Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On "Wanting to be there"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,589

On "Wanting to be there"

Jan 3, 2015, 12:00 AM

Wanting to be there is a function of heart and will and competitiveness, and a major factor in being a good football team. If you ever play down b/c you don't want to be there, you are quite simply a lousy football team. Some teams are lousy due to their QB or coaching or defense or whatever else. Lacking heart is just as bad, and means you're lousy. You travel to play one last game together as a team with an opponent standing in front of you and lay down b/c you though you should have got a better game, means you're a lousy football team.

Clemson ALWAYS wants to be there. And it shows. And players buy into it and want to play here. This will never change.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: On "Wanting to be there"

Jan 3, 2015, 12:08 AM

It's just another catchphrase espn came up with to explain why the team they don't particularly care for is winning.

You can not want to be there

Jan 3, 2015, 12:09 AM

But you can't beat yourself, according to ESPN and SEC homers.

Clemson

The intention is to excuse a loss or downplay a win

Jan 3, 2015, 12:14 AM

But all I hear is Lousy team. As far as I'm concerned they might as well say well you beat them because they have no defense. Exact same thing. You beat them because Lousy Team.

Actually, any program that "doesn't want to be there"

Jan 3, 2015, 6:16 AM

should promptly fire the entire staff and find another that does.

That's the reality that the talking ######## won't admit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: On "Wanting to be there"

Jan 3, 2015, 9:42 AM

I've been wondering why it only applies to bowl games. If it only has to do with championships, why does it not apply after 8 or 9 weeks in to the season? 75% of the teams in the country have no chance of a championship with several games left but we never hear they don't want to be there. What's the difference?

Most teams expect to go to a bowl since there are nearly 40 bowls so it is nothing really special anymore. I remember when I was a senior at Clemson and getting the invitation to the Gator bowl to play Pitt (1977) was huge and the players were being rewarded for a special season. By today's standards we did not look like we wanted to be there. But I can guarantee you we did.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I propose a new rule for SEC Bowl teams...

Jan 3, 2015, 9:54 AM

If said team is a national contender for most of the year but doesn't make it to the playoffs, season ends with no bowl trip. Why? You're in the SEC, ######! You play for titles only. No title shot = don't want to be there. So let more deserving and wanting teams get their shot in the limelight. Plus, as a incentive of not going to a bowl, those SEC teams will have more time to plan an attack against that "stingy" Bama d they will have to face the following year. You're welcome!

~JKB

When Clemson lost to lower teams, it was pulling, you know

Jan 3, 2015, 9:57 AM

I'm not going to say it. Another dim witted eSECpn phrase.

How about we call it pulling an SEC?

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,589
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic