Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On This Date: 1981- NC Season kicks off with W over Wofford
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 862

On This Date: 1981- NC Season kicks off with W over Wofford

Sep 5, 2020, 9:29 PM

09/05/1981
Death Valley, SC

Clemson - 45
Wofford - 10

Clemson's Cliff Austin (7) rushed for 95 yards on the Terrier defense

September 5th 1981 kicked off one of the most magical seasons in Clemson history with a 45-10 romp over the Wofford Terriers. But that final score doesn't quite tell the whole story. The Terriers jumped out to a 3-0 lead on the eventual national champions, and a rather sluggish first quarter ended with the two teams tied 3-3. The Clemson defense would allow just two touchdowns in the season's first six games, and one of them was to Wofford that afternoon. The Terrier offense racked up over 200 yards of total offense on the day, better than all but two of the Tigers' remaining opponents would muster that year. Current Wofford head coach Mike Ayers was a defensive backs coach for that 1981 Terrier squad, while current offensive coordinator Wade Lang led the Terrier ground attack that day thirty-four years ago with 74 yard on 14 carries.

Tim Renfrow (father of current Clemson WR Hunter Renfrow) – playing under the guidance of a young secondary coach named Mike Ayers (now Wofford's Head Coach) – had two kickoff returns for 40 yards, made five tackles, broke up a pass and intercepted another.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: On This Date: 1981- NC Season kicks off with W over Wofford

Sep 5, 2020, 10:02 PM

Wewent. Wofford had a kid who is the brother of one of my wife's friends. She moved away but he was the bratty little brother who pestered them as a kid

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: On This Date: 1981- also

Sep 5, 2020, 10:03 PM

the way they looked first half I would never have thought they win the NC

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: On This Date: 1981- also

Sep 6, 2020, 8:46 AM

You’re right. I went to that game. If my memory is correct I think it was 10-10 at the half? Maybe? Of course Clemson took care of business in the 2nd half.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Black and white photos from 1981 make me feel a lot older

Sep 5, 2020, 11:14 PM

than I really am.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2020, 8:14 AM

Wofford wasn't in the Southern Conference back then, Very odd for CU to be playing them back then. I believe they were a replacement for someone who dropped off schedule at last minute if I remember correctly.

Sep 6, 2020, 8:18 AM

Now I think about it they replaced Villanova on the schedule who dropped football at last minute.

Replies: 6
| visibility 862
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic