2015, 8:04 PM

jervey gym with basketball for the next couple of years? I suspect this didn't sit well and i wouldn't blame her for being upset about it.

Well boo freaking hoo, it's volleyball! Who cares?***

Feb 3, 2015, 8:29 PM

I don't understand why some people get so sentimental about coaches.

Feb 3, 2015, 8:08 PM

She was here for 20 years. Goof for her. She had plenty of time to build a top notch volleyball program, and for whatever reason, she didn't. Thank her for her service to Clemson and wish her the best.

Rather than viewing this kind of thing as the death of good 'ol Clemson culture, or as an indictment of DRad, why not view it as an opportunity to grow and improve?

Clemson is still great, even if a longtime coach leaves.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I don't understand why some people get so sentimental about coaches.

Feb 3, 2015, 8:18 PM

Judge, thanks for positive saying.

Yeah, kinda like when Danny Ford was let go....

Feb 3, 2015, 8:21 PM [ in reply to I don't understand why some people get so sentimental about coaches. ]

he had 10 years to win another national championship and just wasn't getting the job done. So the admin took it as an opportunity to grow and improve our football program . And 25 years later, where almost there.

That's not the reason

Feb 4, 2015, 12:29 AM

We had a really good team in 1989, Danny's last year, beating FSU at Tallahassee.

The Tigers finished the 1989 season with a 10–2 record and defeated West Virginia 27–7 in the 1989 Gator Bowl.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Feb 4, 2015, 9:21 AM

Really, its called sarcasm. Look it up.

Just remember what has happened with our other non revenue..

Feb 3, 2015, 8:23 PM [ in reply to I don't understand why some people get so sentimental about coaches. ]

sports over the past 10 years where the longtime coaches were forced out or retired. They are either still bad or just recovering from being in a bad era. I think that's why people are scratching their heads on this one.

I CARE

Feb 3, 2015, 8:40 PM

1-I care. It is another aspect of CLEMSON ATHLETICS!!! !
2-Jolene is a class act. Always took time to say hello, ask the kids if they play the game yet. Classy act all the way around. And has been for 22 years.
3-Not only is she classy, she is a pretty darn good coach too.
4-for those of you out there saying who cares, it is only volleyball. I challenge you to go watch some games. Fast paced, hustle, good athletes. You folks are missing out. They have quite a few loyal fans too. One guy at the games hasn't missed a home game in more than fifteen years. I know another couple that went to every home game this year.

Good luck coach!

How will this effect recruiting***

Feb 3, 2015, 8:35 PM

Feb 3, 2015, 8:35 PM

She will some day maybe even real soon be in the Clemson Athletic Hall of Fame and she most definitely deserves that honor with everything she and her teams accomplished over those 22 seasons

Don't know how many are really upset about this

Feb 3, 2015, 10:49 PM

Every volleyball player I've ever known while at Clemson (and I've known many of them) hated her. She was not well liked by her team from everything I heard.

that is what i have heard as well***

Feb 9, 2015, 11:07 PM

Feb 4, 2015, 12:10 PM

I am sure she had good reasons-best of luck to her. Thanks for all you have done for CU Volleyball!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

she will be picked up***

Mar 30, 2015, 5:52 PM

Replies: 64
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic