Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Everybody sees it....so why not do something about it?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1,571

Everybody sees it....so why not do something about it?

Nov 4, 2015, 9:39 AM

It's apparent to just about everybody that we need an 8 team playoff. What will it take to get there?

It really couldn't be simpler. Power 5 conference champions get seeds 1-5, w/ seeding based on the strength of the conference as a whole (strength of schedule, etc.) determined after all championship games. Seeds 6-8 are at large and determined by a committee. This would give the Memphis, Houston, and Temple's of the world a shot. Voila...solved! The problem with this solution is that it cuts into the ESecPN money...their Tuesday night bullchit show wouldn't have as many viewers and therefore less advertisers.

Just like last year, the cards are stacked against any conference not named SEC. All other conferences must go undefeated to definitely secure a spot; however, you're in with 1 loss if you are in the SEC. If we have a year with both teams undefeated in the SECCG...bet the house that both will be in the playoffs.

I think it's going to take a year with no SEC teams in the final 4...or maybe a 2nd year of the Big 12 missing would do it?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We won't need a 8 team playoff until there

Nov 4, 2015, 9:46 AM

Are 5 undefeated power five champions.

I am in favor of 8 team playoff, if done correctly.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Say what? That makes no sense! What if we have five one loss

Nov 4, 2015, 10:05 AM

champions. That is probably more likely to happen. We need an 8 team playoff, NOW! Don't think for a minute that a one loss Bama couldn't end up ahead of an undefeated Clemson by season's end. Bama would have more so called "quality wins", and it seems like their loss to Ole Miss is forgotten, already.

Message was edited by: longtallsam®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed. We need to remove as much subjectivity

Nov 4, 2015, 9:48 AM

from the selection as possible. The +1 format is an improvement but now you have some shady group of 12 people (although I like D-Rad and Bobby Johnson being on there) selecting 4 teams based on some amorphous, unknown, ever-changing formula...

I hate the people who say that adding 4 more teams is going to "diminish the importance of the regular season"--how does having Bama ranked ahead of Ole Miss right now look for the "importance" of the regular season.

Truth is, there are no good reasons anyone has to keep it at 4 and there's too much money floating around out there to not do it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly what I have been saying! Lessen the subjectivity!***

Nov 4, 2015, 9:52 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You really need 8 teams because one could argue

Nov 4, 2015, 9:56 AM [ in reply to Agreed. We need to remove as much subjectivity ]

that it is entirely possible a #5 team or a #6 or so, if on a roll, could be playing better than other teams. I really don't think when you have the top 8 teams that there's much of a chance that the best team could get left out. With 4 teams, that chance exists.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty much the case last year, as there really wasn't a

Nov 4, 2015, 10:10 AM

good reason to drop TCU below OhSt. So OhSt could very well been a 5 or 6 seed last year,as many thought they should have been.

With 8 teams you have a chance well north of 90%

Nov 4, 2015, 10:21 AM

in getting the best team in the playoff. With 4, notsomuch. Simple math.

I do not envy the job of this "committee" because they have to break down each team by the strength of their opponents, the size of their winning margins in games, etc. Even with all that information that they have to process, coming up with a top 4 in many years will be difficult. Some years impossible.

With 8 teams their jobs will become much easier, and controversy will fade.

To get that extra game in the playoff, I would not be opposed to dropping a game from the schedule. We had Wofford and App State this year. We could lose one of those games and I would be fine with that if that's what it takes to free up a third game for an 8 team playoff so college football can at least have something resembling a playoff.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't understand why they don't use the BCS formula

Nov 4, 2015, 10:07 AM [ in reply to Agreed. We need to remove as much subjectivity ]

to select the top 4. The formula worked.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Ole Miss winning the SEC and shutting the league out

Nov 4, 2015, 9:52 AM

Of the playoffs.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Swag Kelly!***

Nov 4, 2015, 9:53 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ole Miss winning the SEC and shutting the league out

Nov 4, 2015, 10:03 AM [ in reply to Ole Miss winning the SEC and shutting the league out ]

If Bama beats LSU that (Ole Miss winning out) would not keep Bama out.

If Bama beats LSU, they would jump to at least 2, and possibly 1 if they have a commanding victory and we only beat FSU by a couple. An SEC team ranked 1 or 2 at this point will not fall out without losing. After all they have games left against mighty SEC opponents Auburn and Miss St, and a battle with a tough one loss Charleston Southern.

When given an inch, some want a mile.***

Nov 4, 2015, 9:54 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Big 12 would like that since they have no championship

Nov 4, 2015, 9:54 AM

game to knock them off

1 thing wrong with your plan. Why should conference strengh

Nov 4, 2015, 9:59 AM

be used to seed the top five teams? So you think, using this year as an example, we should be seeded 5th because the ACC is perceived to be weak. Let each team stand on its own merits, as far as seeding. There is really only one restriction I would put on an 8 team playoff...no conference can have more than two in it. Without that, the SEC will be pushing to get 3 or 4 in. To #### with that.

Would the ACC be 5th? or is that just the perception...I'd

Nov 4, 2015, 10:03 AM

rather it be as you suggested based on the teams merit and not the conference.

Here's why not.

Nov 4, 2015, 10:10 AM

All the power five get the same money from the PO system except for the SEC which gets a little more. The group of five get the same whether or not they participate. Teams that seed get their expenses paid to their conference which probably requires them to file an expense report. That gives their conference another bump in pay.

Expanding the playoff would require ESPiN to thread a financial needle in total darkness after the losses they had with the extra pro playoff game and the SEC network blowing their load with the stock holders.

ESpin is in the 'Cut the fat,' mode and doesn't have the power to promote another possible bust. The conferences are getting a huge chunk of the pie and can't posibaly hope for more.

Try these links to see for yourself.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2014/12/01/college-football-playoff-payoutsrevenue-distribution-for-2014-15/

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2014/12/08/college-football-playoff-conference-payouts/

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Everybody sees it....so why not do something about it?

Nov 4, 2015, 10:12 AM

Eight team playoff solves nothing as the only thing it will accomplish is give the opportunity to add additional SEC teams to the mix. Four works just fine so why fix something which is not broken?

Get back with us when Clemson wins the ACC but gets left out

Nov 4, 2015, 1:56 PM

Maybe not this year, but sooner or later it will happen. Anyone who thinks four is fine hasn't looked at the big picture.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1,571
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic