Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ok I’m sorry for one more BB post:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1,853

Ok I’m sorry for one more BB post:

Mar 27, 2019, 8:24 AM

I really do like him. I think he’s a class act. Graduation rates up, people aren’t in trouble. I think he represents us well. I want him to succeed and I’m willing to wait. I get he’s had a long time. But if we do wait than something has to give. Another poster argued that I was talking about close games last night and I wasn’t. The problem is we are right there. I could be wrong, but imo we are two games out of the dance this year. One possible, I think two gets us in. And here is a list of teams we lost to. My thing is Brad, I like you, but you have to find the way to recruit, motivate, and win, just two more games.

Creighton
Mississippi St
Nebraska
Syracuse
Virginia
Florida State
NC State
Miami
Louisville
Florida St
UNC
NC State

Yes we play tough competition but there’s gotta be two more games we could pull off just by sheer willpower. I’m ok with BB staying. I really am and I know that puts me at odds with those who want him fired. But he has been given 9 years and there is no reason to accept the same thing year after year after year. Get a vision, get an identity, show your ### to the refs a few time. I don’t care. Again I want you to succeed, but if you’re staying, reinvent your program. Get ideas from Dabo, visit similar schools that are successful. I see no reason we can’t get those two more wins each year and then ery now and then be sweet sixteen material. I get the arguments judge and you are right it is our history and our support etc. but come on, two more wins . . .

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Nebraska game was pitiful.***

Mar 27, 2019, 8:32 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ok I’m sorry for one more BB post:

Mar 27, 2019, 8:33 AM

He'll get one more from DRad. Ultimatum is NCAA bid or Clemson gets a new coach. My opinion is we will fall very short of that goal after seeing what are bench was this season. Little to no ACC quality players. Possibly Sims and Trapp but they completely disappear at times; very inconsistent.

Trapp is not an ACC point guard

Mar 27, 2019, 8:41 AM

PG's cant have more turnovers than assists. And that was in limited time

Mar 27, 2019, 8:34 AM

His inability to get those "two more wins", year after year after year, are why many, me now included, want him gone. It really is like the old dictionary joke:

"Insanity is doing things the same way over and over and expecting different results."

That is exactly where we are as a basketball program right now if we stay with Brad Brownell. I agree with all you said about him being a nice guy, etc, but in the end, as the basketball coach, he is paid to win basketball games, and has not done enough of that to justify remaining in the job. Sorry Judge, I do not agree with the post you will surely make on his behalf.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 27, 2019, 8:43 AM

I am ok with him staying, I do want to win more and I want Clemson to make more of an investment into Basketball. But at the same time, if $2m is needed to keep football #1 vs basketball making the NCAA, even as a basketball-first supporter, I know where that 2m should and will be spent. Look at the $10 million Iptay Center.

That being said, look at that list.

Nebraska Basketball Spending $10.4 Million
Creighton Basketball Spending $7.3 Million

Then every other ACC schools is well beyond our investment.

My problem/support for Brad is that he is way over performing for the resources available. He isn't just making lemons into lemonade, he is making pine cones into lemonade.

Our ROI for Brad is nothing short of amazing and even then, I really wonder what he could do at a program that would pony up for real support.

Mar 27, 2019, 9:34 AM

You bring up a very good posting about Brad, but I would like to add one thing I think many are missing.
If you watched any of the first weekend of the "Dance".two players stood out; one was Johnny Dawkins son Aubrey(at UCF), and the other was Ja Morant for Murray St.
Watching these two guards playing, it dawned on me that while Brad can, and has recruited some "good" basketball players, where he seems to fall short,IMO,is his inability to recruit a couple of good"playmakers",those guys that can take a game on,and if necessary carry that team for most of that game,and especially at the end,crunch time as I would call it.
What would have happened if we had that type of "playmaker" for either of the two N.C. State games?Or maybe the Miami game!
Just saying, but that is something I have not seen anyone address on this site.
Zion Williamson is a "basketball" player, and a "playmaker", but realistically speaking, one we probably had less than a 20 % chance of ever signing.
But don't tell me there are no other "playmakers" out there that might just find a fit in Brad's system, which in itself is not a bad system. He just needs that one, or two playmakers that just might have turned this season around.

agreed. Maybe bb is loyal to a fault but

Mar 27, 2019, 9:47 AM

He needs to shake up his staff. Maybe find some young energetic recruiters, I don’t know. I’ll admit I’d be a terrible head coach. The frustrating part is I think we are right there. We may be one playmaker from a 3/4 year run in the tournament. Once people see you can win here, maybe more people will come. It’s not like we are closing a gap of 5-7 games. We are talking just a couple out of it. But he has to have a vision. He has to believe he can succeed like Dabo did. He has to have the balls to go after a cj spiller rather than assume we can’t get him like Bowden did. And yes I know that was football.

Mar 27, 2019, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Ok I’m sorry for one more BB post: ]

I agree, Zion was never coming even though he kept us in the mix. SC has plenty of talented basketball players. The state produces a lot of collegiate and NBA talent. Maybe he needs to revamp the programs team to identify in state talent. Maybe his relationships with the states high school coaches isn’t strong. I don’t have any knowledge of either of those statements but I know the state has the talent to compete. Is the budget handcuffing those abilities?? I like BB and I’m ok with him staying. My hope is that the administration gives him, or whoever the coach is, the means to be successful. I’m aware of the facilities upgrade but is that alone enough? Not imho. Football is king at Clemson, but we should see success in Baseball & basketball as well.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you would have gotten a better response on the

Mar 27, 2019, 9:49 AM

Football board

We know all we need to know about Brownell.

Mar 27, 2019, 10:35 AM

Great guy, good coach, mediocre results over a long period of time. If we're good with continuing that, he's our guy. If not, we make a change.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

You may be right. Hoping ad looks in his eyes and says look i here what you’re saying

Mar 27, 2019, 10:41 AM

But do you really believe it, what are you doing to change things. And If shocked, if taken aback, if flustered, he gone!

Message was edited by: lovingit®

The games you listed follows Brad’s M.O. over the last 9

Mar 27, 2019, 10:47 AM

years.

17-57 vs ACC teams over .500

11 wins over ACC teams over .500 the last 7 years. That is the single biggest reason he can’t get to the NCAAT more than once in 8 years.

Re: The games you listed follows Brad’s M.O. over the last 9

Mar 27, 2019, 11:23 AM

He is still winning more than Barnes. BB has 1.9 wins per son over .500+ teams than Barnes 1.75.

Rick Barnes had 7 wins in 4 years. He was 7-23 against team above .500 in ACC play.

I don't understand your point...

Mar 27, 2019, 11:43 AM

Barnes made 3 of 4 NCAAT's...

BB has made 2 of 9. The reason he can't make more are these games. Do you disagree with that?

Re: I don't understand your point...

Mar 27, 2019, 12:11 PM

RB had only 1 season at or above .500 in league play

Brad has had 6 season at or above .500 in league play

Back in the barnes era you didn't have to be .500 to qualify. Now you have to be well above it.

the teams that made the NCAAT this year with sub .500

Mar 27, 2019, 12:33 PM

conference records disagree

Re: the teams that made the NCAAT this year with sub .500

Mar 27, 2019, 1:22 PM

I know and I think that everyone outside the committee thought that St. John should not have been invited.

Mar 27, 2019, 11:03 AM

First of all, we was in the dance until the ACC officials decided to make a push for NCSU to make the dance. It backfired on the league and the league lost the spot once a couple league tournaments were upset wins. NCSU needed to beat UVA, too, in order to be selected, we would not have had to beat UVA.

Secondly, here are the games we actually lost fair and square:

Creighton
Mississippi St
Nebraska
Syracuse
Florida St
NC State (Season game)
Duke
Miami
Florida St

Creighton was a tournament game finals and Reed's injury looms large in the losses to Miss St, Syracuse, and possibly hits any of those 4 free throws at NCSU. Doubt Reed was our answer @ Duke.

Our guys played hard and were coached well. We just had some tough breaks, a good bit of Tabacco Rd cooking and our upperclassmen did not always make the best decisions, which cost us in those close games. I know they put their heart and soul in it and it has to be tough mentally (especially when the Tabacco Rd special is on the stove). Love them, just being honest - we needed our leaders to be more clutch and keep their composure consistently. Which again, must be extremely tough for a team when the scales are offset by the zebras.

So you don’t think we could have won two more games?***

Mar 27, 2019, 11:51 AM

Re: So you don’t think we could have won two more games?***

Mar 27, 2019, 12:57 PM

We could have and it ain't Brad's fault that we did not. I am not blind, our program looks much better than a few years ago. Brad can coach kids up, they play hard for him, which means the players more than like him. Our hurdles are recruiting and being able to be above that Tabacco Rd nonsense. So, it is going to take talent and thick skin to take the next step.

Mar 27, 2019, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Ok I’m sorry for one more BB post: ]

You are fooling yourself and/or listen to way to much WCCP if you think we are ever in the NCAA Tournament before that game.

Just my 2 cents, though

Mar 27, 2019, 12:53 PM

I kid no Juan.

All our metrics were twice as good as NCSU's and I feel like the committee saw what I saw on the back half of our ACC schedule/ACC tournament game and they still would have left NCSU out had those 2/3 teams not won their league tournaments; to call the ACC Bush league shenanigans out.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1,853
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic