Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
One characteristic of Clemson football I think people miss
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

One characteristic of Clemson football I think people miss

Jul 10, 2019, 8:35 AM

and that I'm sure Dabo drives home every chance he gets - is humility. I was thinking about that when I saw the story about Hunter getting the recognition at his old high school. From top down, our program is led by humility. We have great players, they celebrate after touchdowns, sacks, whatever, but I don't think we do nor or have recently had any major showboats that think they're the face of the program and that they deserve all the attention. Dabo himself is incredibly humble, and it goes on down the list of great players that have put the team first and themselves second and have achieved personal greatness as a result. What a great example!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One characteristic of Clemson football I think people miss

Jul 10, 2019, 8:43 AM

Well said! This is a great point that goes under the radar

Jul 10, 2019, 9:26 AM

I think what Dabo drills into players is: "No Selfishness will be Tolerated".

It is all about the team, not the individual. This is why (with a few exceptions) you rarely see excessive individual gloating or celebrations on the field.

Jul 10, 2019, 9:28 AM

Example: CW42 after his Heisman pose, and the butt-chewing that followed.

If you missed it then you haven't been paying attention

Jul 10, 2019, 9:26 AM

Last week I ran into an Auburn grad who was in awe of Dabo/Clemson. He was extremely complimentary and thinks Clemson Football is about to "go on a tear".

He was also absolutely CONVINCED that when Saban retires Dabo would become 'Bama's next HC.

I asked him what he saw in Dabo Swinney up to this point that made him think he'd actually leave Clemson? He didn't have a good answer other than ...."when Momma calls....". He was making the usual assumptions about somebody he hasn't been paying close attention to.

I explained that a coach with Dabo's resume would only leave Clemson for three reasons: 1) He didn't get along with the AD, President, or BOT. 2) He was an egomaniac. 3) He was looking for a bigger pay-check. None of those apply to Dabo.

Anyone who's been paying attention to Dabo understands how humble he is. It rubs off on his players, on the university, and on everybody around him. Humility is one of his core characteristics. You're exactly right, he is a great example. We're truly blessed to have him as our HC.

Go Tigers.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you missed it then you haven't been paying attention

Jul 10, 2019, 8:34 PM

With his OBL comments earlier this year that were unearthed recently, I think it's safe to say Dabo no longer considers Alabama as "Momma".

Clemson gives him just as good a chance to win and get paid as Alabama.

Jul 11, 2019, 8:09 AM

I agree with you.

Clemson also doesn't come with a lot of the baggage that being HC of Alabama does. Most people don't realize what Dabo is trying to do is actually being done much easier at Clemson than it would be at Alabama (see baggage).

Dabo's making a huge multifaceted impact at Clemson that would be difficult to eclipse anywhere else. The stars have aligned, literally with President Clements, the BOT, the AD, and Dabo. It's virtually unheard of in college athletics.

What's always surprising isn't that Dabo would spurn Alabama, it's that so many people think he'd leave over the $$$. Our society has absolutely brain-washed people into thinking that money "makes the person" or "makes the person more important/successful". These folks just assume Dabo's heading to Alabama....because it's what THEY WOULD DO. :)

Under the present circumstances, Dabo's happier and more effective at Clemson than he'd be at 'Bama and that's why he's not going anywhere.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 11, 2019, 8:38 AM [ in reply to If you missed it then you haven't been paying attention ]

I always say that if Alabama really wanted Dabo, they should not have fired him in the first time ;)

Jul 10, 2019, 8:04 PM

You know where that character trait REALLY showed up in full force? Last year when C. Wilkins very briefly (like 1 second) struck the Heisman pose after scoring the TD.

I didn't think it deserved a flag - it just wasn't that flagrant and might have been LESS than 1 second. All that said - Dabo ripped THE TEAM LEADER a new one! Wilkins or not - Dabo treated him like a 5th team utility player. The message was - "We're Clemson. WE don't do ANYTHING like that - ever! Don't care WHO you are!"

Dabo wants his players to work hard every day, stay focused, have respect for themselves and all others. It's a rare thing these days to set the bar that high and insist it never be lowered.

Jul 10, 2019, 9:53 PM

The beauty of the Wilkins chewing out is he accepted the criticism from Dabo and nodded his head in an apology gesture. Remember Dabo went to dinner the night before the draft with Wilkins and his family. Team.

Another example - not taking TL to ACC media days

Jul 11, 2019, 10:46 AM [ in reply to Re: One characteristic of Clemson football I think people miss ]

It's been a longstanding tradition that only Clemson Seniors go to ACC Media days. I believe an exception was made for Deshawn his Junior year, when it was clear he was NFL bound. And I expect we'll probably see Trevor at ACC Media Days next year.

Paul F. is one that obviously doesn't get it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 11, 2019, 8:17 AM

It’s a good thing the Tnet Boreds go by that too! Imagine how crazy it would be on here if we had a bunch of “grandstanders” posting nonsense all the time just to build a HUGE PILE of points for theirselves...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic