Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
One thing that was clear Monday night
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

One thing that was clear Monday night

Jan 9, 2019, 10:32 AM

is that bama does not know how to play from behind. Late in the 3rd quarter when we had a 3 touchdown lead, they were still in no hurry to run plays.
They would take their time in the huddle, then amble up to the line.
Several times the play clock was under 5 seconds when they snapped the ball.
You have to play with a sense of urgency when you are that far behind that late in the game.
They came back against uga. But other than that they didn't have much experience at being behind.
As it turned out, it wouldn't have mattered anyway. Just seemed odd.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One thing that was clear Monday night

Jan 9, 2019, 10:40 AM

Add to that not trying to score before the end of the 1st half. They had 2 or 3 TO's and almost a minute to play. With Tua's passing ability, I was very surprise they took a knee to run out the clock.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2019, 11:01 AM

Contrast this to Dabo giving the green light for a sub 1 minute drive UP 2 scores in the Cotton Bowl to finish the first half. There is way more to lose when you are up in the situation then when you are down.

Jan 9, 2019, 12:28 PM [ in reply to Re: One thing that was clear Monday night ]

Very true. I was shocked they didn’t at least take a shot down the field. Alabama did a lot of things in that game that were bad optically. Not trying to score at the end of the first half made it obvious there was a lack of confidence in their ability to score and protect the ball. They had the chance to win back momentum going into the half. Instead they added to Clemson’s confidence.

Jan 9, 2019, 12:32 PM

Adversity hit!
They had been blowing people out and laughing and taking it all in pretty much by the 4th qtr all year! I felt like if the game was tight some of their new starters who had had it easy until the Georgia game would crack.
They have issues top to bottom. Some of their vaunted 5 star guys are not panning out. A word to the wise who look to deep at recruiting rankings! And the coaching staff is not really working together! Early on they just had more talent and were winning despite of things! They simply got exposed Monday!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2019, 12:34 PM

That being said, "you have to give our coaches a ton of credit"! 3 star OL going against 4 & 5 star future NFL DL and "no sacks"!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2019, 11:00 AM

This is why I think the narrative that Bama was "running at will" in the second half is way overblown.

What did people expect Venables to do? Let's stack the box to stop the run and give up easy scores over the top?

Bama was deciding their own fate by running the ball, not being in a rush, and then realizing after they ran it to the red zone that they could not get 7 points.

Venables knew that once Bama got to the red zone, then we could cover the run and the pass without taking any risks. He also knew that with a 2-3 score lead, one slip up would not cost us and Bama was using 3-5 minutes each time they used to run to get the ball down the field.

Jan 9, 2019, 12:33 PM

Yep, once we got a nice lead it was best to keep them on the ground.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic