Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Orange britches on the road.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Orange britches on the road.

Nov 18, 2019, 10:04 AM

As we prepare to take on the Coots in a couple of Saturdays down in Columbia, I am reminded of one of my most favorite Tigernet posts by former player Joe Cobb, who posted this about the 1989 game in Columbia. Enjoy.

https://www.tigernet.com/view/hof_post.do?id=1716429

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Put Dem Orange Britches ON!

Nov 18, 2019, 10:09 AM

And SPOT the BALL!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Orange britches on the road.

Nov 18, 2019, 10:09 AM

Wow!!! That was awesome!!! That was a 45-0 whooping if I recall. I was there. First and only time I slapped someone at a football game. Coot shouldn't have been throwing ice at me, my brother or my friends. Wonder if his face still hurts?

Message was edited by: MyfavOrange®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 18, 2019, 10:13 AM

It was indeed 45-0, MFO. The Coots were beaten before the game even started. Here's an article David Hood wrote about the game - https://www.tigernet.com/story/1989-Clemson-South-Carolina-The-Orange-Britches-Make-a-Road-Trip-15373

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 18, 2019, 10:42 AM

I was at that game. Got tickets in the Coot Club section and was the guest of a big donor. When we scored the 1st time on the our opening drive, the cussin' started. I was the only one standing and cheering. By the 3rd qtr, I was alone with my wife and my host. He was cool with my jubilation and we had a great time with him and his wife. I will say, he never invited me back. Oh well...

I'm thinking 45-0 will seem like a close game after

Nov 18, 2019, 2:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Orange britches on the road. ]

next Saturday. Dabo better be ready to unleash the fury!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Nov 18, 2019, 10:13 AM

Thanks for that great post. I missed that years ago when it was first posted. Danny was a gem and ole Dabo ain’t bad. Look for the orange britches Saturday for state championship.

And what followed was what many consider to be the

Nov 18, 2019, 10:24 AM

most dominating Clemson win of all time against the Coots, 45-0.

And, as history would later record, it was Danny's final regular season game as Clemson's Head Coach. He went out on a high note, plastering the Coots, and then plastering Major Harris and West Virginia in the Gator Bowl.

"They're killing my baby."

Nov 18, 2019, 10:27 AM

--- Major Harris' Mom.

Re: "They're killing my baby."

Nov 18, 2019, 10:48 AM

Yep, "He's running for his life out there!" Mommy was not happy with us. That probably had a lot to do with 70-33, although I have never directly heard revenge being mentioned in conjunction with that game.

You can bet revenge WILL be mentioned next time we play them. Someday....

That is awesome! (nm)***

Nov 18, 2019, 10:31 AM

Thank you for sharing this.

Nov 18, 2019, 10:33 AM

Nov 18, 2019, 10:43 AM

Awesome read!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 18, 2019, 10:46 AM

I've watched the replay of that game many times, one of my all time favorites. About midway of the second quarter, the announcer said that we had run the ball 33 of the first 35 plays. Danny loved running over the coots, and all of us fans enjoyed it. A sad thing was Terry Allen's injury, and we didn't know that was the last time we would see him play as a Tiger.

That's awesome! Bump for the afternoon crowd...***

Nov 18, 2019, 2:10 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Cobb was a true jounger.***

Nov 18, 2019, 2:17 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bump for the 3:16pm crowd.

Nov 18, 2019, 3:17 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

That brings a tear to my eye.***

Nov 18, 2019, 4:07 PM

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic