Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Offense lulls?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Offense lulls?

Dec 3, 2017, 10:17 AM

What is it that causes our offense seemingly every game to go into the lull that Dabo mentioned going into halftime last night? Not trying to be critical, it just seems like every game we run into that period of play where our offense just stalls out for a quarter or two and just wondering what is the cause? Is it that we are just not keeping consistent 1st stringers in play to improve our depth?

With all of Clemson's success, its incredible that we have gotten to such a point this year that it still seems our offense has yet to achieve their max potential and seems like we haven't yet reached the peek of what we can do...which is just amazing! Into the CFP for 3 years in a row...just amazing!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Honestly, we just don't have a great offense.

Dec 3, 2017, 10:21 AM

It's functional, it's not a BAD offense by any means, but it's not at the level we had with Watson or the Boyd + Sammy + Nuk teams.

Our defense, on the other hand, is fantastic. Better than 2015 or 2016 defenses IMO.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

See, I don't buy that. Our O is pretty dang strong.

Dec 3, 2017, 10:24 AM

There is more of a reason for the lulls then that.

OU has a great offense, right?

Dec 3, 2017, 11:07 AM [ in reply to Honestly, we just don't have a great offense. ]

How many points would Clemson need to score in the ACCCCG to impress you? We played two backup QBs for the entire forth quarter. Did Mayfield sit out for the fourth quarter or something?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Offense lulls?

Dec 3, 2017, 10:21 AM

I think some of its by design..All year long minus 1 , we get up enough and then go into conservative mode ..Cant blame them bc of the defense we have.. I don't think we have even begun to open up the playbook..Look at the early jet sweeps against the Coots and the option plays... Only time we have used them

Dec 3, 2017, 10:33 AM

I wish we could go back to the days of scoring a Touch Down on every play, those were the best.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2017, 10:34 AM

Lol! Come on, you know what I mean.

all teams have lulls on offense

Dec 3, 2017, 10:41 AM

and like the gamecocks, Miami did a very good job of taking Bryant's legs out of the game and forced us to beat them with his arm. And their interior line was just too good for us to just run it up the middle all night. That was a good defense and their strengths matched ours.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2017, 10:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Offense lulls? ]

Lol! Come on, you know what I mean.

38 to 3 is just embarrassing for our offense.

Dec 3, 2017, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Offense lulls? ]

It should have been at least 67-3 if our offense was legit.

Oh well, better luck next year.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 38 to 3 is just embarrassing for our offense.

Dec 3, 2017, 10:52 AM

Thats not what I have said or meant. Keep it honest.

It’s a product of a heavy rotation

Dec 3, 2017, 10:39 AM

players that don’t get tons of reps with first team are playing and the offense can stall with one bad play to get in long distance 3rd downs. It’s also due to playcalls at times, just the team trying to get to next game injury free. This has happened times this year and does not bother me too much, but sometimes it bothers me lol. Good problem to have ????

Re: It’s a product of a heavy rotation

Dec 3, 2017, 10:42 AM

Thats exactly what I have been thinking as well. Thats why I think our best offensive game may still be ahead of us this year...which is incredible!

Dec 3, 2017, 10:41 AM

Actually we're basically as productive as last year but not as explosive. We run A LOT more which burns more clock and results in less scoring. But it keeps the defense fresh and has been very successful so far. If we go conservative up 21+ I'm fine with it.

Dec 3, 2017, 10:47 AM

Thats a very good point!

Dec 3, 2017, 10:44 AM

If we played in the Big12 , there wouldn't be any lulls .
That being said , all offenses have breaks in the action ..its not really a huge surprise .
If our offense scores 38 points and suffered through some inconsistency in it's function ...then we must be pretty good .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Dec 3, 2017, 10:46 AM

Oh yeah, Im not trying to be critical. Just wondering if there is a reason behind it especially because that forecasts some potentially very good things heading into the CFP!

We scored 38 points against a great defense...

Dec 3, 2017, 10:55 AM

and really didn't have a lull last night. We weren't going to score a TD every position of the game.

Dec 3, 2017, 10:58 AM

Other team makes adjustments.

Dec 3, 2017, 11:03 AM

You have coaches that come up with great game plans!! Normally by the end of the first quarter Clemson is in control.
We normally have an opponent. Sometimes they have a pulse and good coaches and they adjust.
Then often by that time Clemson is playing back ups!
Goodness they just one their 3rd straight ACC Championship!
They played 3 qbs in this game. I think they are alright!

Dec 3, 2017, 11:03 AM

You have coaches that come up with great game plans!! Normally by the end of the first quarter Clemson is in control.
We normally have an opponent. Sometimes they have a pulse and good coaches and they adjust.
Then often by that time Clemson is playing back ups!
Goodness they just one their 3rd straight ACC Championship!
They played 3 qbs in this game. I think they are alright!

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic