Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Please explain WR jargon to me
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 101

Please explain WR jargon to me

Aug 6, 2019, 3:05 PM

I played WR in high school eons ago. Back then we had Flankers, Split Ends and Tight Ends. Everyone still refers to TE so I get that. But the rest of these newer terms I do not understand. Can someone explain to me each different receiver by nomenclature and duties? I’ve heard boundary and field – I assume that means weak side (short side) and strong side (wide side) of the field. Slot – is that the flanker, in old man terms? And I hear all this “in the 9 spot” or “in the 7 spot” or whatever jargon. I’m lost. TIA

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Please explain WR jargon to me

Aug 6, 2019, 3:22 PM

jscott224 said:

I played WR in high school eons ago. Back then we had Flankers, Split Ends and Tight Ends. Everyone still refers to TE so I get that. But the rest of these newer terms I do not understand. Can someone explain to me each different receiver by nomenclature and duties? I’ve heard boundary and field – I assume that means weak side (short side) and strong side (wide side) of the field. Slot – is that the flanker, in old man terms? And I hear all this “in the 9 spot” or “in the 7 spot” or whatever jargon. I’m lost. TIA

So in Clemson's terminology...

9-man equals boundary receiver, like Tee Higgins, Mike Williams, etc.
5-man equals slot receiver, like Hunter Renfrow, Jaron Brown.
2-man equals field receiver, like Sammy Watkins, Amari Rodgers last year.

Justyn Ross is switching from backing up Higgins on the boundary (9) to playing the field (2) WR spot, with Diondre Overton a favorite to start at slot (5) now. Amari Rodgers is going to play slot (5) when healthy enough as well.

Once you understand that , we can move on to 10P and 11P***

Aug 6, 2019, 3:23 PM

Re: Once you understand that , we can move on to 10P and 11P***

Aug 6, 2019, 3:32 PM

If it weren't for this goatee and 'hair sweater' that I wear 24/7/365, I would try to get a spot at that Dabo's Ladies Clinic thing. Maybe I would learn something there.

Aug 6, 2019, 3:46 PM

I am curious. I played wide receiver in high school in the 70's.
How were you taught to catch the ball? I was taught to not catch with
your hands but in your body so the defender couldn't get his arm
between the ball and my body. Now it is emphasized to catch it with your
hands. Just wondering if that was peculiar to my coach of the norm back then.

Aug 6, 2019, 4:07 PM

Mine was a small high school so they didn't actually teach anyone HOW to catch. They just ID'd the guys who COULD catch and then turned us into WRs (I was a converted RB and FB). But my technique was mostly hands. Unless it was a curl route - our QB had a rifle (inaccurate rifle at times) so it helped to catch those up into your stomach. But we were having to dive and jump to catch a lot of our balls so we had to use hands anyway.

Aug 6, 2019, 9:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Once you understand that , we can move on to 10P and 11P*** ]

MCHIWAY said:

I am curious. I played wide receiver in high school in the 70's.
How were you taught to catch the ball? I was taught to not catch with
your hands but in your body so the defender couldn't get his arm
between the ball and my body. Now it is emphasized to catch it with your
hands. Just wondering if that was peculiar to my coach of the norm back then.

What did you do if the ball wasn’t thrown so that it would hit you in the numbers, just give up on it ?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me too. But, in case you have not heard... We could

Aug 6, 2019, 4:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Once you understand that , we can move on to 10P and 11P*** ]

Wake up the morning of the event, " Feeling like women THAT day"...and head on over to the clinic...

Aug 6, 2019, 4:12 PM [ in reply to Once you understand that , we can move on to 10P and 11P*** ]

As for meaning of 10p and 11p etc I was fortunate enough to be taught that. The digits refer to the number of backs (first number) and TE (2nd number). So 10P is 1 RB 0 TE formation. 11P is 1 RB 1 TE formation. So on, so forth.

thank you. Someone explained it yesterday but I was trying

Aug 6, 2019, 4:27 PM

to figure out how ten and 11 people fit into the picture. It's like a few years ago when three dudes Sam, Will, and Mike showed up and I didn't know who they were.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: thank you. Someone explained it yesterday but I was trying

Aug 6, 2019, 4:48 PM

Yep, and Sam, Will, and Mike never seamed to graduate.

Aug 6, 2019, 3:32 PM

Glad the OP posted this as I have wondered the same. They also asked about weak and strong side. The only thing I know is that strong side usually means the side with the TE, right? At least from a defensive perspective, eg. WLB and SLB. Someone with more knowledge, please chime in.

OK...

Aug 6, 2019, 3:58 PM

Tight end - The tight end has several jobs (run blocking, pass blocking, and outlet receiver).

Split end - A split end is basically a wide receiver who lines up on the line of scrimmage in order to satisfy the rule requiring seven players on the line at snap.

Boundary receiver or the 9-man - The boundary side of the field is the short side based on where the ball is placed before the snap. The closer the ball is to the hashes the less room there is to the boundary on that side of the field.

Slot receiver or 5-man - The "slot" is the area between the last offensive lineman on either side of the center and the wide receiver on that side.

Field receiver or 2-man - The field side is the wide side of the field where there is more room for the play.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Aug 6, 2019, 4:21 PM

But, but, but nobody addressed the 7-spot that Ross is moving to this year.

Unless I missed it, what's the "P" for in 10P and 11P?

I'll hang up and listen.

Good stuff. :) You guys are truly helpful.

Aug 6, 2019, 4:26 PM

Not sure on the 7-spot but I always assumed "P" was for Personnel...short for Personnel Grouping.

Aug 6, 2019, 4:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Please explain WR jargon to me ]

Unless I missed it, what's the "P" for in 10P and 11P?

I'll hang up and listen.

Good stuff. :) You guys are truly helpful.

That was just a typo. Ross is at the 2-man receiver role now.

Aug 6, 2019, 4:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Please explain WR jargon to me ]

There is no designated "7" spot in Clem's offense. OP made it up as a hypothetical.

Aug 6, 2019, 4:55 PM

10P is no TE. 11P is with a TE. Just learned that this week and I'm sure there's more to it than that.

Aug 6, 2019, 5:06 PM

Thanks for asking, and thanks for the responses. I never understood all the jargon. Ya'll been a help!

OK - History from an old TE, HB, SE, Flanker

Aug 6, 2019, 5:38 PM

Don't be embarrassed - it's confusing if you haven't followed the change in offensive formations since the '50s and how the ends, backs and receivers are used. The terminology has changed along with the formations.

* TE and SE
I (and maybe you) originally played HB (half-back) in a full-house T-formation with a QB, FB and 2-HBs. Sometimes the end lined up close to the OT and was called a TE (still is). Sometimes he was moved a few feet outside the tackle, but still on the LOS..... he was then called a Split End or SE or X.

A team sometimes (often) used 2 ends - sometimes one TE and one SE (X) or 2 TEs or 2 SEs (Xs). Usually the TE was/is positioned on the QBs blind side for better pass protection and for double-team and cross-blocks blocks on the edge, but sometimes a slight split is used, depending on how the defense aligns the DE and OLB. The Split Ends (Xs) were usually a passing threat to try and get outside the LBs - or as a decoy to pull the OLB and/or safety further away from the point-of-attack. Sometimes 2 TEs are used on the same side of center and the newest offensive ideas are experimenting with using 3 TEs.

*Flanker
A flanker is a HB in the old T-formation who is set out to the slot, but behind the LOS - he's still a back - not an end. Some offenses refer to this position as a Z-back or 6-back. In today's spread formation like Clemson runs, the TE is similar, but we call him a 3-back or H-Back. He could also be called a slot-back, but for some reason the terminology changed with spread offenses to incorporate a bigger TE type body. The main difference is that he's not split out as far as a flanker and at times is directly behind the OT. He's behind the LOS and can be used to provide pass protection to either side of the QB, or he can chip block the DE and scoot to the flat as a receiver, or he can go across the middle, drag, cross, hook, stick in the horizontal seam or fly in the vertical seam. We used Jordan Leggett across the middle a lot in the horizontal seam. Last year, we mainly used Garrett Williams as a blocker on run plays and even though he was called a TE, we pulled him from the H-back position into the hole to seal. Since our TE is often lined up behind the LOS, he becomes a half-back and limits the number of WRs, true TEs or SEs we can use. If we go empty backfield or don't use the TE (H-back), we can have 4-WRs.

*Wide Receivers
#9 - Boundary Receiver - this depends on which hash the ball is on. The boundary is to the QB's right if the ball is on the right hash and the 9-man would go to that side.

#2 - Field Receiver - same as above, except to the long side of the field. If the ball is on the right hash, the field is to the QB's left.

#5 - Slot Receiver - sometimes called a Y-back. He can line up between the WR or SE and the linemen, either on or off the LOS, depending on the formation and where the other WRs are lined up. He is usually off the LOS to avoid being jammed by a defender. So, to answer your question, yes - in our old man terms, yesterday's t-formation flanker could be today's slot receiver if he lines up off the LOS - or he could be yesterday's slot-back when he lines up in the 3-back/H-back position.

Your understanding of strong side/weak side is mostly correct. The strong side usually has a TE, if there is one. If one side of the line has more personnel that the other, then that over-balanced side is the strong side. If there is no TE or 2 TEs, the strong side is to the QB's right side if he's right handed, left if he's left-handed.

After my HB/Flanker days, I played S/S TE in a single-wing offense, where there was little in the way of spread offensive positions via SEs. The TE was used primarily as a blocker and sometimes as a receiver.

Simple, ain't it? I find myself often searching for info on some of today's terminology.

Further on 10-p, etc.

Aug 6, 2019, 5:53 PM

the first number is the quantity of RBs. The second number is the quantity of TEs. So:

00p = empty backfield, 0 TE, 5 WRs
01p = empty backfield, 1 TE, 4 WRs
02p = empty backfield, 2 TEs, 3 WRs
10p = 1 RB, 0 TE, 4 WRs
11p = 1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WRs
12p = 1 RB, 2 TEs, 2 WRs
13p = 1 RB, 3TEs, 1 WR
20p = 2 RBs, 0 TE, 3WR
21p = 2 RBs, 1 TE, 2 WRs
22p = 2RBs, 2TEs, 1 WR
23p = 2 RBs, 3 TEs, 0 WRs

Re: Further on 10-p, etc.

Aug 6, 2019, 6:34 PM

1st - I basically understood it. But, to all who have responded, I can honestly say your information has clarified things. Thank You All!

I too played football at a small H.S. in the late 80's early 90's - I got a chuckle out of your response about how the coaches would just figure out who could or couldn't catch, LOL! There was no learning technique, LOL!

Good stuff folks!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clarified that

Aug 6, 2019, 7:05 PM

I don't need a number to know what I am seeing and I only know a few people that I talk serious football. Then it's usually admiring their abilities.

I played in high school and the game has changed but it always is. Position names change but still 11 men. It's a violent and brutal game with many tactical challenges. The athletes today are amazing. Nothing else like college football. I love it. I will watch 5-6 games some Saturdays. These days when one can watch Clemson live every game. Would have made my Father very happy.

Spot da bawl!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Further on 10-p, etc.

Aug 6, 2019, 6:38 PM [ in reply to Further on 10-p, etc. ]

For Reference - Stanford is mostly a 12P team! As well as some of your Big 10 teams.

*** Have to be honest I like anything Clemson runs. But, in my top 5 offensive formations is 12 p. Very effective if you have two guys who block well and can run routes well! The defense basically never knows what they are going to do just based on where they are lined up.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 6, 2019, 5:57 PM

Thanks to several of the responders on this thread. This has been a huge help in understanding the terminology.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 6, 2019, 6:15 PM

Because systems are different. You knew French and now are seeing Chinese and expect it to make sense. Your French doesn’t really help, but people In other replies explained what our systems names refer to.

Aug 6, 2019, 9:32 PM

My theory is to spread em out and it is easier to beat a couple of guys than a whole team bunched up... unless you fake a field goal like Bama and one guy can beat three to stuff the play.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 101
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic