Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Northwestern Football Fans Running Their Mouth
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 2,990

Northwestern Football Fans Running Their Mouth

Oct 4, 2013, 2:43 PM

Yes, you read that correctly.

So my wife and I recently decided to move up to Chicago area for work (more her decision than mine). We're both Clemson graduates and diehard Tiger fans, so much so that we decided to keep our Clemson football season tickets b/c we wanted to come back for at least the UGA & FSU games this year (BTW, before I get flamed, the other tickets we decided to sell to friends and family at face value).

Because we love college football so much, we also decided to take an interest in Northwestern football this year since my wife does happen to work at the university. That being said, Northwestern fans (and all Big 10 fans really) are completely clueless when it comes to college football outside of the midwest.

For starters, our sideline season tickets cost us a grand total of $441, with no donation required. When asked if we thought the prices were a little steep this year because of the recent success of the program, we just laughed because we spent more on two (2) extras to the Clemson vs UGA game this year.

Secondly, for a fan base as "educated" as these northerners are supposed to be, no one up here really seems to know exactly where Clemson is. I understand that everyone living in Chicago thinks the planet revolves around Chicago, but wake up people. If I had a nickel for every time someone said to me, "Where exactly is Clemson anyways? Alabama? Georgia?" Let’s just say I’d be swimming in a pool of nickels like Scrooge McDuck.

I digress though. The real reason for my post today is as follows:

I need to know who to pull for this weekend in the Ohio State @ Northwestern game. I'm inclined to cheer for the Wildcats because it would help Clemson in the polls and they're just an easier team to root for. At the same time, however, the Wildcats fans will be insufferable if they do actually win AND I'll have to keep hearing this nonsense:

From the mouth's (yes, plural) of Northwestern fans, "I don't understand why a team like Clemson, no disrespect, gets all this attention around the MNC while a team like Northwestern gets none. If we win this weekend, and that's a big IF, I think the media would be hard pressed not to rank us ahead of you guys with wins over Cal, a blowout win against Syracuse, and Ohio State. I guess if we win and you all don't blow out Syracuse, we'll know for sure though won’t we."

Do I just smile and nod at the idiots, or do I try to reason with them? Just throwing it out there to you Tigernetters for what hopefully turns out to be a lively debate.

Go Tigers (and Wildcats?)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Northwestern Football Fans Running Their Mouth

Oct 4, 2013, 2:51 PM

I lived up there for years. Any thoughts of rooting for Ohio St will disappear as soon as they come to town. They will be everywhere and obnoxious. Go with Northwestern, they will lose sooner or later anyway.

The tailgating there is so odd, the neighborhood does not want people around. There is as I remember 1 good lot or two.

Pull for the Cats

Oct 4, 2013, 2:52 PM

OSU is part of the love-Fest from espn along with ND. You can't fix stupid NW will probably never compete for a natty.

Tough Situation....

Oct 4, 2013, 2:52 PM

but I'm saying root for Northwestern...Ohio State losing will not only hurt them in the polls/post-season opps but also (most likely) in recruiting!

So let the Cats talk trash -- our performance on the field speaks for us! GO TIGERS

When was the last time they beat Georgia or LSU?***

Oct 4, 2013, 2:53 PM

Oct 4, 2013, 2:53 PM

I can imagine this is a headache. It's typical though. I am pulling for NW this weekend regardless because the Ohio State elitism is even more insufferable than whatever temporary cockiness Wildcat fans might be showing. OSU has been living off the overrated nature of the Big 10 for years only to be exposed on a regular basis by power teams in the south. All probation did last year was save them from an #### cutting at the hands of Alabama or Oregon or Stanford.
Of course, they probably would have ended up with Notre Dame in a game they could win, but I digress...

I can respect the job Fitzgerald has done there, but they are a far cry from what we are across the lines of scrimmage.

Oct 4, 2013, 2:54 PM

Take one for the team and pull for NW.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Oct 4, 2013, 2:54 PM

Simply tell them to look at the polls and see how close they really are to jumping us. We thought game chickens were stupid. Sheesh!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2013, 2:55 PM

Anyone that doesn't know where Clemson is just doesn't keep up with college sports. Every true college sports fan should know where places like Clemson, Auburn, Stanford, and even BYU are located.

And we really need for Ohio State to lose, so I would root for Northwestern regardless.

I don't understand why what was said was so dumb.

Oct 4, 2013, 2:56 PM

Wins over Ohio St., Cal, and Syracuse...that is a very good start. They won't have all that much left on their schedule after that, though.

What do you expect a Northwestern fan to say? "Well, we haven't lost yet, but surely we stink!"

Cal and Syracuse aren't good

Oct 4, 2013, 3:36 PM

And I think his point was more of the blatant disrespect of Clemson, despite them not even knowing where Clemson is located.

Easy. Pull for NU.

Oct 4, 2013, 2:57 PM

Regardless of how poor their schedule is, an undefeated Ohio State is bad for our chances.

NU fans usually forget about their team around November and become Bears fans 24x7 anyway.

Okay, So Second Question

Oct 4, 2013, 3:04 PM

Do I pull out my purple Clemson attire so that I blend in with the locals, or do I go full on Tiger orange and announce my presence loud and proud?

Re: Okay, So Second Question

Oct 4, 2013, 3:08 PM

Orange...loud and proud is the only answer.

ORANGE! And heck, wave the Paw Flag at GameDay!***

Oct 4, 2013, 3:10 PM [ in reply to Okay, So Second Question ]

Oct 4, 2013, 3:02 PM

Definitely pull for Northwestern, but don't be afraid to let them know where they stand (as long as we take care of business tomorrow haha)

OK, So Second Question

Oct 4, 2013, 3:06 PM

Do I pull out my purple Clemson attire so that I blend in with the locals, or do I go full on Tiger orange and announce my presence loud and proud?

Northwestern has a football team?***

Oct 4, 2013, 3:11 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Northwestern has a football team?***

Oct 4, 2013, 3:17 PM

Purportedly. I also hear that they have a basketball team, although March Madness begs to differ...

Isn't our Purple, Northwestern Purple?

Oct 4, 2013, 3:23 PM

Your wife works for Northwestern. Northwestern will not jump Clemson, should we both go undefeated. F* Ohio St and all their dirt bag coaches!

Seems like an easy choice in pulling for Northwestern, to me.

Oh, and when you see Ohio St fans out make sure to tell them Charlie Bauman sends his regards. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

+1 for the Bauman reference... classic CFB moment.***

Oct 4, 2013, 7:40 PM

null

Message was edited by: SOLOS®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The only team traditionally worse than SCAR is Northwestern!

Oct 4, 2013, 3:43 PM

Otherwise SCAR would own that outright.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2013, 3:51 PM

Your quote:
"From the mouth's (yes, plural) of Northwestern fans, "I don't understand why a team like Clemson, no disrespect, gets all this attention around the MNC while a team like Northwestern gets none. If we win this weekend, and that's a big IF, I think the media would be hard pressed not to rank us ahead of you guys with wins over Cal, a blowout win against Syracuse, and Ohio State. I guess if we win and you all don't blow out Syracuse, we'll know for sure though won’t we."

If this happens - then I totally agree with them. I don't see it happening, but if it does, why should CLEMSON be ranked over them? Oh - it's that dang SEC thing. If you beat an SEC team, you are all-powerful and receive thousands of respect points. Do the Yankees not know about the SEC? The SEC has handed them their butts for years in EVERY bowl game.

Seems to me a school named Northwestern ought to be

Oct 4, 2013, 7:18 PM

IN THE FREAKING NORTHWEST...LIKE OREGON OR WASHINGTON STATE! lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tell them that plenty of people don't know where Northwestern is either.

Oct 4, 2013, 8:49 PM

That's true of all schools not named after cities or states.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Root for Northwestern...

Oct 4, 2013, 10:28 PM

I work with a bunch of Ohio State fans and Ohio transplants. Most of them can't tell you much about the team but they act like Ohio state invented the game of football.

Replies: 25
| visibility 2,990
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic