Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Should election day be a national holiday?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Should election day be a national holiday?

Nov 15, 2018, 5:01 PM

What say you?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think that holidays are garbage, and people who

Nov 15, 2018, 5:03 PM

like them are garbage.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pissed because courthouses were closed.

Nov 15, 2018, 5:09 PM

Impacted my work schedule, that and kids being off school. Same for the freaking dud hurricane.

I take Christmas Eve day, Christmas Day, New Year's day, Fourth of July, and Thanksgiving off.

THAT's it. Toss in one long weekend vacation and a couple of sick days and that's it for me. Maybe 10-12 days off work a year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

how about arbor day***

Nov 15, 2018, 11:18 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pissed because courthouses were closed.

Nov 15, 2018, 8:22 PM [ in reply to Pissed because courthouses were closed. ]

Which dud hurricane? The one that gave parts of the Eastern Carolinas their worst disaster ever or the one that made landfall 1 mph shy of Cat 5?

Message was edited by: CU17

The one that hit NC bad and not so bad in SC.

Nov 16, 2018, 10:30 AM

That one. The one where half the state evacuated and it was a cat 1 at landfall. Caused bad flooding in NC, but not much in SC. Closed the state down for a week. The economic impact on SC from the evacuation was worse than the damage from the hurricane. THAT one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think that holidays are garbage, and people who

Nov 15, 2018, 5:12 PM [ in reply to I think that holidays are garbage, and people who ]

Well said.

I like New Year's and the 4th. Mainly because of alcohol***

Nov 15, 2018, 7:40 PM [ in reply to I think that holidays are garbage, and people who ]

only if it’s moved to Monday

Nov 15, 2018, 5:33 PM

Need that 3 day weekend.

Honestly don’t see it having an impact on voter turnout.

Re: only if it’s moved to Monday

Nov 15, 2018, 5:42 PM

It seems a lot of people might not have time to vote in person or who choose not to due to work etc. It's not an issue for me, but maybe for others. There was a lady on Fox News who brought it up and got me thinking. Here is an interesting article.

https://www.businessinsider.com/is-election-day-a-national-holiday-2016-11

No

Nov 15, 2018, 5:35 PM

It's really not hard to vote, if you actually want to.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No

Nov 15, 2018, 5:48 PM

camcgee® said:

It's really not hard to vote, if you actually want to.

Horse Pucky, it's a lot harder than it needs to be many can't vote because they can't afford to get off work.

It shouldn't be a choice. Voting should be much easier than it is. How else we gonna bus in those illegals???

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I find that kind of ridiculous

Nov 15, 2018, 5:53 PM

You can always mail in a ballot or vote on the weekend in places that have early voting, although early voting has its own issues. At any rate, there aren't a lot of people who don't have any time they can take off from 7 AM- 7 PM on a given Tuesday.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I find that kind of ridiculous

Nov 15, 2018, 6:09 PM

The lines in Florida near where I live took a few hours to get through. I agree though that there are other options, but it seems we should promote everyone voting and make it even simpler.

Yes, as I don't see a good argument against.***

Nov 15, 2018, 6:18 PM

Re: Should election day be a national holiday?

Nov 15, 2018, 6:42 PM

Yes or make it on stauraday

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or just early vote or via absentee.***

Nov 15, 2018, 6:46 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Or just early vote or via absentee.***

Nov 15, 2018, 7:25 PM

With all the controversy going on with absentee ballots, I would be worried that my vote may be lost or not counted if I voted by mail.

Nov 16, 2018, 6:57 AM

It needs to be a national holiday for three reasons.

One, EVERYONE should vote and have it counted. I don't care if I agree with your opinion or not. Heck, even if you live somewhere were the outcome is 100% certain and you are on the other side, VOTE. The margin of victory matters in terms of how politicians proceed even if the victory is certain.

Second. I have too much football to watch on Saturday and wouldn't want to step on peoples Sundays so moving it to the weekend is great.

Last, as mentioned above, there are no good reasons not to do it.

Nov 16, 2018, 6:59 AM

Edit to above: should read moving to the weekend isn't great.

non***

Nov 15, 2018, 6:50 PM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Re: Should election day be a national holiday?

Nov 15, 2018, 7:23 PM

It should absolutely be a holiday just like it is in most of the rest of the developed world. Most countries just hold elections on the weekend so that it isn't as big of an issue.

The history of voting on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November goes back to the mid 1800's and had to do with the distance people had to travel to vote. Most people were in church on Sunday, and they wanted to give people an extra day to travel the long distances, hence voting was held on a Tuesday.

I don't see any reason other than because that's how we've done if for the past 150 or so years that we need to vote on a Tuesday in early November. It could either be moved to the following Saturday or that Tuesday could become a national holiday.

I honestly don't know of any reason against this.

I'm a firm believer that the more citizens that participate the better. If any politician is worried that more people voting will negatively affect their chances of winning an election, then it is their responsibility to attempt to appeal to a larger segment of potential voters.

Yes.

Nov 16, 2018, 8:11 AM

I've heard too many stories of bosses trying to keep employees from voting.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

that can't be legal, right?***

Nov 16, 2018, 10:31 AM

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic