Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On This Date: 1982 (10)Clemson- 21 WFU- 17 Tokyo, Japan
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 1
| visibility 1

On This Date: 1982 (10)Clemson- 21 WFU- 17 Tokyo, Japan

Nov 27, 2020, 3:44 PM

Mirage Bowl"
Tokyo, Japan
11/27/1982

The 10th Ranked, Defending National Champion Clemson Tigers and Wake Forest Demon Deacons squared off in the sixth annual "Mirage Bowl" sponsored by Mitsubishi in front of 80,000 fans in Tokyo, Japan to end the 1982 regular season.

Danny Ford's Tigers jumped out to a 16-7 lead in the first quarter behind a one-yard touchdown run by RB Chuck McSwain, a thirty-yard field goal by K Bob Pauling, and a 22-yard scoring strike from QB Homer Jordan to TE K.D. Dunn. The Tigers then held on for a down-to-the-wire 21-17 victory.

The game capped Clemson's season at 9-1-1 (6-0 ACC) and was the only "bowling" the Tigers would do that year, as the NCAA had just the week before issued sanctions against the Clemson football program banning them from postseason play. The win still secured the ACC title for the Tigers, who had reeled off nine straight victories after dropping the opener to UGA and tying Boston College in week two. Clemson finished at #8 in the national polls, while Wake Forest finished unranked at 3-8 (0-6 ACC).

Half of the spectators were given orange pom-poms, the Clemson colors, while the other half were issued black and gold so they could cheer for Wake Forest. The Grambling University Band was also flown in to provide Halftime Entertainment for the capacity crowd.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: On This Date: 1982 (10)Clemson- 21 WFU- 17 Tokyo, Japan

Nov 27, 2020, 9:11 PM

Thank you for the reminder. I believe I remember listening to that game on the radio.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 1
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic