Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson's Men's Golf Team ???
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Clemson's Men's Golf Team ???

Mar 10, 2020, 12:15 PM

They are through Holes 11-12 . . . Check here if you want to follow:

http://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=teamPlayer&tid=19239

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson's Men's Golf Team ???

Mar 10, 2020, 12:17 PM

Man the Tigers are dominating that tournament!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 10, 2020, 12:31 PM

We should win. It’s not a strong field.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 10, 2020, 12:36 PM

The greens must not be that fast to have so many low scores. Scores are generally higher in The Palmetto Amateur in the summer even with an international field that has more highly ranked players.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 10, 2020, 10:50 PM

Are you trying find something wrong. Coot

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congratulations Coach P and Our Tigers

Mar 10, 2020, 1:55 PM
IMG_1735.PNG(118.8 K)
IMG_1736.PNG(314.8 K)
IMG_1737.PNG(304.9 K)

Tigers WIN!!!

1) Bridgeman -5 today, -12 overall
2) Pettit -1 today, -8 overall
3) Nottingham -5 today, -7 overall
T13) Gordon +1 today, +3 overall
T17) Cottam +4 today, +5 overall

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 10, 2020, 1:57 PM

That's pretty awesome. I was there watching them last year and it wasn't pretty.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Mar 10, 2020, 2:24 PM

Wonder why UofSuC didn't play this year. That's practically their home course.

I looked the coots up just for you THawk76 . . .

Mar 10, 2020, 2:46 PM
IMG_1738.PNG(157.4 K)

They are playing for the 4th consecutive year in the General James Hackler Championship being held in Myrtle Beach, SC at The Dunes Golf and Beach Club.

About 1/2 of the field is currently rated in the Top 50 . . .

Inquiring minds just need to know these things . . .

Re: I looked the coots up just for you THawk76 . . .

Mar 10, 2020, 5:02 PM

Thanks Skeeta!

Re: I looked the coots up just for you THawk76 . . .

Mar 10, 2020, 5:38 PM [ in reply to I looked the coots up just for you THawk76 . . . ]

Not a bad course and not a bad field.

Mar 10, 2020, 3:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson's Men's Golf Team ??? ]

I was wondering that too, but I don't think their guys are much more familiar with it than ours. It's one of my favorites after Yeaman's Hall.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 10, 2020, 4:51 PM

Palmetto and Yeaman’s Hall are my two favorite courses in SC.

Mar 10, 2020, 5:33 PM

Yep ..... just the best. I played Yeamans with Arnold Palmer ..... what a treat!

Mar 10, 2020, 5:46 PM

Playing YH is a treat in and of itself, but to play it with Mr. Palmer takes it to another level.

Do what? You played a round of golf with Arnie? I'd like to hear

Mar 10, 2020, 5:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson's Men's Golf Team ??? ]

more about that, if you don't mind. That's some All Time Wish List chit right there.

Hey man, what did you do today? Not much... played 18 with Arnie, shot hoops with Larry Bird, sparred a few rounds with Ali, the usual. On the way home I stopped at the corner pub, David Gilmour was there with his black strat, I played drums and he did the Comfortably Numb solo.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall

Mar 10, 2020, 6:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson's Men's Golf Team ??? ]

Okay .... a little more to the story.

An organization I was a member of (actually president that year ..... 2000) was going to present an award to Arnie. It was the same year that his book, A Golfer's Life, had come out. A couple of weeks before we were to give Arnie the award (At the Country Club of Charleston) he called and asked if he could play golf with us ........ duhhhhh .... yeah we think it would be OK.

We were playing at Yeaman's Hall that particular day, so me and two other members played with Arnie. Although we were in carts, my 16 year old son who was there with me caddied for Arnie. I had asked my barber, who was an excellent golfer if he would drive to Charleston to take my son back home for school the next day, I would introduce him to Arnie and he could play a round of golf at Yeaman's (though not with Arnie). I had given Arnie one of his books to autograph for my barber and asked him to put it in his golf bag and give it to my barber when he got to the course. He showed up when we were on the 16th hole and when I introduced him to Arnie, Arnie says "I've got something for you" and goes to his bag and gives him the book.

Arnie had just had his 70th birthday and was happy to play from the "members" tees with the rest of the foursome. About 40 members of the club had traveled out to the course to watch Arnie play, so one of them yelled to Arnie "Arnie, last time you were here you played the "whole" course. Arnie responded, "yeah, I'll start on the next tee", which he did. He wound up with a birdie on the last hole for an even par round.

Arnie was delightful to play with and such a great guy. After we had lunch at the club I drove Arnie to his plane and he invited me aboard, so he could show it to me (Citation 10, I believe). Right before we got to the airport, I had a golf ball that I told a nurse friend of mine that I would try and get autographed for her. Darn, I hated to ask Arnie to autograph that darn ball, but finally I asked and he couldn't have been nicer. When I started to leave the airport, I noticed that Arnie had left his navy blue sport coat in the car. The biggest mistake I ever made was taking that coat to the plane before he took off ....LOL!

Great day!

Wow. Outstanding story. Thanks for sharing... that's the kinda stuff

Mar 10, 2020, 7:01 PM

you share with your grandkids on your knee, who pass it down for generations.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wow. Outstanding story. Thanks for sharing... that's the kinda stuff

Mar 10, 2020, 8:33 PM

I sure will Dark Side.

Is it piling on to say that the following year I played with Jack Nicklaus at his course (Muirfield)?

Oh no, that's fine. Just give me a minute to finish

Mar 10, 2020, 8:47 PM

the noose and carve my name in the wooden beam, like Brooks in Shawshank. LOL. Yes, I'd love to hear whatever you wish to share. You were obviously very lucky to have these experiences... I assume you were well connected somehow in the world of golf.

Re: Oh no, that's fine. Just give me a minute to finish

Mar 10, 2020, 9:13 PM

That's funny! Yes, some golf connection and I have been very fortunate to have known and played with some great golfers. Kind of the same scenario with Jack, as we were giving him an award and were going to present it to him at his home course. A friend of mine and I were going to play a match against him and a young man who had won a Golf Digest contest the previous year. When we were making the match on the first tee, Jack asked what our handicaps were so we could set the strokes and my friend tells Jack he is a "3". I knew my friend was a "10" and had not been a 3 in many years. So on the first tee we give arguably the greatest golfer in history 7 strokes!

Jack was playing from the back tees as he was practicing for what would be his last Memorial Tournament as a contestant. We were playing from a tee up, so our drives were landing in the same spot about all day. When we got to the 13th a long Par 4 (for me), we were both in the middle of the fairway and I was about a yard ahead of Jack and only about 10' to the side of his ball. He asked his caddie what his yardage was and was told 201 yards. I mumbled audibly, "I guess I am about 200" and Jack looked over at me like "who the heII are you". J

Jack hit a 5 iron into the bunker on the right side of the putting surface and I hit a 3 wood that carried a bunker and wound up about 15' below the flagstick. Jack had a bunker shot to a green sloping severely away and left his ball hanging in the thicker collar grass. He then tried to blade his wedge like a putt and putted it all the way off the green. I putted that 15 footer 6' past and above the flagstick. I curled in the 6 footer for a par and Jack wound up with a double!!!!

Ultimately we lost the match, but Jack did not beat us. It was his 15 handicap partner who birdied #14 and the par 3 #16 to close us out. I still owe Jack $2.

Mar 10, 2020, 10:26 PM

You aren’t going to believe this, but I caddied for John Rivers in the mid 90’s when Mr, Rivers had Arnie out and he, Arnie, Frank Ford and John Harris played at Yeamans. I worked in the shop and ran carts through Highschool and college at Yeamans.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 10, 2020, 10:48 PM

That's very neat. That must have been when Arnie played the "whole" course. I know Frank Ford very well. As for Johnny Harris ...... no comment! I'm sure Mr. Rivers is a nice man.

Mar 10, 2020, 10:52 PM

Yep, that was the whole course. Mr. Palmer seemed like a good guy (which I’m sure he was).

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 10, 2020, 11:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Oh no, that's fine. Just give me a minute to finish ]

My dad knew Frank Ford when he (my dad) was alive. Knew a LOT of South Carolina golfers.

MauldinT, where are you???

Mar 11, 2020, 11:21 AM

Big Daddy ..... there were three Frank Fords. The "original" Frank Ford owned a concrete company and was an outstanding golfer. I knew him in the late 1980's when he was in his 80's, maybe late 80's. His son, Frank Ford, Jr. was killed in the Eastern Airline crash in Charlotte that was traveling from Charleston to Charlotte in 1974. I never knew him, but suspect he too was an excellent golfer. His son, Frank Ford III, is an outstanding golfer and still plays. Your dad probably played with Ford Sr. or Jr.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic