Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ok, for real.. for those of you who watched from home
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Ok, for real.. for those of you who watched from home

Dec 10, 2015, 12:28 AM

I want your best unbiased opinion.. did TJ Green deserve his ejection?

I was at the game. Whyile I don't love the 15 yard penalty, I believe it is important and a good transition step toward protecting the players we love to cheer for.

I was convinced from the stadium replay he would not be ejected. Clearly, I was wrong. So, did he deserve the ejection?

On another note, I would love to see this rule ammended so that the player being tackled is also subject to receive the penalty if their last second action of lowering the the head is what creates the contact. Throw the flag, review it, and tack the 15 yards on the player that caused the helmet to helmet to occur. Lets hold the offensive player accountable as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Gonna get flamed, but yes. By definition of the rule he did***

Dec 10, 2015, 12:29 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YeP, robertn is right! ??

Dec 10, 2015, 12:32 AM

??

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, did we at least sound good booing? It was a pretty loud boo

Dec 10, 2015, 12:32 AM [ in reply to Gonna get flamed, but yes. By definition of the rule he did*** ]

Thanks for the answer..

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

LOL, yeah it sounded like a home game.***

Dec 10, 2015, 12:33 AM

Re: LOL, yeah it sounded like a home game.***

Dec 10, 2015, 12:41 AM

I agree with the flag, but I disagree with the ruling after it was reviewed. TJ was going in low to tackle as taught. Switzer made a last second move that put his head in direct path of Green's helmet. The rule needs some room to be fair. The targeting hits on Watson and Fields by UNC was much worse and not even called.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2015, 1:02 AM

Your response is spot on. Although I can't disagree with the call, after watching the replay I wondered if Switzer put his head down purposely to draw the foul. Just looked weird to me.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think any football player with half a brain would

Dec 10, 2015, 1:06 AM

initiate going on the receiving end of a H2H hit.

I don't think Switzer was trying to initiate h2h

Dec 10, 2015, 1:24 AM

but it was his last second movement to protect the ball or his body thay seemed to create the h2h.. he kind of bent over to protect his core. I'll watch the game this weekend and see it, but watching live and video board replay thats what appeared to happen.

null

Re: I don't think Switzer was trying to initiate h2h

Dec 10, 2015, 2:03 AM

I agree with you. When I watched the replay I felt like the only thing Green could have done would have been to go higher and basically arm wrap as he tried to tackle him with his midsection. It's tough to make that call in a nanosecond though. I think they should throw the flag but possibly be much more careful to eject players.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Green did exactly what he sould have done.

Dec 10, 2015, 7:34 AM

Looked to me like Switzer slightly bobbled the ball and Green wanted to jar it loose. He was trying to use his shoulder, but did make head to head accidently.

The call(and ejection) was correct the way the rule is worded.

I don't like the wording on the rule, however.

"Targeting" implies that you are intentionally going for the head... they need to add a line that states something like, "a clear unintentional head to head will allow the player to stay in the game so long as the player that was hit is able to continue playing."

Re: I don't think any football player with half a brain would

Dec 10, 2015, 2:00 AM [ in reply to I don't think any football player with half a brain would ]

Yeah, anyone who has actually taken a helmet-to-helmet hit would not purposely do that to draw a penalty. That's a good way to wake up on Monday from your Saturday game.

Dec 10, 2015, 3:32 AM [ in reply to Re: LOL, yeah it sounded like a home game.*** ]

His coach told him not to fair catch any balls. Sounds like a plan to get a call at some point in the game!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2015, 3:45 AM [ in reply to Re: LOL, yeah it sounded like a home game.*** ]

Seeing that the kid is not a Jedi, I don't think any human can react fast enough to do that intentionally. He muffed the catch a bit and crouched to get a better hold of the ball. Why he didn't call for a fair catch can only be attributed to eating too many paint chips.

^^^THIS^^^ why were refs 1 sided in these calls?

Dec 10, 2015, 2:41 AM [ in reply to Re: LOL, yeah it sounded like a home game.*** ]

Hmmmmmm......

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Switzer instigated the contact by lowering his head into pat

Dec 10, 2015, 7:19 AM [ in reply to Gonna get flamed, but yes. By definition of the rule he did*** ]

h of Green, and Green was obviously leading with his sholder. Targeting should not have been called.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Gonna get flamed, but yes. By definition of the rule he did***

Dec 10, 2015, 7:28 AM [ in reply to Gonna get flamed, but yes. By definition of the rule he did*** ]

If I am driving down the road and someone swerves over in my lane and hits me it's my fault?? That's basically what your saying. Switzer ducked his head right into it.

If the traffic rules were the same as the targeting rules

Dec 10, 2015, 7:31 AM

then yes. The rule doesn't say anything about what the other player is doing. He made contact with the crown of his helmet to the head of the other player. By rule, it was an extremely obvious targeting.

Re: If the traffic rules were the same as the targeting rules

Dec 10, 2015, 7:35 AM

It's called targeting because it is suppose to be called when a player is using the other players head as a target. When the offensive player moves his head at the last second it should be a no call or a call on the offensive player. You got the rule book cause I will argue that call all day long. Call a fair catch if you don't want to get hit in the mouf. Solid hit TJ.

Re: Ok, for real.. for those of you who watched from home

Dec 10, 2015, 12:54 AM

I think it should have been hitting a defenseless receiver, but targeting no. Because he was turning his shoulder as he was going in to hit him. Its the fact that he launched into Switzer that did it. But i mean, but who doesnt lol.. He is running full speed and he saw him bobble lowered the boom. I hate that rule to be honest. If that's the case they should bring the Halo rule back.

Dec 10, 2015, 7:09 AM

Switzerland should of been flagged for being so short.

Dec 10, 2015, 1:35 AM

I didn't agree with the call, the little Switser kid was bobbling the ball and Green should have the right to try and knock the ball loose. My understanding of the rule is once he catches the Ball he's defenseless until he gets his balance, if he's bobbling the Ball he is fair game plus the Switser kid ducked his head and that's the only reason it was Helmet to Helmet. Go Tigers!

Interesting take...

Dec 10, 2015, 7:40 AM

I did notice that he was bobbling the ball, which means he didn't "receive" it yet. So by that rule he wasn't a "defenseless receiver"...

Done deal now... at least it didn't cost us the game.

Dec 10, 2015, 1:58 AM

I think it was fair, but it is disappointing to see nothing called when Deshaun was earholed helmet-to-helmet, or the very similar hot put on Brooks during the first onside kick. It wasn't as bad as the one called on our safety (I think it was Robert a Smith) last year towards the end of the season (forgot which game, but it was also reviewed and upheld).

They definitely need to help clarify what is and what is not a personal foul for targeting.

Real world, no. But rule as written is stupid, so yes...

Dec 10, 2015, 2:37 AM

When a guy being tackled causes head to head contact, why is it the defender's fault? Let them play!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2015, 3:28 AM

Not even close. If the punt returner hadn't squatted down right before Green hit him, there wouldn't have been any slight helmet to helmet contact. There was no targeting call when the other players actions causes the head contact.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2015, 4:36 AM

No, TJ had already committed to making the tackle. He led slightly with his shoulder. Return man, Who was shorter, ducked into the tackle

Dec 10, 2015, 6:06 AM

By definition of rule yes. Was he intentionally trying to hurt him, no. It was a boom boom play and happened so fast I don't think he was trying to hit his helmet. It looked liked he committed to hit lower and Switzer lowered his head too and it was too late to do anything about it. It's football.

Ya it was pretty clear.***

Dec 10, 2015, 6:42 AM

Dec 10, 2015, 6:57 AM

Penalty - Yes
Targeting - No
Plus like some1 said his shoulder had a slight turn

Go TIGERS.........

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God, Have no fear and Never Forget a Friend ~ Harry S. Truman

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic