Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Call me a disillusioned old man, but
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Call me a disillusioned old man, but

Dec 8, 2018, 12:23 PM

once Jackson won the Heisman over DW4, the award became meaningless to me. I will still feel the same even if Trevor or Travis were to win it.

Now get the H E ! ! off of my lawn!

GO TIGERS!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: Odds are

Dec 8, 2018, 12:24 PM

They may get it right on occassion.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Odds are

Dec 8, 2018, 12:25 PM

Well, there is that....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Call me a disillusioned old man, but

Dec 8, 2018, 12:30 PM

I saw the lists of the top 10 who didn't deserve the heisman. Disappointed Jackson was not on it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You misspelled "crotchety."

Dec 8, 2018, 12:30 PM

Here's something that might help.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/how-not-to-become-a-crotchety-old-man-mary-mchugh/1102012507

(And no, it never helped me.)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You misspelled "crotchety."

Dec 8, 2018, 1:20 PM

THANKS Billy!

( for telling me it never helped you, that is. Saves me a trip to Barnes & Noble AND the $29.95.... )

You're welcome. I figure you're probably "beyond help"

Dec 9, 2018, 12:35 PM

as much as I am.

Re: You misspelled "crotchety."

Dec 8, 2018, 2:52 PM [ in reply to You misspelled "crotchety." ]

Are you assuming I don't enjoy being a crotchety old man. I'm offended, where's my safe space ?

You are a disillusioned old man

Dec 8, 2018, 12:33 PM

But this time I agree with you.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2018, 12:46 PM

Jackson was a freak and had the stats to backup a Heisman. He was a very special players. The disappointing thing about him was that A LOT (but not all) of his stats were against the worst teams he played. Really he whipped FSU in like week 3 and it was all over.

What pissed me off more is Henry winning the year before when ever RB at Bama gets 2000 yards and he was just another guy.

The media is so hung up with trying to be the first to report something that they stumble over themselves to declare the Heisman winner WAYYYYYYYYYY too early in the season and they generally default to the best player on the best team because it is harder to talk about how good a player is on a non-elite team. When it comes down to it its irresponsible reporting that is the cause of most of the problems.

Also it's idiotic that voters even have the option to vote BEFORE the season is over. ###

So they give the award to Tua today

Dec 8, 2018, 1:01 PM

In 3 weeks Murray throws for a pile & runs for another pile and OK beats Bammer. How could they possibly consider that the biggest individual award in College Football?

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Totally agree! +1***

Dec 8, 2018, 1:03 PM

Totally agree! +1***

Dec 8, 2018, 1:04 PM

Call me a disillusioned old man too

Dec 8, 2018, 1:17 PM

but I felt the same way. Their minds were made up week 1. I now put the Heisman with the Nobel prize as far a validity

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Jackson deserved it as much as anyone

Dec 8, 2018, 1:19 PM

Derrick Henry winning while averaging just 5.6 YPC was worse.

Henry winning over McCaffrey was highway robbery

Dec 10, 2018, 9:10 AM

Deshaun was obviously great too but McCaffrey deserved it that year.

The following year is when Deshaun really got robbed.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2018, 1:35 PM

Jackson 2016* - 5514 total yards, 3390 passing at 8.9 YPA, 1538 rushing at 6.6 YPA, 51 total TDs with 9 INTs

Watson 2016* - 4443 total yards, 3914 passing at 8.0 YPA, 529 rushing at 4.1 YPA, 43 total TDs with 15 INTs

*Have to remove Watson's playoff stats and Jackson's bowl stats because the voting occurred before those games.

For those saying that Jackson's stats were padded by playing deeper into games, he still averaged more yards per pass attempt and way more yards per rush than Watson while also scoring more TDs and throwing less picks. He was the more efficient player. And then he went out and essentially had the exact same season again last year and it got totally glossed over because his team was even worse.

I get that Watson's team was better, but he also had a much, much better supporting cast. Maybe Lamar Jackson would've been incredible at Clemson too. Look at how far Louisville fell off this year after he left. He was about the only thing holding that team up last year.

Dec 9, 2018, 4:57 PM

Most of his votes came from ESPN showing the clip of him hurdling a player shown 100s of times. Sorta like the Clowney hit...

Dec 10, 2018, 8:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Call me a disillusioned old man, but ]

Looking back at this your numbers are off.
3390 yds passing + 1538 yds rushing = 4928 yds total for Jackson.

Biggest negative for Watson is Interceptions, biggest plus was winning, especially when it mattered most!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To me Jackson’s win exposed what a garbage trophy

Dec 8, 2018, 1:36 PM

the Heisman has become. And I say that understanding full well what a special player Jackson was that year.

But ESPN’s non-stop non-stop lobbying for him even as he faded toward the end of the season, as if they didn’t want to look stupid for declaring him the winner in week four, was pathetic.

The fact that voters submitted their votes weeks before the season ended is a joke.

Assuming that the Heisman committee respects their award so little that they don’t try to guide their voters to exactly what it means (it does refer to character also), thus allowing it to be a highlight reel producing or popularity award, is pathetic.

If they had shown more discipline and respect for their own award, and Jackson still won, I would have a lot more respect for it.

I still want our guys to win it, because I think they would like it. But otherwise it means nothing to me b

null

Winners being a bust in the NFL told me it was garbage.***

Dec 8, 2018, 1:44 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why? It's a college award not a pro award.

Dec 8, 2018, 2:01 PM

Did Charlie Ward not deserve the award because he went on to play in the NBA instead of the NFL? Will Kyler Murray not deserve it if he wins tonight since he's opting for pro baseball instead of football? Did Eric Crouch not deserve it because he was an option QB and had to change positions in the pros because nobody ran the option? (OK, OK Crouch probably didn't actually deserve it, but that's not the point.)

Dec 8, 2018, 1:44 PM

It might help at least a little if they waited until all games are played, including the CFP, to vote, and not allow any ballots prior to then. I am convinced DW4 would be a 2-time winner if that policy had been in place.

Dec 8, 2018, 2:49 PM

Per your request, you are a disillusioned old man. I happen to agree with you.

Also, I agree with you. Initially it was intended to include character as well as stats. Despite how it's changed, it's still a valid argument lj did not deserve it over DW based on the TRUE meaning if the award.

Got to go, there are some kids in my yard that need yelled at.

Dec 8, 2018, 3:33 PM

In 2016 Louisville was. 8-4, 4-4 ACC when Jackson was given the Heisman. They would lose to Miss St in their bowl game. Deshaun Watson and Clemson was 12-1 ACC Champions and would beat Ohio St 31-0 and Alabama 35-31 to win the CFP National Championship. Stats are a measureable, but isn't Best one of the criteria for the Heisman? Doesn't the best player mean he helps his team win and win big games? No, the award shouldn't go to the best player on the best team but if players are anywhere close in performance, contribution to winning should count.

Agreed - it's an ESPN popularity contest***

Dec 8, 2018, 2:53 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You must have forgotten how Lamar hurdled that guy.***

Dec 8, 2018, 3:04 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: You must have forgotten how Lamar hurdled that guy.***

Dec 8, 2018, 3:46 PM

https://twitter.com/CBSSports/status/1066501937489682433

They left this guy out !

Dec 9, 2018, 11:59 AM

Same here Bill, that is a popularity award, and who ever gets it for the rest of my time, it will be bc they were the most popular!!!

Like Bill, get the #### off my porch, and stay the #### off of it!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s always been just a popularity contest voted on

Dec 9, 2018, 5:25 PM

for the most part before the season is over.

That being said, Jackson was, arguably, the best choice for the regular season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It’s always been just a popularity contest voted on

Dec 9, 2018, 11:11 PM

And the Heisman is supposed to include character, community and integrity also. But then those who don't understand this think Jackson should have won the Heisman. Watson's team achieved more. Football is a team sport. The Heisman is a football award.

Dec 10, 2018, 8:20 AM

once Jackson won the Heisman over DW4, the award became meaningless to me. I will still feel the same even if Trevor or Travis were to win it.

Now get the H E ! ! off of my lawn!

GO TIGERS!!!

I believe it was over when they did not give it to Peyton Manning

You're not.

Dec 10, 2018, 8:47 AM

The heisman lost it's value when Peyton didn't win.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was halfway there when CJ didn't even get invited...

Dec 10, 2018, 11:22 AM

When Watson didn't win, I was done with that award.

I'll be happy for TL or TE if they should ever win, but I'm not holding my breathe and it's going to be jaded by the fact they got it so wrong before.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic