Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Opinion on Morris being offered and taking one these jobs in '15
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 59
| visibility 1

Opinion on Morris being offered and taking one these jobs in '15

Jul 4, 2014, 2:21 PM

All of these schools could be looking for a HC in December. All of these schools can afford to pay him $3 mil.

Florida, West Virginia, Kansas, Virginia, Georgia Tech and Maryland (may not have the money right now).

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Opinion on Morris being offered and taking one these jobs in '15

Jul 4, 2014, 2:25 PM

Chad @ Florida is a scary proposition. The return of "Fun'n Gun" to Gainesville.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Doubt UF will go with a coordinator again but

Jul 4, 2014, 2:26 PM

I think they have a good year and Muschamp stays. Same with WVU.

UVA may be the greatest danger.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm curious...

Jul 4, 2014, 8:59 PM

Who are some head coaches you think UF could steal when they finish well below their talent level again in 2014/15?

Re: I'm curious...

Jul 5, 2014, 10:52 AM

> Who are some head coaches you think UF could steal
> when they finish well below their talent level again
> in 2014/15?

Almost anyone they want. That job is a top 5 in all of college ball type of opportunity, and they can afford to overpay for just about any coach out there within reason of course. Little Nicky isn't going anywhere and neither are any of the top NFL guys, but there ate a ton of proven guys that would listen if UF called.

Great job no doubt...

Jul 6, 2014, 10:41 PM

Just out of curiosity, can you name 5 "any coach(es)" you think they could just snap their finger and get?

Re: Great job no doubt...

Jul 7, 2014, 7:57 AM

> Just out of curiosity, can you name 5 "any coach(es)"
> you think they could just snap their finger and get?

Florida has limited options because they are Florida and because, as has been mentioned in this thread, Foley can't go the assistant route again. So to your question, there were only a couple of guys thought to be a good fit for Florida due to their jobs at the time and success they had their. Charlie Strong and James Franklin. But they just took new gigs.

After that, anyone not named Saban is someone UF could go get. I actually think that if Foley thought he could get 5 more years out of Spurrier he may put a feeler out to him. I don't think any coach having current success at a major program is a "snap their fingers" hire. But everyone, no matter how successful, would listen to Florida.

UF ignored Spurrier for the job...

Jul 8, 2014, 8:12 PM

Sack was available prior to the 2005 uSC hire, and Foley would sign him into his 70's now.

Still not sure what you mean by "anyone not named Saban", so I think we're still left trying to name 5.

Add "not" between would and hire.***

Jul 8, 2014, 8:16 PM

Jul 8, 2014, 9:26 PM [ in reply to Great job no doubt... ]

Dantonio
Cutcliffe
Franklin
Shaw
Graham
Mullen
Hudspeth

They all would have to think long and hard if Foley called.

Jul 8, 2014, 11:16 PM

> Dantonio
> Cutcliffe
> Franklin
> Shaw
> Graham
> Mullen
> Hudspeth
>
> They all would have to think long and hard if Foley
> called.

I won't argue the "thinking" part but Franklin would have only been at PSU one season so he's not a realistic option, Shaw is a Stanford grad and doing great there so unless UF has some compromising pictures of him I doubt they're able to bring him to the east coast. I don't think Mullen has been successful enough and he's got Meyer stink on him...even though Meyer won big at UF a lot of Gator fans dislike him and much has been printed about the type of program he ran (Aaron Hernandez by example).

I don't know what their fans would think about the others on your list....I really think Foley is in a pickle if he has to fire Muschamp, I don't know who the slam dunk hire would be.

Jul 5, 2014, 1:40 PM [ in reply to I'm curious... ]

Where they finish doesn't matter one bit. Florida will have a ton of talent sitting there for the next HC and it's an historically great program (for last 20+ years anyway) in a strong conference that will be able to pay a lot of money. It's probably one of the best jobs in the country.

The list of guys that wouldn't at least consider the job would be much smaller than those that would.

Jul 6, 2014, 12:57 AM

> Where they finish doesn't matter one bit. Florida
> will have a ton of talent sitting there for the next
> HC and it's an historically great program (for last
> 20+ years anyway) in a strong conference that will be
> able to pay a lot of money. It's probably one of the
> best jobs in the country.
>
> The list of guys that wouldn't at least consider the
> job would be much smaller than those that would.

I agree that UF can hire about whomever they want but their AD will be unlikely to go the assistant route next time........he can't afford the risk if Muschamp fails and he'll have to hire a proven head coach. Problem is, all the guys being mentioned to replace Muschamp at the end of last season have taken new jobs.......Charlie Strong was the shoe-in but he's now at Texas and Franklin left Vandy to take the Penn State job. Malzahn is mentioned but he's not leaving AU and Art Briles ain't leaving Baylor and the state of Texas.

I don't know who's out there that is a proven head coach that would be a realistic possibility for UF......maybe there will be a new hot head coach name at the end of this season. If there isn't, then Morris may end up being a top candidate for the UF job if Muschamp is fired......and he would take the job, as would any assistant in the country.

Oh i agree that Florida probably won't go the assistant

Jul 6, 2014, 9:13 AM

route. They are on the short list of teams that can probably hire somebody away from another decent program.

I was just disagreeing with the other poster that their record in 2013 and 2014 will have any impact at all on who wants that job. Look at the difference b/t Chizik and Malzahn at Auburn. Auburn had plenty of talent, they just had a completely incompetent coach running the ship there and once they got the right man in place they immediately started winning again.

Florida can be exactly like that. There's no rebuilding to do in Florida, they just need to plug in a better coach and they can immediately be in contention for division and SEC titles even if they have another terrible season this year.

Re: Oh i agree that Florida probably won't go the assistant

Jul 6, 2014, 9:49 AM

> route. They are on the short list of teams that can
> probably hire somebody away from another decent
> program.
>
> I was just disagreeing with the other poster that
> their record in 2013 and 2014 will have any impact at
> all on who wants that job. Look at the difference
> b/t Chizik and Malzahn at Auburn. Auburn had plenty
> of talent, they just had a completely incompetent
> coach running the ship there and once they got the
> right man in place they immediately started winning
> again.
>
> Florida can be exactly like that. There's no
> rebuilding to do in Florida, they just need to plug
> in a better coach and they can immediately be in
> contention for division and SEC titles even if they
> have another terrible season this year.

No doubt about it, and your Malzahn reference screams why Morris could be a great hire for UF.......but as we both agree, Foley can't go the assistant route again. I think his next hire has to be one that every Gator fan would have zero questions about. I don't know who that head coach is but it would be on the level of when Bama hired Saban.....it has to be that kind of hire.

Yeah, Florida is a great job, but again...

Jul 6, 2014, 10:40 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm curious... ]

I'm wondering who you think would quit their job to go there?

Jul 6, 2014, 2:03 AM [ in reply to I'm curious... ]

Mark Hudspeth HC Louisiana-Lafayette 27-12 in three years, coached under Dan Mullen at Mississippi State. Won big as HC at DII North Alabama.

That would be my first call if I were Florida's AD and I had an opening. FWIW I think Hudspeth is going to be a hot commodity this season because I truly believe the Ragin' Cajuns are going to sneak their way into the non-power conference's slot in one of the big bowls.

BTW, I agree with josephg, no way does Jeremy Foley go the coordinator route again.His last two coordinator hires, Ron Zook and Muschamp, have failed miserably. Having Urban Meyer for a few years, Donovan win some basketball titles, and the overall success of the athletic program has deflected heat, but I seriously doubt that even with that he can go out on a limb with a coordinator this time around.

Jul 6, 2014, 9:06 AM

> Mark Hudspeth HC Louisiana-Lafayette 27-12 in three
> years, coached under Dan Mullen at Mississippi State.
> Won big as HC at DII North Alabama.
>
>
> That would be my first call if I were Florida's AD
> D and I had an opening. FWIW I think Hudspeth is
> going to be a hot commodity this season because I
> truly believe the Ragin' Cajuns are going to sneak
> their way into the non-power conference's slot in one
> of the big bowls.
>
>
> BTW, I agree with josephg, no way does Jeremy Foley
> y go the coordinator route again.His last two
> coordinator hires, Ron Zook and Muschamp, have failed
> miserably. Having Urban Meyer for a few years,
> Donovan win some basketball titles, and the overall
> success of the athletic program has deflected heat,
> but I seriously doubt that even with that he can go
> out on a limb with a coordinator this time around.

That's an interesting pick, but I still think if Florida has to resort to looking at head coaches at mid-tier programs then Chad Morris would definitely be in strong consideration.

They are effin' Florida and should be able to hire whomever they want, especially considering the new hire won't be following a NC winning guy......you want to be the guy who follows THE GUY (Ford/Hatfield, Spurrier/Zook). I honestly can't think of who UF would hire that is a proven winner at a major program. UF may have to pay $5 mil to bring in that proven guy, whoever that may be......and I think UF will be looking because I don't think Muschamp stands a chance with a new OC, no WR coach and that schedule.

Jul 6, 2014, 9:08 AM

Should be "don't want to be the guy who follows THE GUY".

Normally I would agree

Jul 6, 2014, 12:22 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm curious... ]

but IMO if Florida opens up this year Foley has to hire someone with a proven track record as a head coach this time around.

At this point there isn't anyone that Florida would be able to attract from one of the power schools with a decent enough resume.

Re: Normally I would agree

Jul 6, 2014, 12:47 PM

I read in an athletic journal interview where foley said he had a hard time deciding between mushchamp and fedora and was fine with either. so maybe larry fedora will be a viable candidate, and I know he would want out of the nc situation. but imo I would throw as much money as I had at art briles. that offense would draw offensive recruits like honey from all over and there is a ton of d talent there already. briles would content for sec title right way.

Briles would be a homerun

Jul 6, 2014, 1:22 PM

but if Texas wasn't able to pry him away with the money they were offering I doubt Florida is going to make an offer large enough to pry him away from the state of Texas and all his ties there.

As for Fedora

Jul 6, 2014, 1:30 PM

I have never seen where he deserves the credit he gets. He's had one big season at Southern Miss that translated into getting the UNC job, but other than that he's pretty much been Tommy Bowden. Ellis Johnson gets the blame for the bottom falling out at USM, but Fedora left the cupboard pretty bare.

Re: Briles would be a homerun

Jul 6, 2014, 8:52 PM [ in reply to Briles would be a homerun ]

I think Briles has too much Texas in him to leave that state and Baylor is opening their new $260 mil stadium this year, the one Briles essentially built due to his success there. I don't think there is any amount of money that will get Briles out of Baylor for the next few years.

Jul 6, 2014, 9:53 AM [ in reply to Re: I'm curious... ]

> Mark Hudspeth HC Louisiana-Lafayette 27-12 in three
> years, coached under Dan Mullen at Mississippi State.
> Won big as HC at DII North Alabama.
>
>
> That would be my first call if I were Florida's AD
> D and I had an opening. FWIW I think Hudspeth is
> going to be a hot commodity this season because I
> truly believe the Ragin' Cajuns are going to sneak
> their way into the non-power conference's slot in one
> of the big bowls.
>
>
> BTW, I agree with josephg, no way does Jeremy Foley
> y go the coordinator route again.His last two
> coordinator hires, Ron Zook and Muschamp, have failed
> miserably. Having Urban Meyer for a few years,
> Donovan win some basketball titles, and the overall
> success of the athletic program has deflected heat,
> but I seriously doubt that even with that he can go
> out on a limb with a coordinator this time around.

I just remembered that I read somewhere that Meyer was actually tabbed by Florida's president as the guy he wanted and Foley closed the deal. If true, then Foley's success rate drops significantly.....Donovan was an obvious home run but Zook and now Muschamp are looking like really bad hires.

Dantonio

Jul 6, 2014, 1:34 PM [ in reply to I'm curious... ]

Dantonio from Michigan State would be a great choice and stop him from going to usc when Spurrier leaves.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jul 4, 2014, 2:31 PM

there would have to be a defensive staff in place, or Morris have to do a great job selling what he would bring in if hired. I could see WVU, Kansas, or Gt, Florida nope.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 4, 2014, 2:37 PM

He wouldn't take the GT job. Paul Johnson has recruited so poorly and also only for the triple option offense that the next coach would be walking into a very difficult job.

GaTech is a sleeping powerhouse!

Jul 4, 2014, 6:33 PM

If offered he'd take it! With a good coach they can win big. Let's hope they keep hiring old washed coaches or jerks who can't recruit.

Re: GaTech is a sleeping powerhouse!

Jul 6, 2014, 9:24 AM

nothing about tech screams powerhouse

Re: GaTech is a sleeping powerhouse!

Jul 6, 2014, 9:44 AM

> nothing about tech screams powerhouse

I think what that poster was implying is that it's been proven a coach can win there. More D-1 talent in Georgia per capita than any other state with the area around Atlanta being the center of it.

Tech's problem is

Jul 6, 2014, 12:15 PM

much like being a man dying of thirst while being stranded on the ocean. Water everywhere but not a drop to drink.

Tech athletics have restrictions put on them by the academic side that prevents them from recruiting much of that talent.

Jul 4, 2014, 2:37 PM

I just don't think Randy Edsall is that bad of a coach. He has kept his team in games that they are heavily out-manned, plus they have battled injuries and transfers. I don't know about his style of coaching, but he's darn good IMO. I don't see Maryland looking for a coach anytime soon.

As for Morris - he ain't going nowhere anytime soon. He has some unfinished business here IMO. Has he beaten USUC yet? JK - but I think he needs a couple more years as OC before making that leap. Of course - if money means more to someone than other things in life, then maybe he leaves.

UVA

Jul 4, 2014, 2:43 PM

will be the best fit.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: UVA

Jul 4, 2014, 4:42 PM

> will be the best fit.

I think you may be right.

UVA has proven in the past that it is possible to win there. Tons of talent in a big state and UVA is not so pompous to think they need to hire a proven head coach.....this is why I don't think UF isn't a possibility because they will have to go the "proven head coach" route after Muschamp.

London has recruited some good talent to UVA and I think Morris could start winning immediately there.

Jul 4, 2014, 2:47 PM

I think Morris isn't ready to be the head of a D1 program and he knows it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I disagree on all counts***

Jul 4, 2014, 3:18 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I disagree on all counts***

Jul 4, 2014, 4:48 PM

He still has to build relationships as a head coach. I disagree with D1 head coach part, but agree that major porgrams would consider a hire like his risky until he has HC experience and lure a staff of coaches and recruiters.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 4, 2014, 4:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Opinion on Morris being offered and taking one these jobs in '15 ]

> I think Morris isn't ready to be the head of a D1
> program and he knows it.

What? If Morris "knows it" then why is he out interviewing for HC'ing jobs at the end of seasons.

Jul 4, 2014, 4:57 PM

He is out interviewing as a ethical courtesy. It is very common. It is how you build those relationships for future opportunities. Morris will not leave until his children graduate high school. He has already made that very clear. Also, this season will determine what Chad Morris is made of. He starts over from scratch with a new QB and no Sammy, Nuk, or Ellington. He will have a tough job this season, but should be fine with all of the talent he has at his disposal. He is running a new scheme that is more balanced. Still a HUNH offense, but faster paced with both a ground and an air attack.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

There are a handful of programs that wouldn't hire him

Jul 4, 2014, 6:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Opinion on Morris being offered and taking one these jobs in '15 ]

Because they can hire a proven HC away from another school, but that list is pretty small. Lots of major conference programs would hire Morris.

While I do think Chad is gone after this season...

Jul 4, 2014, 8:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Opinion on Morris being offered and taking one these jobs in '15 ]

I'm wondering how many head coaching positions you think he interviewed for? This question insinuates there have been several interviews over the course of each of his 3 seasons:

"..why is he out interviewing for HC'ing jobs at the end of seasons."

Re: While I do think Chad is gone after this season...

Jul 6, 2014, 12:39 AM

> I'm wondering how many head coaching positions you
> think he interviewed for? This question insinuates
> there have been several interviews over the course of
> each of his 3 seasons:
>
> "..why is he out interviewing for HC'ing jobs at
> the end of seasons."

We know he interviewed for the NC State job and while it seems there was another interview reported I can't locate it online, but there were rumors of an interview with Texas Tech.

So for the record, the whole, "..why is he out interviewing

Jul 8, 2014, 8:15 PM

for HC'ing jobs at the end of seasons" was pretty much a gross exaggeration.

Re: So for the record, the whole, "..why is he out interviewing

Jul 8, 2014, 11:01 PM

> for HC'ing jobs at the end of seasons" was pretty
> much a gross exaggeration.

Shane, I guess if one wants to dissect my word usage you may have a point, but you seem highly sensitive to the fact Morris may actually want to be a head coach which obviously requires one to interview for such a job. If Morris interviewed for NC State one season and then Texas Tech another season, wouldn't that be plural? Morris is mentioned in just about every top 5 list of possible hires for head coaching positions in the last year I don't think assuming he'll be moving on soon is unreasonable.

And if you don't think Florida can get almost anyone they want then you aren't following much college football. The problem is UF is a job where the fanbase is only going to approve of 2 or 3 guys and as we've said in this thread, two of those guys just got taken.

Only time will prove one of us wrong.

Jul 5, 2014, 9:00 AM [ in reply to Re: Opinion on Morris being offered and taking one these jobs in '15 ]

I think his interviews have been a learning experience. Anyone who has scheduled and prepared for an interview knows that each one is a learning experience.

Primarily, I believe CM when he was quoted as saying he'd be at Clemson as long as Watson was here. Our nature here at Clemson is to stick to our word. I think Chad's moral attitude and character are part of how he got here in the first place.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

muschamp will survive...gt or uva will hire big ralph...

Jul 4, 2014, 8:42 PM

Ralph...probably gt and uva hires wilson frim indianna...he is an acc guy from unc.
Bama drops three games and gives saban so much grief he bolts to wva...kansas cant buy a decent coach....arkansas and texas am are the two schools morris would leave for in a few years if we win title or make final 4.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Muschump is toast.. should have been already.***

Jul 4, 2014, 8:55 PM

Jul 4, 2014, 10:27 PM

GO CHAD MORRIS

Tell 'em capon

Jul 4, 2014, 11:33 PM

lbc

Re: Tell 'em capon

Jul 6, 2014, 11:47 AM

Engaging conversation as always.

Tell 'em coot

Jul 7, 2014, 11:39 PM

Easier for you ?

Re: Tell 'em coot

Jul 8, 2014, 11:23 PM

> Easier for you ?

Thanks! YOU......ARE.......AWESOME!!!

Re: Tell 'em coot

Jul 9, 2014, 4:30 PM

you really have to just skip on by shane the red neck. he is clueless about sports. I would say he means well but I don't think he does. he is like some health problems, you just hope you don't have to deal with.

Have to say ARK, ILL. KENT at this juncture ...

Jul 4, 2014, 11:38 PM

More schools will be in picture by November ... UVA not out of question but not likely.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Morris Can Afford to be Picky...

Jul 5, 2014, 11:46 AM

He gets paid extremely well to coach one side of the ball and likes the area from what we hear. If he can put together another good offensive team this year with having to replace so many key positions, his resume will be complete. Anyone half decent coach can take a team with the talent we have had offensive for the last 3 years could have a winning team.....to what Morris did I don;t know. If he can reload he will be a rock star on the most wanted coaches list...

Chad won't go to a place that is a historical loser like UVA. He probably has turned down better jobs. I am not sold on WVU and the geography to the rest of the league is not great for recruiting.

If I was a wagering person I think he stays in the ACC and these jobs would be the ones that are ripe for success with the right man at the helm:

1. Georgia Tech
2. Miami
3. VT

These 3 schools have programs that are not taking it to the next level that could. Morris at Miami or GT scares the heck out me.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

I think he wants to stay at Clemson a few more years with

Jul 6, 2014, 8:35 AM

the chance to win at National Championship. Bigger job and can demand more money. Just my opinion.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2014, 9:48 PM

So far, no one has offered Morris a job, even after skinny wins vs UGA and OSU. After beatings vs FSU (14 PTS.) and SCAR 17 PTS) jury still out.

Jul 6, 2014, 9:50 PM

believe that if you want to coot.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd say he stays here till a job closer to home comes open.

Jul 6, 2014, 10:15 PM

If he can continue the same success with a new cast, and keep adding his touch to the HUNH, then I think more tempting offers will come his way. That's probably why he keeps recruiting the Texas area, keeping his name out there.
I can see him taking the HC job at a smaller school out west before a UVA or NCSU type job, much like Malzahn at Arky St. (although for different reasons). Money will not be the deciding factor as he already makes as much or more than a lot of jobs can offer.

Replies: 59
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic