Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On This Date: 1986 Clemson- 31 (14)Georgia- 28
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 947

On This Date: 1986 Clemson- 31 (14)Georgia- 28

Sep 20, 2020, 10:20 AM

09/20/1986
Sanford Stadium, Athens, GA

Clemson- 31
#14 Georgia- 28

Kick To The Gut: Tigers Top Dawgs in Athens

As he stood up in front of the locker room before the Tigers journeyed on to the field at Sanford Stadium on September 20, 1986, Ford pounded his right fist into his left palm over and over again as he spoke to his players. ‘If you hit them on every play, there will be a play in the fourth quarter when you will see they will quit.’ Lo and behold, he was right. "...they did not want to get hit anymore. And we made plays” Clemson wide receiver Keith Jennings said.

Clemson did make plays. With the game tied at 28, Georgia was driving for the go-ahead score late in the fourth quarter when on an option keeper from the Clemson 15, Jackson was stripped of the football and bandit end John Johnson recovered it on the Tigers’ nine-yard line.

With the defense finally making stops, it was the offense’s turn to make some plays; and those plays came from running back Terrance Flagler and quarterback Rodney Williams.

On second-and-11 from his own 35 with just over a minute to play, Flagler took a deep hand-off from Williams and bounced outside where wide receivers Ray Williams and Ricardo Hooper held their blocks long enough to allow Flagler to get around the left corner for 16 yards.

On the next play, Williams kept the ball around left end and rumbled to the Georgia 35, then to the 29, setting up David Treadwell for a possible game-winning kick with 4 seconds to play. The rest, as they say, is history.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: On This Date: 1986 Clemson- 31 (14)Georgia- 28

Sep 20, 2020, 10:25 AM

Thank you for this!!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Sep 20, 2020, 11:33 AM

Georgia was Clemson's rival when the two teams played annually.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was sitting in the endzone where that last drive started.

Sep 20, 2020, 10:26 AM

Awesome to beat those dogs!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2020, 10:41 AM

One of my favorite road wins. We rode one of the Clemson charter buses down, most fun I've had at an away game, just watching the dawg fans leave the stadium.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2020, 10:57 AM

I remember it well. I was living out of state and stayed with a buddy at his grandmother's house in Baton Rouge in order to attend the LSU-Miami of Ohio game. Did a bit of pregaming and was pumped to watch part of our game and Treadwell's winning kick. The night game at Tiger Stadium was something to behold. However, it took an ugly turn and Miami of Ohio actually beat LSU 21-12. The LSU fans showed their #####. They showered the field with liquor bottles and booed their own team loudly. I had to keep quiet as my buddy who was an LSU grad was suffering in silence. It was a weird day. I was really happy we beat Georgia and my buddy was devastated losing to Miami of Ohio. However, LSU finished 9-3 and 10th in the country and we finished 8-2-2 and 17th. Time marches on!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 947
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic