Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
State of the Program
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,516

State of the Program

Mar 19, 2015, 10:25 PM

To me, there are big differences between what we are right now (practically irrelevant), being relevant in the ACC, and being relevant nationally (not necessarily ranked, but being able to consistently get into the tournament via at-large bids). About halfway through the ACC season, someone said on here that in a few years, with the new renovations and a few stud recruits, we'd be competing for ACC titles, and that's just not true.

While some people are constantly saying we need top-line facilities like what Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, etc. have, so we can build into those types of programs (that would obviously be awesome), I think we have to work our way up the ladder a little more. While those programs are those that have proven that they can win national championships, I think what we need is to be closer to the level of a VCU, Wichita State, Butler, etc. (or perhaps, on a more local level, NC State).

None of these programs have state-of-the-art arenas or practice facilities. Outside of maybe 1-2 at a time on a given roster, none of them load up on the big time recruits. Instead, they work with what they have, are typically well-coached, consistent programs, and have reasonable expectations.

After all, we are a football-first school. We don't have to be great in basketball, or maybe even always good. But that doesn't mean that we can't at least be RELEVANT, more so than we already are. I'll continue to support our team and program, but I don't think that we need to be (or will be) competing with Duke, UNC, UVA, ND, or Louisville anytime soon.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're a babbling moran, flailing at the wind like a

Mar 19, 2015, 10:31 PM

desperate bird trying to catch a bat.

Clemson IS great in basketball, maybe you just don't see it being clouded by your coot-like dissatisfaction with your loaded conference.

Clemson is a WINNING BASKETBALL PROGRAM IN THE TOP CONFERENCE IN BASKETBALL!

Let that sink in before you go bad-mouthing the program again, hoopster.

Re: You're a babbling moran, flailing at the wind like a

Mar 19, 2015, 10:35 PM

You're right, I'm a coot.

Must've missed the part where I said I'd continue to support our team and program.

Sorry for trying to use a little reason and logic on here, I would just like to see our program winning to the extent that we'd be playing today or tomorrow.

Oh I hear ya loud n' clear, bro. You would've gotten a

Mar 19, 2015, 10:44 PM

point or two if you hadn't spelled everything so effing perfectly.

But alas, like many other posters u continue 2 ramble on about the same topic w/o giving actual real answers as to what Clemson can actually do that is feasible to turn the program into a consistent contender.

There is only one answer, & one answer there only is.

& that answer is that Clemson'd have to hire a big-time coach. A coach that's already proven, because it's been proven time & time again that an inexperienced coach is not going to keep Clemson in the top 25.

Either hire Bob Knight or please stop posting about your dissatisfaction, because it's pointless & I suggest you adopt my approach now & be extremely happy that u can say u cheer for a team that's got a winning record playing in the top-dog conference of them all.

Re: Oh I hear ya loud n' clear, bro. You would've gotten a

Mar 19, 2015, 10:48 PM

For starters, I don't think Brownell is the answer but he deserves his chances he'll get over the next two years. I don't know that we have to get a big-time coach, but maybe a young assistant from a program that is a notch above us, like Shaka Smart, Greg Marshall, and other mid-major coaches were. So there's my proposal for a solution. Heck, even Harvard's coach, who was just coaching tonight, played and coached under Coach K. What about a guy like him?

Look, man; get real with me here for a split second.

Mar 20, 2015, 10:21 AM

Even if Clemson DID hire a big-name basketball coach, that's not necessarily guaranteeing anything either. The ACC ain't no joke; just think how much MORE effort the conference would put into their games vs Clemson.

Let's say the Tigers get Bob Knight or Lute Olson; heck, Coach K probly has a recruiting gear we haven't seen yet! He'd probly end up getting his best classes ever when Clemson gets big-time in basketball!

I don't want to say it's impossible like coot football, but I'm almost expecting C. of C. to get into the Final Four before Clemson ever does.

to be like unc, duke, Kentucky and Kansas we need to

Mar 19, 2015, 10:44 PM

Change our colors from orange to blue. Its so obvious ;)

I've never been to arenas at VCU, WichitaSt, or Butler, but

Mar 19, 2015, 10:48 PM

I've been to NCSt's arena numerous times....and if you DON'T think its state of the art, then you and I have two totally disconnected views of what the term "state of the art" means......IMO, NCSt's PNC arena is better than the Deandome and it is certainly better than Cameron Indoor. UVa has a new facility, GaTech does as well...I think it'll be OK if Clemson spruces up LJ

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've never been to arenas at VCU, WichitaSt, or Butler, but

Mar 19, 2015, 10:51 PM

I'm not saying that LJC can't use some help, because I think it can for a number of reasons. But Duke, UNC, and NC State, nevermind their arenas, probably have practice facilities that are a notch above ours, too.

Anyways, not to get caught up in the facilities debate. I meant that aspiring to reach their level of success (two tourney appearances in as many years) wouldn't be a bad way to start. Gottfried has them trending upward.

Re: I've never been to arenas at VCU, WichitaSt, or Butler, but

Mar 20, 2015, 5:50 AM

I'd quit trying to post reasonable, rational opinions here. If it doesn't fit the "narrative of the day" your opinion gets slammed and your tiger fan "credentials" are called into question by referring to you as a coot. What childish BS! Some people need to get over themselves, way too much self importance!

Re: State of the Program

Mar 20, 2015, 6:17 AM

So since we are football first, I guess we should just quit? Baseball is mediocre, but since we are football first that's ok. If there were more then 3,000 fans at that Winthrop game Clemson just might have beat them.

Here comes the thumbs down football thumpers. We are the Clemson Tigers, Not the Clemson football tigers

Simple solution:

Mar 20, 2015, 10:23 AM

Students show up to the games to support the team

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,516
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic