Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ok, 110 days out from kick off, let's talk UGA
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

Ok, 110 days out from kick off, let's talk UGA

May 12, 2014, 12:20 PM

I know both of our teams have lost some pretty big offensive weapons, but it seems UGA may have the upper hand here with Gurshall returning in the backfield. Maybe cole gives us a slight edge at the QB position but i'm not sure.

With that said, I think we are basically even at offense. How is there defense going to stack up against ours though?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We were ranked the top DL in the nation for this year.

May 12, 2014, 12:23 PM

Yes, preseason rankings mean nothing, but UGA has lost more defensive players than we have suspended, and our front 7 is going to be lights out.

Re: We were ranked the top DL in the nation for this year.

May 12, 2014, 12:25 PM

What's about our DB's this year? Can I relax a little on that or is it still a work in progress?

Vast improvment.***

May 12, 2014, 12:31 PM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: Vast improvment.***

May 12, 2014, 12:31 PM

#### I hope so.

Re: Ok, 110 days out from kick off, let's talk UGA

May 12, 2014, 12:26 PM

I think it is more about how each defense stacks up against the opposing offense, than how tre d's compare. Personally I think our D will have the edge. We have a bunch of big run stuffers, and I am not sure they have any receivers or a qb tgat can get the ball to them. That'll make it difficult to establish the run. I am sure the gurshall twins will get song good runs. But I do not think they will run all over us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

When can we start speculating on what tickets will

May 12, 2014, 12:29 PM

be going for?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When can we start speculating on what tickets will

May 12, 2014, 12:29 PM

Last I checked you are in a free country on an open forum, so right now I suppose!

@250$ on StubHub in like February***

May 12, 2014, 12:34 PM [ in reply to When can we start speculating on what tickets will ]

That sucks. I was hoping they'd be

May 12, 2014, 12:38 PM

lower since both teams lost so many key players. I may do just what I did last year and go for the party.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

might go down because we'll be ranked in teens to twenties

May 12, 2014, 12:40 PM

at the start of the season

Do ewe think it's right for a Clemson fan to sell a ticket

May 12, 2014, 12:40 PM [ in reply to When can we start speculating on what tickets will ]

to another Clemson fan above face value?

Haven't seen that discussed before. Why don't you weigh in on that?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: Do ewe think it's right for a Clemson fan to sell a ticket

May 12, 2014, 12:41 PM

Are you referring to him being a

May 12, 2014, 1:05 PM

short ugly creature that lives under a bridge and terrorizes the passersby?

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

+1 for correct pluralization of "passerby"

May 12, 2014, 1:06 PM

Signed,

grammarkrzy

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why thank you, it's nice to know someone around here

May 12, 2014, 1:08 PM

appreciates the smaller things in life.

I'm all about the smaller things in life

May 12, 2014, 1:09 PM

wait, wut?

Is that why you're so tight with lbu?

May 12, 2014, 1:10 PM

Makes cents

It's not about quantity, it's about quality.

May 12, 2014, 1:21 PM

psst don't tell lbu but it IS about quantity

You get what you pay for

May 12, 2014, 1:27 PM

When selecting wine coolers.

Did ewe just equate lbu to a wine cooler??

May 12, 2014, 1:29 PM

newb has the confuse

I'm hear for the "smaller things in life" convention.***

May 12, 2014, 6:03 PM [ in reply to I'm all about the smaller things in life ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Speaking of weighing in

May 12, 2014, 12:59 PM [ in reply to Do ewe think it's right for a Clemson fan to sell a ticket ]

Closest one to 400 @ fall weigh-in ???

Crowder
Maybank
Region
Batson

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When can we start speculating on what tickets will

May 12, 2014, 8:30 PM [ in reply to When can we start speculating on what tickets will ]

My only reason for not wanting to go is because the UGA fans
at UGA are the absolute worst. In my experience. They throw
beer, spit on you, yell at you... I'll comfortably watch
on the couch with Dad.

May 12, 2014, 12:36 PM

Their linebackers are going to be really good. Their D-line decent - but their DBs are going to be a dumpster fire.

Just going off some stuff on a few of their sites - and a good friend who is a lifelong/rabid Thuga fan.

May 12, 2014, 12:39 PM

haha looks like you are right... check out this from their own board:

http://www.secrant.com/rant/p/49844075/Secondary-against-Clemson.aspx

ThreadJackers took over ;)

May 12, 2014, 1:12 PM

Hi guise.

I know, so annoying

May 12, 2014, 1:28 PM

this guy needs to get outta here

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=15349403

May 12, 2014, 1:14 PM

We gone be skrong

May 12, 2014, 5:34 PM

#1) The same Defense that shut down Gurley down and had him hopping around on the side lines at DV, will be the same Defense UGA will face again but with more experienced and with a better secondary.
#2) Cole will be a senior starter that was the main back up behind Tajh for 3 years that has a lot of in game live action snaps. As a 3 year back up, he has 8 TDs with only one int. In 2011 he had a 57.1% comp. record, In 2012 a 69.2 comp. record, In 2013 he had a 79.7 comp. record. I give us advantage in the QB position.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 12, 2014, 6:01 PM

> #1) The same Defense that shut down Gurley down and
> had him hopping around on the side lines at DV, will
> be the same Defense UGA will face again but with more
> experienced and with a better secondary.

Shut down?

Methinks we have different definitions of shut down. Gurley was limited in last year's contest due to tweaking his quad on a 75 yard gallop to the end zone. Not sure how much the Clemson D played into that injury other than being the ones to allow him to run free.

He touched the ball 12 times and 3 of those went for explosive gains, so even with being injured 1 out of every 4 of his carries went for 20+ yards.

Clemson has a great front seven. Maybe the best in the nation, but let's not kid ourselves about what Gurley was able to accomplish against them last year.

A look at UGA's offensive position groups

May 12, 2014, 5:54 PM

Here's a rundown of the UGA position groups on offense from a UGA fan. Trying my best to be objective rather than homerific.

QB - Huston Mason RsSR

Lightly recruited out of high school due to an average arm, but did set GA HS passing records his SR season. Doesn't have a cannon for an arm by any means, but does have above average accuracy. Not as mobile as Murray was, but certainly not a statue. Considering it is his fifth year in the system, expect to see a guy that will be able to get UGA into the correct play and out of the wrong play at the LOS, however considering his lack of playing time and his average arm strength, don't expect to see a guy that is going to take over and dominate a game. Overall, Mason will be a downgrade from Murray, but not so much of one that the UGA offense will tank. Look for the coaching staff to rely more on Gurley and the short passing game rather than the bombing attack seen over the last couple of years.

RB - Todd Gurley JR; Keith Marshall JR

When healthy, Todd Gurley is elite, but last year he was far from healthy after tweaking his quad on a long TD run in Death Valley and then having a severe high ankle sprain against LSU that didn't really heal up til the offseason. Injuries beyond the normal bumps and bruises weren't an issue in his FR year, so it is anyone's guess what this year will hold. Beyond Gurley, the Dawgs have one of the deepest talent pools at the position in the nation. Marshall is coming back from a pretty bad knee injury, so he may or may not be ready 100% by the beginning of the season. But UGA has four other talented RBs that will compete for the scraps. SO Brendan Douglas got a good amount of carries due to Gurshall injuries last year and looked good at times, but struggled with the handle on the ball in a couple of crucial late game situations. RsFR AJ Turman is a big bruiser that redshirted last year, but had some good moments in spring ball. UGA is also welcoming two 24/7 Composite 5 star running backs into the fold come June. Sony Michel out of FL is a smaller speed back and Nick Chubb out of GA comes in at 230 lbs and just took 5th place in the GA State HS finals for the 100 meter dash with a 10.89. His fastest laser timed 100 was a 10.69 in the regional finals. Hopefully, Gurley stays healthy in what is bound to be his final season in the Red & Black, but even if he doesn't UGA isn't hurting for talented ball carriers.

WR - Malcom Mitchell RsJR; Michael Bennett RsSR; Chris Conley SR; Justin Scott-Wesley RsJR

UGA doesn't currently have an AJ Green or a Sammy Watkins on the roster, but they do have a core of experienced letterman that can get the job done as evidenced by the combined total of 285 receptions for 4167 yards and 36 touchdowns returning. Malcom Mitchell is the number one receiver, and he is coming off an ACL that happened in the first quarter of the Clemson game last year. Pre injury he was the most dynamic of the UGA WRs, so we will see where he is in the recovery process come the fall. Bennett is a big guy with great hands who always seems to make the tough catch. Look for him to be Mason's security blanket. Conley is a jack-of-all trades type WR who isn't exceptional at any one thing, but just does it all well. Scott-Wesley is a speed demon with a laser timed 10.32 100 meters to his credit. He really started to develop last year before going down with an ACL against Tennessee. To sum up, Mason won't have to rely on one WR as he has a number of guys to depend upon.

TE - Jay Rome RsJR

Jay was highly recruited out of HS but hasn't seen a ton of snaps yet due to being behind on the depth chart to a couple of NFL drafted TEs (Lynch and Charles). There isn't a lot of depth here, but Jay has the tools to be a good one. Remains to be seen if he puts it together.

OL - LT - John Theus JR; LG TBD; C David Andrews SR; RG Greg Pyke RsSO; RT - Kolton Houston RsSR

Former 5 star John Theus is moving to the left side after playing most of the year at RT in 2013. Coming into his third year with numerous starts under his belt, the Dawgs are expecting him to make that jump of having his production match his potential this year. Houston will take over the RT job full time next year, and it will be interesting to see how he does. He struggled at times to hold the point of attack against bull rushes last year, and also got beat on the edge a few too many times in his 4 starts. Center David Andrews is the Captain of the line and should be in for a good SR season. Pyke is maybe the most athletic OL at Georgia having played the attack position in lacrosse at a very high level in high school, and really came on this spring. Look for him to have a break-out season. The final spot on the OL is still up for grabs. If SO B. Kublanknow steps up and wins the spot, then look for the rest of the line to look as stated above. If he doesn’t win it, then look for some shifting from the other guys in order to get the best five on the field. Overall, there isn’t as much depth as one would like with two or three upperclassmen not developing as the staff would have imagined. Injuries along the OL could really derail what is otherwise a fairly promising looking season offensively speaking.

K – Marshall Morgan JR

Really came on strong last year after a poor FR campaign. Has a big leg with a career long of 56 yards under his belt, and was very dependable to boot with 22 of 24 made last year. Should be in contention for some end of season awards this year.

+1 for the rundown. Now, prepare for the beatdown... :>)***

May 12, 2014, 8:22 PM

Has the uniform color combo been announced?

May 12, 2014, 6:05 PM

Gracias in advance.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

May 12, 2014, 6:58 PM

we're basically even on offense????? Delusion at it's finest. Morris' offense will open the season with a new QB,RB,WR,WR and Oline is w/o depth and experience.

May 12, 2014, 8:27 PM

Keep on dreaming dawggy. Cu's O line will be better than the Dawgs are prepared for. We will run for over 200yds between the hedges and pass for 250+.

OK

May 12, 2014, 8:51 PM

LOL

May 12, 2014, 8:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Ok, 110 days out from kick off, let's talk UGA ]

You guys have a new QB too and your OL sucks. You probably have the advantage with Gurley and Marshall overall, but they have to contend with a front 7 that's going to make you pass the ball to win. I'll be completely fine with you trying to pass.

May 12, 2014, 9:34 PM

At the very least we'll just say both of our Olines are suspect...but none of our starters are suspended unlike clemson's. Beasley and Anthony will be greatly missed that first ball game. Morris will have a lot of inexperience on his line of scrimmage that day. Uga ran the ball with success versus your front seven last year. You'll be w/o the heart of your defense "Shuey" and Crawford your starting DE opposite Beasley. The tiger corners will also be young. Just don't see the dominance you're preaching. Your boys are gonna get rattled tween our hedges....it's going to get very loud!

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic