Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
OUTDOOR TV ANTENNA
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

OUTDOOR TV ANTENNA

Jun 6, 2019, 6:01 PM

Gents:

Looking for some recommendations on a good Outdoor TV Antenna for my tailgate for this year.
I live in Toronto and going to the 'Cuse game and would like to put together a good outdoor tailgate with a couple TV's.

I am a Newb when it comes to the technology aspect of the Tailgate.

Any helpful insights appreciated!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OUTDOOR TV ANTENNA

Jun 6, 2019, 6:54 PM

Not a gent but have connected an antenna. Different antennas work better in different areas. I would call a Best Buy or equivalent in that area and tell them what you want to do and see which one they recommend. Another idea. There is a little dongle that connects to an IPhone with and HDMI connection on the other end. Get the game going on your phone and connect to the HDMI port on the tv. Works great!

Jun 6, 2019, 6:57 PM

Should have stated Ladies and Gents!

I though of this, but we in the great White north do not have unlimited Data without paying over $150 a month or giving your first born (lack of competition) and crooked government, as well we do not get ESPN.

Thanks for the insight

Jun 6, 2019, 7:09 PM

I am about to look but, do we know you is televising the game? An antenna will help you with NBC, CBS, and ABC. You can use a splitter to view on multiple tvs. If the game is on one of the ESPN channels, a free channel antenna will not help you.

Jun 6, 2019, 7:14 PM

7:30 ABC. You are in luck! All you will need is a power source and the antenna. I have connected a Leaf indoor antenna in a condo and it is pretty powerful. The website notable.org might be worth a read. Good Luck!

Jun 6, 2019, 7:24 PM

I am going to the game was more for the tailgate during the day.
Nooner games and 3:30 game.
Thanks for the help!

Jun 6, 2019, 7:29 PM

The website is nocable.org not notable. I cannot type tonight!

Jun 6, 2019, 11:56 PM

I don't know what you are looking for, but here are a few....

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Antennas-Direct-C2-J30-V-ClearStream-2-Complete-Long-Range-UHF-VHF-Antenna/34845738?action=product_interest&action_type=title&beacon_version=1.0.2&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&client_guid=4e7f9c7e-3899-4cbd-850d-b9b26ba7bb48&config_id=72&customer_id_enc&findingMethod=p13n&guid=4e7f9c7e-3899-4cbd-850d-b9b26ba7bb48&item_id=34845738&parent_anchor_item_id=24849758&parent_item_id=24849758&placement_id=irs-72-b3&reporter=recommendations&source=new_site&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=aGEL8StmovKAeWzMwD2OD8

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2019, 10:14 AM

This is going to be very difficult unless you know the exact location you plan to set up your tailgate at Syracuse. The reason for this is that the signals coming from the broadcast towers travel through the air & bounce off of all kinds of things (buildings, trees, etc), so the signal strength is going to vary all over Syracuse’s campus.

I haven’t been to Syracuse, so a I don’t know if their campus is hilly, but that will also affect reception (stronger on top of a hill, weaker if you’re at the bottom of a hill).

You might try to find an address for a place where you’ll likely be tailgating, and then put that into one of the signal strength websites like tvfool (https://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29) to get an idea of what the signal strength is.

From there, you’ll know if the signal is generally strong enough to use an “Omni” antenna, or if you’ll need to resort to a “directional” antenna, which you have to aim at the strongest broadcast tower. Those type of antennas usually need a power amplifier to boost the signal so your TV can display it.

Note that not all the tv stations have their towers located at the same place. Depending on where you are, for example, NBC, ABC are in one location (EX: 127 degrees from north), while CBS is located at 88 degrees from north. This would mean that you’d have to move the antenna if you wanted to switch from ABC to CBS, so kinda a PITA. Best case is to hope ABC & CBS towers are in the same place, so you can at least flip between whatever the SEC game is & the ABC game.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic