Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
OT: Just got a job offer... TU for help
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,874

OT: Just got a job offer... TU for help

Aug 22, 2012, 2:54 PM

What is the best way to ask for a little bit more salary before accepting the offer?

Also, where are some good places to live near the Shriners Hospital in greenville for young professionals?

Thanks in advance.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OT: Just got a job offer... TU for help

Aug 22, 2012, 2:57 PM

http://blogs.hbr.org/hmu/2012/04/how-to-negotiate-your-next-sal.html

Found this when I googled...

Aug 22, 2012, 3:01 PM

Negotiating Salary: http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=negotiating salary&fr=mcsaoff

There are several links to explore for advice.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

centurytiger®

Do what NFL players do and either don't show up work

Aug 22, 2012, 3:05 PM

(Maurice Jones-Drew and Mike Wallace) or show up and do a really crappy job (DeShaun Jackson)--works for them

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just pull a "Frank Howard:"

Aug 22, 2012, 3:15 PM

Walk into the boss' office looking very serious and say: "You won't EVER have to worry about me telling anyone about my salary....Because I'm just as ashamed of it as you are!" Two things will then happen: he'll say, "Well let's discuss it." OR (and in greater probability) he'll say, "Get the h3ll outa here!" Regardless, you'll know where you stand after that! lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2012, 3:31 PM

t-mailed you re. places to live in the area...

Aug 22, 2012, 3:49 PM

If this is your first job out of college then the salary they are offering is usually what they are willing to pay. If you really want to work there and be in Greenville be carefull. If you have other offers you could always say " I really want to work here but have other offers. Is this the top of the range you can offer". Remember it's not the greatest enironment right now.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When he says "you got the job" you say..AND?????

Aug 22, 2012, 3:51 PM

works every time.

Let them know you were expecting a salary offer at a higher

Aug 22, 2012, 3:57 PM

level, then let them know specifically what that level is. If there are benefits or perks available in lieu of additional salary, that's always a good place to fall back on, in addition to a level between what they offered and what you're asking for. At the very least your prospective employer will have a better understanding of what your true expectations are in terms of compensation and it can help better define when and where those opportunities exist to meet those expectations up front as you head down the road together.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2012, 4:20 PM

If you are asking Mr. Dumas for more money don't refer to him as Mr. Dumbazz.

Aug 23, 2012, 12:36 PM

Make an appointment after work and go talk to him/her. Tell them you've though it over carefully but were you take their offer you believe you would be 'selling yourself short.' Note the quote and consider carefully what you will be saying. Consider also what they will be hearing.

If they picked you and courted you to the point of making you an offer then they have decided you are the best candidate for the job. If that's not the case do you really want to work for someone who selects a candidate because he works cheap?

You must consider that if you don't get what you want up front you will never get it. I made two mistakes in my life both were 'needing,' a job.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

READ this

Aug 23, 2012, 12:51 PM

Tell them this story....

In 1984 the Portland Trailblazers had a chance to draft whomever they wished. They opted for Sam Bowie. The next team drafted Michael Jordan.
The Trailblazers let the greatest player slip right through their fingers. Tell the employer, you're sure he has other options....but not to let YOU slip through his fingers.
Then get up....and WALK OUT.

He will call you.

Did the subject come up at all during the interview process

Aug 23, 2012, 1:13 PM

or on the application? If so, do not ask for more than you stated (unless the job responsibilities are far off from what was originally stated).

If the subject came up and their offer is lower - simply respond and say that you are excited about the opportunity and would love to work there but you need something closer to what you said in the interview (or application).

If the subject never came up (which is suprising) - simply respond and say that you are excited about the opportunity and would love to work there but you were expecting something closer to $??????.

However - be prepared for them to say "OK, then" and move on to the next best applicant.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 23, 2012, 1:55 PM

Sometimes it might depend on how much experience you have in that field, or just how good you really are. If you have no experience (and it bothers me that you're on a message board trying to find out how to do this), and it sounds like you have NONE, then take the offer unless you can't live with it and are willing to wait on another offer. I'm sorry to be so tactless, but business is business, and it sounds like you might not have that much experience. You might become extremely great in time, and when you do, then you will get the offers that you want.

Also, companies have constraints on what they can and cannot offer, and pressuring them for more can turn a pleasant situation into a bad one. Just tread lightly if this is one of your first jobs.

Otherwise - if you are a freaking guru - you can name your price and they will take your demands under serious consideration.

Good luck man.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,874
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic