Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Maryland vs Tigers: Postgame Analysis
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Oct 2, 2008, 8:53 AM

Roy Martin breaks down, perhaps, the toughest defeat for Clemson fans to swallow in quite some time. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Roy, it doesn't take almost a week to break this game

Oct 2, 2008, 8:58 AM

down...we collapsed in the 2nd half.

I would rather wait "almost a week" and read this type of

Oct 2, 2008, 9:34 AM

detailed analysis, which Roy has put a lot of thought into, than get an immediate knee-jerk reaction to the game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Roy, you are not nuts. You are exactly right.

Oct 2, 2008, 8:59 AM

You described exactly what happened.

The players made too many critical mistakes, and they lost the game.

Same tired old song I've heard for the last 10 yrs. Roy.

Oct 2, 2008, 9:32 AM

Let's cut it down to the bare bone. Tommy/staff get flat outcoached once again after halftime adjustments ver an inferior opp.

That's genius

Oct 2, 2008, 11:46 AM

Why make a detailed analysis, when you can just blindly point the finger at someone and blame them?

Why think for yourself, when you can just jump in line with a bunch of other angry idiots?

Thanks tigineasley, reading your post makes me feel superior to you

Thank you for a good analysis.***

Oct 2, 2008, 9:33 AM

God help you Roy - you could have summed this

Oct 2, 2008, 9:57 AM

up in a couple of sentences or less:
"The coaching staff had a complete breakdown as the game progressed. The players mirrored their coaches in that breakdown. A few calls went against Clemson but should not have cost them the game."

That's it, man. That's it.

You will come around I think before the SC game gets here and will join 'ol Macintiger on the Fire Bowden bandwagon. Heck,I may even let you drive it for a little bit.

I look forward to your analysis each week Roy. Thanks again***

Oct 2, 2008, 11:48 AM

Very good! I wish you would have mentioned one thing though.

Oct 2, 2008, 12:44 PM

One of the reasons that we didn't score more points in the first half was because of the 3 and 2 call on the first drive.

You could blame Spence for calling a pass play when we were averaging 9 yards a run or you would blame Harper for not putting his head down and gaining the 2 yards on HIS own.

Both guys are getting a lot heat now whether it's deserved or not those guys have to get it done.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Optimism is good........unless it's delusional and leads you

Oct 2, 2008, 1:11 PM

in the wrong direction. I appreciate your positive analysis. I really do. The bottom line is, however, that "we" let another one slip away that shouldn't even have been close. Blame the penalties and mistakes. Fine. What about coaches instilling a sense or urgency in an offensive unit that seemed to lack concentration and/or intensity in the WHOLE second half? What about a coach sitting a player down for a series or two simply BECAUSE he EFFED IT UP? What about some meaningful action from our coaches instead of just watching it all unfold one more time?

I've been a shameless Shunshine Pumper for 9 1/2 years on TigerNet. I'm fed up and PI$$ED OFF! Yes, I lay blame for the loss on unfocused, sloppy, uninspired play in the second half. If I'm not mistaken, THAT'S what we have coaches for! When crap effort is being given, yank the player not giving the best effort and put in one who will. That's not too dang complicated.

And yes, there were at least two plays called in critical situations that played a part in our losing. Third-and-two with our ground game freakishly chewing up real estate. And calling the sneak on fourth-and-ten inches when EVERYBODY knows CH doesn't have the toughness to get a yard when we need it. Give me those two plays over and I'll call JD's or JH's number both times and both times the result would be different. And we would win.

Continue to defend him all you want. Tommy didn't get it done......A-G-A-I-N. As for 10-2, that's what I predicted before the season began. I would LOVE to see it. No way it happens, though, because we still have a head coach who will not pull CH EVEN IF HE'S HURT, for pity sake! Give ME the effort he gave Saturday and you would see Willy Korn faster than you can say, "LOWER YOUR SHOULDER AND GET TWO YARDS!" We still have a head coach who will stand there on the sideline looking worried while the game is pi$$ed away, instead of DOING something about it. 10-2........yeah, right. The thing is, with our persnnel it could happen. With our leadership (coaching), no way. 8-4. Tommy needs to GO.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Re: Optimism is good........unless it's delusional and leads you

Oct 2, 2008, 2:12 PM

your analysis was better than that 4 pages of boosting things that sound great but are not entirely true. How many times have we read articles like this one. Blaming everyone and everthing except the coaches. This is what I hate about tigernet and the last 4 years of Clemson Morals. If we had fired Tommy 4 years ago after the loss to Duke, who knows where we could be now? All I know is that a High School coach could get us to 8-4 every year and it would cost us a lot less money. You hit the nail right on the head. Great post!

Oct 2, 2008, 3:12 PM [ in reply to Optimism is good........unless it's delusional and leads you ]

Thanks David78 for a true evaluation of what is going on at Clemson. Hopefully it will open others eyes to the fact we will NEVER get to the next level with Tommy Bowden.
Tommy has done some nice things for our program, but if we want to step up to the next level it's time for a change.

Oct 3, 2008, 12:47 AM [ in reply to Optimism is good........unless it's delusional and leads you ]

their deficiencies. Not having seen a game film but only the replay on CSS, I saw a few things you mentioned. The thing that bothers me is the total collapse in the second half. Even with 6 or 7 in the box, JD was knocking off 4 yds a clip. The vertical passing game was not there because of the cover 2 soft zone. What was there was the middle of the field-vertical and horizontal. You mentioned Michael Palmer--he should have had the ball thrown at him at least 8 times. The drag route was open all the time--especially in the second half. And Tyler Grisham--that guy is a real player. There is NO quit in him and he seems to always be focused. He ran some really good routes and I believed deserved more balls thrown his way. Sometimes we seem to zone in on Jacoby and become predictable--well we are always predictable with that assanine bubble screen. One step back by the wideout and we all yell "Bubble screen" instead of "Ovaltine". When that plays requires a DT to get out and block a DE or corner or even a safety---that is just goofy. At least when the TE is in motion and comes back from being in the slot, he can put a seal block on the DT or DE. And I've heard the coaching propaganda espousing that the screen is very productive--talk about stats being misleading. How many times have we had 3rd and long and run that stupid play without picking up the 1st down? If it's 3rd and 24 and you run it you may get 10-15 yards out of it as the corners and LB's are both backing off. Therefore, you have a stat that says the bubble screen gained 15 yds and is averaged into the other attempts. If you run a play that is nailed a lot in a reasonable yardage and average it in with the use of it to pickup yards but not 1st downs on 3rd down--that definitely inflates the figure. The tunnel screen is a much better play IMHO..

The other thing that bothers me is what happens to our QB's after RS gets through with them. CW had one of his worst seasons under RS--he stared down receivers and the ball was going 1 specific place no matter what. Will Proctor looked pretty good early on-heralded as a better fit for RS's offense but he became tentative,indecisive and stared down his receivers. CH played very well last year until the shoulder issue started. Now he is doing the same as his 2 predeceesors--staring and being indecisive. Logic suggests that RS's "system" is either to complicated and demands the QB go to his primary receiver or that the "system" is not well designed. Our ball fakes are atrocious--just stick the ball out on a giant shish-ka-bob for all to see.

At some point, especially when I see the same pattern in the last 3 QB's, one must question the coaching. Against NC State JD had a tough 1 or 2 yd run for a TD. He ran between LT and LG--well he ran where they were at one time because they had pulled and were going right and he had to face a LB stright up. He did power it in but how do you justify trying to do that close to the endzone with D Linemen submarining.

Say what you will, the play calling in the 2nd half sucked. We ended up 3rd and long because of the bubble screens failing, penalties, missed assignments and a general "missing of the boat" by RS. We ran very few routes that I saw that really pulled MD's safeties out of position--coupled with CH staring receivers down.

From all outward appearances, we were well prepared in the 1st half but when the gameplan needed to be changed in the 2nd half-RS and staff did NOT get it done. I've wondered what is so hard about sending receivers beyond the 1st down marker.

TB recruited these guys yet here we are just now getting decent line play. Granted-we have injuries but so do other teams. The 2 point stance is just stupid.........it's a lot easier to go backwards than forward with that stance. SC State had their guards in a 3 point stance and the tackles in 2 point stance--that makes sense to me.

Roy you do a wonderful job in analysis---really top rate.However, so many people are going out of their way to make excuses for TB and RS and your article projected that same feeling to me. TB and RS are very good people with strong convictions but the W-L record speaks for itself...and TB stated in a press conference that basically "No I'm not doing play calling cause there are so many administrative things to do". That's nice and an essential part of the program but somewhere I read coaches are also paid to win games. We have suffered the same result year after year. They have to either coach and teach players better or run the risk of unemployment. Kids do things and make mistakes because they lose concentration on the field. Coaches are supposed to know what they are doing. I must question that in this case.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great analysis. Spot on.***

Oct 3, 2008, 11:58 AM

Re: Optimism is good........unless it's delusional and leads

Oct 3, 2008, 2:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Optimism is good........unless it's delusional and leads you ]

How can you say Whitehurst was better under O'Cain than Spence? He barely completed 50 percent of his passes, he threw only seven TDs and 17 INTs.

Re: Optimism is good........unless it's delusional and leads

Oct 3, 2008, 4:48 PM

I did not say anything about O'cain. That was the year frpm hell--obviously he needed to go. The 02 season CW started 5 games and 03-started all 13. 04 was the memorable O'cain year--and evrything was bad that year.I think we were still playing Reggie defense as well but I don't remember for sure. CW's yards/completion dropped (2005)under Spence--but only about 10%. That is when the world of screens started. CW's passes were wide and the yardage was gained on running after the catch. If you remember, CW did not get to throw downfield very much. To me, the measure of how good a QB is is in passing reflected in the 5-7 yd + passes across the line of scrimmage. When he was pressed to make those decisions down the field and middle range as a result of being behind in the score, he was not the same CW as his freshman and sophomore years. From stats I can say Spence was better than OCain but they both fell short of the 03 season. My point was that CW, WP, CH all became head cases and I have to ask myself why. You could argue that CW had is head played with somewhat bu O'Cain but his pure passing was not limited to screens so much. We squandered talent. I don't think there is any argument about WP and CH becoming head cases. It's awful odd how they all suffered the same fate. RS was the common thread.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 3, 2008, 5:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Optimism is good........unless it's delusional and leads you ]

Great post! Your analysis and conclusions are dead on for me and what I have seen for myself over the past 9 years.
I'm sure glad you took the time to put this out there for all to see. It just goes to show TB and others that we in the stands are NOT STUPID! Go Tigers!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sunshine Pumper too but....

Oct 3, 2008, 4:51 PM [ in reply to Optimism is good........unless it's delusional and leads you ]

Now is the time to face reality and you hit the nail on the head with this game analysis. Yes, I agree that the player mental errors created several lost opportunities but I too get furious with the coaching staff when they do nothing that I can see to get the players attention when they lose their focus and screw up. And too many times the plays run create doubt and lost momentum. Would it hurt to keep successful, aggressive running backs in the game when we reach the red zone rather than picking this time and location to get "balance" in the plays? Idiocy, I say! One name, one game: Reggie Merriweather and USC at home. I'll never forget/forgive that decision that is repeated with current players much too often. Also, what would it hurt to have CH watch a series or two from the sidelines occasionally. It may help his vision and perspective. Go Tigers!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Typical pro-Bowden T-net analysis. Why no downfield passing?

Oct 2, 2008, 2:25 PM

I agree with much of the analysis, but it's a typical pro-administration analysis which glosses over the bad play calling. As usual for the last few years (except against Bama) the defense played well enough to win the game. But as usual, the incompetence of Rob Spence's play-calling lost the game. There is no doubt that the players made many crippling errors. I can forgive a kid for making a mistake in the heat of battle, but not a highly paid OC sitting in a booth. Better play calling would have won that game, despite the player breakdowns.

Clemson ran all over UMD in the first half when UMD only had three down linemen. Great. Not much need to pass. Perfect for Spence. But in the second half, UMD used four down linemen and pulled in the LBs to stop the run, which worked. Fine. So you'd expect Rob Spence to adjust and make Maryland pay by throwing downfield against UMD's 109th ranked pass defense to his bevy of great receivers, including future NFLers like Kelley, Ford, and Spiller, right?

But instead, Spence continued unsuccessfully to try to run the ball into an army of defenders, helping to set up the 3rd and longs. Worse still, Clemson only threw downfield ONE time in the second half. (A 20-yard sideline pass to Grisham which got a defensive pass-interference call.) By downfield, I really only mean throwing the ball anywhere PAST the first down marker rather than throwing it 2 yards and then hoping the receiver can run past the first down marker. But Clemson threw SHORT of the marker at the end of every drive in the 2nd half.

2ND HALF DRIVE-ENDING 3RD DOWNS:
1st Drive (3rd & 7:) Harper under-threw Grisham (who was 4 yards short of the 1st down marker and would have likely been tackled short by the CB.)

2nd Drive (3rd & 23): Swing pass to Kelley 22 yards short of the 1st down marker. Gain of about 14.

3rd Drive (3rd & 9): Pass to Ford 5 yards short of 1st down marker. Gain of 4.

4th Drive (3rd & 10): Harper sacked by unblocked LB.

5th Drive (3rd & 18): 5yd pass to Spiller, 13 yards short of the 1st down marker, who runs for 12 more, but ends up short.

When Roy writes that Clemson ran 14 times and passed 16 times in the second half, that sounds like a nice balance. But most Clemson's passing plays (screens, shorts, swings) were really more like running plays-- and they were stopped by Maryland, just like running plays.

Good teams stretch the field and keep defenses honest with a balanced attack that includes passing beyond the 1st down markers. Clemson hardly ever seems to throw more than a few yards beyond the line of scrimmage-- not even to get past the marker on 3rd down. I just don't see any other good teams call plays like Spence. It's so ridiculous.

Coming into this season, I had visions of Ford, Kelley, Grisham, and Spiller, burning opponents for big passing plays at least a few times each game. These guys are dangerous weapons. But Spence completely wasted them. Kelley must be so sorry that he returned for his senior year.

The author acts like Harper's interception was no big deal because a long interception on 3rd down is as good as a punt, so it's OK to make a risky pass. Judging by the way that Bowden chewed him out on the sideline afterwards, I'm guessing that Tommy and I disagree with the author's analysis. It was a bad & foolish throw into double coverage which may have cost the game.

Harper has an artificially high completion ratio because (as Spence openly admits) Spence prefers to call high-percentage short passes. But Harper's passing and decision making hasn't been nearly as good as last year (pre-BC injury). He's turned over the ball 8 times so far. And Harper has consistently failed to lower his shoulder and run for the first down marker-- including 3 times against UMD. Any ONE of those three times could have cost Clemson the game-- let alone the sum of the three. Instead Harper has chosen to slide safe like a multimillion dollar NFL prima donna QB. I think Korn would have run for first downs in at least 2, if not all three of those plays.

On the first drive, Harper threw into the stands over the head of a wide-open Grisham. Later, Harper threw into the stands over the head of a wide-open Kelley. I couldn't tell if Harper made bad decisions to throw the ball into the stands or if just overthrew them so badly that the ball sailed into the stands. Either way, it was awful QB play that killed the drive.

Harper is not playing at the level that he played last year before he hurt his shoulder against BC. Therefore, I think the coaches need to stop being loyal to Harper and give Korn a try. I don't think Korn could possibly do any worse passing. And he would DEFINITELY do better running and scrambling.

Unfortunately, Bowden is loyal to Spence. And both are loyal to Harper. But after the awful play calling against Maryland, (BC, et al) I just can't believe that Bowden would let Spence continue to call the plays anymore this season. It's just unthinkable. If Bowden removes Spence from play calling duty (perhaps not publicly) then I think Clemson actually has a chance to win the ACC. If they play Korn, they'll have an even better chance. But that's not going to happen.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Great Post

Oct 2, 2008, 6:07 PM

Nice research. Nice points. Well done.

Exceptionally well done!!!!!!!!***

Oct 3, 2008, 4:53 PM [ in reply to Typical pro-Bowden T-net analysis. Why no downfield passing? ]

Great post and thanks for helping us call out RS Loser!

Oct 3, 2008, 5:16 PM [ in reply to Typical pro-Bowden T-net analysis. Why no downfield passing? ]

There's so much that I do not understand about the calls and the formations. For one, why empty the backfield on any play? You totally invite the ultimate pass rush with no hestitation and you might just slow the defense down and possibly be successful with JD or CJS running a draw or a screen. I too am fed up with the pass plays for 4 yards when we need 8 or 10. RS did the same short pass crap with CW and it hurt him in the draft. Sad.

Go Tigers, we need some sunshine!

Raz--here is your answer to Spence and calling plays

Oct 3, 2008, 6:47 PM [ in reply to Typical pro-Bowden T-net analysis. Why no downfield passing? ]

This is a quote from an article on CUTigers.com from a TB interview. Read this question and answer.

DO YOU MISS PLAY CALLING AT ALL?: No. Why do you think Spurrier is getting rid of it and [Mark] Richt is getting rid of it? There are so many other things to do. I did it for a long time, probably until I got Mark's age. I guess you get so involved with the other aspects of your job. You just don't have time. There is so much more academically [to consider] off the field and discipline. You better be on top of your P's and Q's. I haven't missed it that much.

Anybody think we'd all be better served if he watched his X's and O's instead of P's and Q's? I guess this defines his concept of his role as head coach.

Sadly I saw TB's comments, but I hoped he was posturing.

Oct 3, 2008, 8:15 PM

Or I was hoping that maybe he'd give the play calling duties to Dabo or my mom or somebody who might call a balanced set of plays that takes advantage of Clemson's NFL-caliber skill players and whatever the defense is giving up.

I bet

Oct 4, 2008, 12:01 AM

your mom would biatch slap RS and TB up side the head! I know my mom would have.

Thanks Roy for a good analysis, they are always insightful

Oct 2, 2008, 8:37 PM

and I usually learn something that i didn't notice during the game.

I've been a big Tommy supporter for 9 years now. However, after Saturday's game, unless something finally clicks this year and he leads us to our first division championship i believe it will be time for a change. I cannot even count on my two hands anymore games like this we have all witnessed over the last 10 years.

I hope i am wrong and i will be 100% supportive of the team, coaching staff and administration for the rest of the season.

Thanks again

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good article..full of excuses..like always.***

Oct 2, 2008, 8:45 PM

Analyze this

Oct 2, 2008, 9:55 PM

The coaches told Maryland players at the half, "if we hit them in the mouth, they're going to fold, so that's what we came out and did," Terps linebacker Alex Wujciak said. (AP)

Re: Analyze this

Oct 2, 2008, 10:08 PM

Yeah, kind of demoralizing when you read something like that and know it's true.

Re: Analyze this

Oct 3, 2008, 4:29 AM

The biggest problem with Clemson Football is Rob Spence! Are ya'll not tired of seeing Davis and Spiller dominate a half of football and we stop running in the 2cnd half! Or the screens, or throwing the ball short on third down!!!! That one baffles me; THROW PASS THE CHAINS!!!!!! Is it really that #### hard to realize that?????
Rob Spence even told the "commentators" that he gets off game plan because he is trying to give all of our playmakers the ball! Well you can say what you want about Bowden! He doesn't call the offense! My only problem with him during the Maryland game, is that he gave an "emotional" speech at half time! He told our players this is were we "find" our identity! Okay, we are in the lead running how ever we want too! We come out and lose; well there goes our confidence! I didn't agree with his timing of that speech! I would have gone for a "killer instinct speech"! But, then again that is why i don't get paid!
Getting back to the point! Look at our athletes! They don't get in alot of trouble, we get great recruits (that graduate), Our defense is never "truly" bad, but our offense cannot capitalize on C.J. Spiller, James Davis, Jacoby Ford, Aaron Kelly, Cullen Harper, Willy Korn, Jamie Harper, Xavier Dye, and Mr. Tyler "DON"T DROP PASSES" Grisham!

So whats the problem ROB????????????????

Yes, RS and the plays are the answer

Oct 3, 2008, 5:23 PM

to the burning questions relative to our collapse and lost concentration in the second half. Could anyone be expected to maintain their focus and aggressiveness with those boneheaded, "give-up", and timid pass plays being called.

Re: Yes, RS and the plays are the answer

Oct 5, 2008, 8:03 AM

There is plenty of blame to go around--- I doubt that we will finish in top 25 this year-- we need to recruit some speed at defensive end along with a couple of defensive tackles that don't get pushed around!! If Bowden remains, we will remain an average ( at best ) team.

Did you see UVA put 31 pts on UMD with a BALANCED attack?

Oct 5, 2008, 1:23 PM

It was amazing to see UVA (with essentially a newbie 3rd string sophomore QB and a low-talent offense) put 31 points on UMD. Yet Rob Spence, with at least 6 future-NFLers) could only put 17 points on the Terps. If you watched both games, it was easy to see why. Whereas Spence's play calling was limited and predictable, UVA launched a BALANCED attack that stretched the field and kept the UMD defense from loading the box and selling out to stop the run (like UMD did against Clemson in the 2nd half). UVA successfully threw short, medium, and long passes against UMD's #102nd ranked pass defense. UVA's passing attack kept UMD's defense honest and ENABLED UVA's running attack to succeed. That's a concept that Rob Spence just doesn't seem to get-- which is why he runs his predictable run & screen offense.

After the Clemson-UMD game, a reporter asked Bowden why Clemson only threw the ball downfield once in the second half. He said something like, "We tried a couple passes like that in the first half and they didn't work." What Bowden and Spence don't seem to understand is that you don't have to actually COMPLETE a pass in order for a passing attack to be successful. A passing attack enables a successful running game by stretching the field and keeping the defense from loading up for runs and screens.

Unranked Pitt beating #10 USF on Thursday was a classic example of that. Pitt has one great running back (McCoy) but a mediocre passing attack with a mediocre QB & mediocre receivers. Even so, Pitt continued to throw the ball downfield all night (usually without a completion) because it kept USF's defense honest and enabled Pitt to run the ball successfully. Pitt's play calling was a thing of beauty. (Then again Pitt has an ex-NFL OC, rather than an ex-Toledo OC.)

In a similar vein, on Saturday it was interesting to see how young, relatively inexperienced (freshman-sophomore) dual-threat, scrambling QBs like Tyrod Taylor, Terrelle Pryor, or Chistian Ponder were able to run well enough to keep defenses from keying on the running backs-- not to mention that those QBs were often able to gain yardage (not lose it) when the pass protection broke down. Spence and Bowden really should have played Korn over the last few games-- at least until Harper's shoulder heals. I'm sure it wasn't easy for OSU coach Jim Tressel to play freshman QB Pryor senior Boeckman, or for VT coach Beamer to play sophomore QB Taylor over senior Glennon, or for Jimbo Fisher to play sophomore QB Ponder over senior Weatherford. But it was smart. I guess that's why those coaches have won multiple conference titles.

Re: Did you see UVA put 31 pts on UMD with a BALANCED attack?

Oct 6, 2008, 8:50 AM

Amen Razz! Amen! Great analysis. I thought going in to this season that there's no way that the coaches could screw up bad enough to go 8-4 or 7-5 with all the talent coming back. But, it looks like that's probably going to happen. It's a cryin' shame to waste all that talent. I always believed the adage, "It's the Jimmys and Joes not the xs and os ". But, Bowden and crew are changing my mind.

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic