Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ohio State and the "weak ACC"... what the real numbers say.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Ohio State and the "weak ACC"... what the real numbers say.

Jan 27, 2020, 8:55 AM

I usually ignore this conference chest pounding as it is irrelevant in more ways than one. However, there seems to be this constant whining coming out of the state of Ohio about Clemson running rough shod over a a weak ACC. So what exactly are the cross conference records of Clemson and Ohio State against Big 10 and ACC competition? The numbers follow...

Up front - this is NOT revisionist history - these numbers accurately reflect games against ACC and Big 10 opponents AT THE TIME OF PLAY. Therefore, some games such as Clemson's 1988 victory over Penn State are not included in the numbers because Penn State was not in the Big 10 at that time. Same goes for Ohio State and many of their victories against former Big East teams that are now in the ACC.

During the Dabo Swinney era (2010 to present), we have only played one Big 10 team - Ohio State. We have beaten them every time to garner a 3-0 record. If we look at Clemson's all time record vs Big 10 teams (i.e. teams in the Big 10 conference at the time the game was played) we have the following record:

Ohio State: 4-0
Illinois: 1-0
Minnesota: 0-1

Clemson's real record against the Big 10 (teams in the Big 10 at the time of play) is an overall 5-1. So...Clemson's overall record against the Big 10 is 83% wins while we are 100% wins in the Dabo Swinney era - thanks to Ohio State.

Now let's look at Ohio State and their record against the ACC (i.e. teams in the ACC at the time the game was played). Ohio State has played a total of 7 ACC teams (once again - ACC teams at the time the game was played) and have the following record:

NC State: 2-0
Duke: 2-1
UNC: 3-1
Miami: 1-1 (this Ohio State win was later vacated)
VA Tech: 1-1
Clemson: 0-4
FSU: 0-1

Ohio State's real record against ACC teams is 9-9 and that is letting them keep the vacated 2010 win over Miami. That is a coin toss winning average - 50% wins. Ohio State's performance against the ACC has historically been rather average. If you just look at their record since 1985, it is well below average - they are 4-7 against the ACC during that time frame.

Is the ACC a "weak conference"? In any given year - any conference can be down and most would agree this was not an overall good year for the ACC. However, the historical record shows that Ohio State is not beating the doors when lined up against ACC competition - particularly in the modern era.

At the end of the day, Ohio State would do well to stop crying about a "weak ACC" and focus on being a better team. Their incessant whining is not a good look for one of college footballs supposed "blue bloods". But then again, maybe this is all they have ever been - a bunch of over-hyped whiners who have continually been over-rated by an adoring press and fan base.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ohio State and the "weak ACC"... what the real numbers say.

Jan 27, 2020, 9:01 AM

And 0-2 versus former ACC member South Carolina.

But they're doing great against Maryland!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Isn't this the same team that got boat raced by Purdue...

Jan 27, 2020, 9:02 AM

just one year ago?

Seems to me they should be more concerned about the cupcakes on their own schedule although I'm sure the Purdue loss was somehow the fault of the refs too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Isn't this the same team that got boat raced by Purdue...

Jan 27, 2020, 9:32 AM

that one was a canoe race I believe as it is in the Tippicanoe area. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 27, 2020, 9:49 AM

And OSU traditionally did not do very well going to the Rose Bowl all those years and playing the PAC-10 teams. The Bucknuts would beat the snot out of their conference weak sisters and then usually lose to the real USC, or UCLA, or Stanford, etc. Over hyped and overrated indeed.

Jan 27, 2020, 10:04 AM

OSU IS 7-7 in Rose Bowls and 25-26 in all bowl games. A far cry from the beatings they dish out to those "tough" Big 10 teams.

Jan 27, 2020, 10:01 AM

1-When you are superior to your opponents on your schedule your schedule is percieved to be easy =Clemson
2- When you are inferior to your opponents on your schedule your schedule is percieved to be difficult =UofSC

Jan 27, 2020, 10:25 AM

your last paragraph nailed it.the superiority of the big 10 is the fabrication of both the media and the schools themselves.the big 10 has really always been the big 2,ohio st. and michigan.the rest of the conference is an afterthought.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 27, 2020, 10:59 AM

Great post. Excellent research. It's amazing how often the truth does not match the narrative that sports media tells.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic