Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On This Date: 1974 Clemson- 28 Georgia- 24
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 963

On This Date: 1974 Clemson- 28 Georgia- 24

Oct 5, 2019, 10:53 AM

Rivalry Established

Football Historians suggest that the meeting between Clemson and UGA in 1974 in Death Valley was when the Rivalry Changed Forever.

The Tigers were fresh off an upset win over Georgia Tech after an 0-2 start to their '74 campaign. The Bulldogs entered with a 2-1 record, as 10-point favorites on the road, and having not lost to the Tigers in 10 consecutive games over a period of nearly 20 years (1955).

For most of the game, Georgia's offense was rather effective, scoring three touchdowns on the ground: two by Horace King and a third from Andy "Breezy" Reid. In addition, quarterback Matt Robinson averaged almost 15 yards per pass attempt. Nevertheless, the Bulldogs had some serious issues on this afternoon. Even Erk Russell's recent switch from a five- to a six-man front to slow opposing ground games couldn't hold back the Tigers. Two Clemson quarterbacks — Mark Fellers and Mike O'Cain — were each responsible for two touchdowns while directing the Tigers' Veer offense to more than 300 yards rushing in a 28-24 upset victory in the Valley.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

That was a fun two weeks of

Oct 5, 2019, 11:05 AM

Beating the Jackets and the Dawgs...and pounding UNC later in the season, after they were awarded a bowl bid, and nothing for Clemson. Ken Callicut ran wild over the Heels.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: On This Date: 1974 Clemson- 28 Georgia- 24

Oct 5, 2019, 11:07 AM

I really like your historical post please keep them coming. Unlike out little brother in Columbia, We ( Clemson )has a history that we can be proud of. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best football season of my 4 years at Clemson

Oct 5, 2019, 11:19 AM

Went 7-4, won all home games. But no bowl game because bowl bids went out too early. Bowl bid rules changed after that because of that unfairness.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Best football season of my 4 years at Clemson

Oct 5, 2019, 11:46 AM

I've never really understood a lot of the rules directed towards what was happening in college FB with most of what was awarded to teams and players always had a cut off date a few weeks before the season was over. Teams and players on average usually get better as the season goes on, and they are the ones always left out of the awards/rewards for what was done in the season. All that malarkey just never made sensible sense to me, awarding/rewarding teams and players before the actual season was over, and there is always a team or a player that has better stats than the ones rewarded before the season was over, and the Heisman rings out the loudest!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: On This Date: 1974 Clemson- 28 Georgia- 24

Oct 5, 2019, 12:14 PM

I was there but saw very little of the game. I was still in high school (Daniel) and working in a concession stand. You would think both this game and the previous game against GT would have kept fans in the stands and let us sneak out and catch a glimpse of the game. No chance. Longest lines of the season.

I guess they needed mixers. Understandable.

Part of the 1974 "Undefeated Home Season" of Pepsi bottle

Oct 5, 2019, 12:24 PM

fame. I remember someone saying back then, it was the first time we had beaten Georgia and Georgia Tech in the same year since 1902.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 963
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic