Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
OSU Fans
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

OSU Fans

Dec 20, 2016, 12:56 PM

Since we have this huge layoff between the bowl game, I have been reading on the OSU boards just to see their perspective on the game. Just like every other team, they have their crazy fans. But by in large, they have a pretty good fan base from what I have seen. They are pretty thoughtful about the actual game and complimenting us on our strengths. There was even a post about when Dabo said Clemson would win the national title at some point. I was impressed they took the time to get the full context of his quote and most of them said they had no problem with it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've frequented elevenwarriors and agree with you

Dec 20, 2016, 1:02 PM

the comments after their articles are well reasoned for the most part; most OSU fans think that the Buckeyes will win but all seem to think it will more or less be a battle.

Many on TNet seem to be playing the roll of Land Thieves last year - where they were dismissive of Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've frequented elevenwarriors and agree with you

Dec 20, 2016, 1:31 PM

Yeah, Land Thieves wasn't the best. There were only a few who gave us credit for being #1. Maybe some of that had to do with spite towards Venables. But Eleven Warriors have some good people who are just pulling for the wrong team. :)

But OSU will be a tough matchup. Told people that I didn't want to play them b/c they run the spread and they are talented and fast. Plus Meyer has only loss 5 games in 5 years at OSU. It should be a classic. We have everything we need to beat them, but the margin for error is very small.

Re: OSU Fans

Dec 20, 2016, 1:03 PM

They have fans that understands the actual game of college FB where anything can happen during every minute of the game that can and will change the course of a game. Understanding that will help keep a fan humble!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it sure will***

Dec 20, 2016, 1:32 PM

Dec 20, 2016, 1:10 PM

I live in Ohio and while a lot of fans are way too delusional here, the ones I respect are showing a great deal of mutual respect towards Clemson. They understand that Clemson's gonna be a tough test and are aware that they've never seen anything like us this season. They know how dangerous we can be and therefore causing a concern. They're praying that their D will give them a shot since they know their offense won't be enough (i.e. Clemson will win if it turns out to be a shootout). I've already gotten some smug looks at restaurants and stores while wearing Clemson gear. Can't wait!!!

Dec 20, 2016, 2:00 PM

And a number of them are scared about how their OL Prince is going to hold up against our D-line. He has supposedly been a weak link in their OL this year.

Dec 20, 2016, 2:13 PM

Yes we are, as he was torched by Penn State and M*chigan

Dec 20, 2016, 9:22 PM

I don't like Samuel matched up against our LB's underneath. That would be a death blow. I hope Venables will put Wallace on him. If we see Williams in there I'm sure we'll lose.
25 can rumble and 4 is real good plus JT. It will be close, they aren't pushovers like the Land Thieves.

I am skeptical that their D is actually that good given the b1 G schedule. Its not littered with offensive powerhouses. We will need a lot of RPO's, some DW4 critical runs, and lots of good passing to win obviously. Not sure if Gallman will be able to set a tone or not. It will be a game.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 20, 2016, 10:01 PM

Yeah, Samuel is kind of the key to our success on offense. I know JT can move the offense but Samuel is really the difference maker. If his touches are >15 I like our chances. <15 and we're probably in trouble.

#25 Weber, is solid, but still immature, imo. He's a hard runner, but just can't seem to break those shoe-string tackles like Zeke did. I think he runs high, without lifting his feet high off the ground, hence, the shoe-string tackles. That said, he still rushed for over 1,000 yards.

As mentioned in other threads, our week spot is our right tackle. Yes, I could say our passing game, but I believe the struggle with the passing game stems from JTs uneasiness because of Prince getting beat consistently in pass pro. Urban said in last week's presser that he's not seen a guy work harder in the last two weeks than Prince. Coach-speak, motivational ploy, or reality, I don't know. But I wouldn't be surprised if Clemson attacked the RT position.

I think Michigan is the best defense we'll face all year, including Clemson. I believe Clemson is way up there in terms of their ability, especially their ferocious D-line. That said, Lville scored big numbers (expected), but so did Florida State (eh), Pitt (really, Pitt), and VT (not exactly a juggernaut). Which Clemson will we get on the 31st? For that matter, which OSU offense will we get - the MSU version or the one that dominated Oklahoma? Great questions.

Dec 21, 2016, 7:44 AM

That analysis is spot on. Tiger living in northern Ohio here. OSU can beat us, and we can beat OSU. Should be a great game. The performance of the Tiger D and turnover margin are the keys to the game.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2016, 9:35 AM

Where are you at up in Ohio? I hail from Canton originally.

Dec 21, 2016, 9:37 AM

Sorry, quick check of your profile tells me you must have a season pass to Cedar Point. I'm sure you're enjoying the weather right about now...

Dec 21, 2016, 9:46 AM

Ha! Took some getting used to. Just put a cooking vent in my insulated backyard shed so I could grill on my egg in winter. Now to put a kegarator in there....

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2016, 11:39 AM [ in reply to Re: OSU Fans ]

I'm going to have to differ with you on a few points in your comments. You talk about the 4 schools that put points on the board against. Take Louisville for instance. Up 28-10 going into the 3rd quarter, 3 fumbles (none by Watson) gave them momentum and dealing with LJ is no easy task. FSU AT FSU is always a tough out, going against another TOP player in Cook is also not an easy task. Pitt and it's funny that you mention Pitt as they gave PSU a loss, the same PSU that beat OSU, and VT would probably beat everyone in the Big 10 outside of Michigan or OSU (though they have done that before too). All four of those games were against Top 25 teams. OSU struggled against 3-9 MSU, a team PSU had no problems with.

I think you guys are in for a game you're not prepared for. Just my opinion of course.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2016, 5:35 AM

Whisky and PSU would beat the pants off of Va. Tech.

Dec 22, 2016, 1:06 PM

While I have no doubt Penn State/Wisconsin would both beat Va Tech, Wisconsin doesn't blow teams out. That would be a very close game. I have a lot of respect for Justin Fuente and Va Tech but think PSU would edge them in a high scoring game.

Dec 22, 2016, 8:43 AM [ in reply to Re: OSU Fans ]

Yeah, VT lost to Tenn, Syracuse, GT, and y'all. Sorry, but only one of those is respectful and I think you know which one that is.

What's funny is somehow if it takes place in another conference it must not be all that good. But all of the sudden the ACC is top of the heap? B1G is good at the top, lacks good middling teams, and has some downright awful teams, a LOT of conferences are like that this year. Even the top teams this year have glaring holes - Clem has been inconsistent/plays down, OSU can't throw a forward pass, UM has no offense, Bama hasn't played a team with a pulse all year, and I could go on.

Comparing common opponents is also flawed. PSU rocked MSU, sure. They also got run by nearly 40 points by UM, a team which OSU beat (barely).

My only point is that the Clemson D has been a bit Jekyll and Hyde. Personally I think they have the capability to be very good, very stingy. However, they've also shown they're susceptible to balanced, dynamic teams.

Lastly, if you think Urban won't have this team prepared you're nuts. A month to prepare in a revenge game, he's gonna have his guys ready. Honestly, if you think any one of the four coaches won't have a gameplan you're on something. If you've read anything on Eleven Warriors you would see the respect our writers have shown your team, and read comments of nothing but praise for Clemson from our head coach.

Spent sometime in their backyard, recently.

Dec 21, 2016, 12:19 PM [ in reply to Re: OSU Fans ]

They are respectful, concerned, but very much looking foward to it. They are as confident as we are. No trash talk.

-DaNT

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Haven't been to their site but that shouldn't surprise anyone.

Dec 20, 2016, 1:24 PM

Ohio loves their Buckeyes (I mean...who else? The Bengals? The Browns?) and they've been a powerhouse for decades.

null

Re: Haven't been to their site but that shouldn't surprise anyone.

Dec 21, 2016, 8:26 PM

Been a Bengals fan for years and now that I think about it.....Maybe that is why I am so bitter!!!! :)

I sat in the middle of a bunch of them at the orangebowl

Dec 20, 2016, 1:46 PM

They couldn't understand why my son and I were constantly yelling on defense.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Great points, but LOL @ "by in large"

Dec 20, 2016, 1:56 PM

Not being grammar police, but that phrase struck me funny. With a small tweak, it would be "Buy-in Large", which might be a good alternate name for the Gamecock Club. They are buying into the SEC hype, buying into "Spurs Up", and now buying into the "Bentley=Peyton" argument.

All that buying in, and still no payouts in the form of championships or even sustained progress!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great points, but LOL @ "by in large"

Dec 20, 2016, 2:03 PM

Lol. Great catch. Should have been "by and large" or I could have just said "all things considered". That probably would have been better. Lol.

They will have you believe...

Dec 20, 2016, 2:05 PM [ in reply to Great points, but LOL @ "by in large" ]

that in his first year CussChamp improved the program by three games compared to the previous year.

What they don't like to talk about is from a statistical standpoint, both the offense and the defense were worse compared to last year.

They also don't like it when you remind them that they play a significantly easier schedule or that they played in what was by far the absolute worst Division among all of the Power 5 conferences.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Dec 20, 2016, 2:08 PM

Plenty of knowledgeable fans over there and some of the other kind as well. Fans are fans. I like it that way. Stop the run and don't turn the ball over and we win....... I think. If we don't do those 2 things we probably don't deserve to win.

They were pretty reasonable the last time we played them

Dec 20, 2016, 3:34 PM

in the bowl game.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

compared to Coots and SEC fans in general

Dec 20, 2016, 4:35 PM

They are angels.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

They are reasonable because they have "been there before."

Dec 20, 2016, 6:06 PM

they have confidence in their program and rightly they should. They also understand that Oh St. can't win it all every year.

You'd think the Bama homers would adopt this mentality...

Dec 20, 2016, 8:23 PM

OSU fan here and I want to say that I and most of my friends have nothing but the utmost respect for Clemson and their program. In my humble opinion I hope that it is a good game because if it is not then Clemson is blowing out my beloved Buckeyes. Here is to a good clean game with no injuries.

Dec 20, 2016, 8:32 PM

Sorry for the TD but only Tigers deserve a 100% pulse. When you've spent enough time here you'll figure out how few TDs I give. Most of the less than 1% I've given are for coots but I have handed out a few to fans of other teams.

Consider yourself graced for being one of the elite recipients.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 20, 2016, 8:36 PM

Well I feel welcomed. :)

"Good form, Jack!"

Dec 20, 2016, 11:54 PM

+1

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Good form, Jack!"

Dec 21, 2016, 7:31 PM

Name is not Jack but hey call me anything but late for supper. :)

Well said, may the best team w/ and no injuries to anyone

Dec 21, 2016, 7:40 PM [ in reply to Re: OSU Fans ]

I think this is the best bowl game of the year, easily.

Dec 20, 2016, 8:52 PM

I appreciate the kind words about OSU fans. Tho originally from Ohio I currently live in the Simpsonville area, and enjoy it very much. I think most Buckeye fans who follow more than just seeing scores each week realize how good and dangerous this Clemson team are.

I would encourage you guys to check out Eleven Warriors, where I frequent under the same SN. They've had several great articles on your team and, of course, several analyzing our own.

Thanks for welcoming those of us coming over to find out more about Clemson. There are more than you can even imagine in the Upstate, most are good people. Should be a great game.

Dec 20, 2016, 10:29 PM

Funny reading this thread because when everybody says that OSU fans have legitimate conversation, in the back of everyone's mind they are really thinking OSU fans are not idiots like the people on the FGF forums.

Dec 21, 2016, 12:15 AM

I hope they are good guys. I am going to the game with 2 of them. Roommates from CO. Got them to sit on the Clemson side though since they can high five each other.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2016, 10:27 AM

Ask fans of another Big Ten school about OSU and they will tell you we are scum of the earth, unfit to deliver pizzas to their door. Alas, I do believe losing to one team so frequently can cause one to feel such sentiments ;)

Dec 21, 2016, 10:37 AM

Ohio State fan here (obviously), born and raised in Columbus, and currently attend Ohio State. From my perspective, it is ludicrous Ohio State is favored in this game, and the more appropriate line should be Clemson by 3-3.5. Clemson is able to take advantage of Ohio State's two greatest weaknesses. That is 1) the right side of the offensive line, specifically RT Isiah Prince, and 2) their ability to cover slot WR's/TE's .In terms of fan breakdown, most Ohio State fans (including myself) are predicting a 70%-30% fan split at the Fiesta, and we are thinking it could get as bad as 80%-20%.

Dec 21, 2016, 11:27 AM

There are a lot of local tickets that go to neither Buckeye or Tiger fans. That will make up at least 20% of all ticket sales. I expect 50% OSU, 30% Clemson, 20% Neither.

Dec 21, 2016, 12:24 PM

ClemTiger - When it comes to playoffs/national championship games, the "local" tix always resale their tix to fans willing to pay. Expect at most a couple thousand neutral fans there, not many at all.

Dec 21, 2016, 8:00 PM

I went to the National Championship game at the same stadium 1 year ago. Trust me- there will be a lot of locals.

Dec 21, 2016, 8:51 PM

Clem - I have also been to a national championship here, albeit back in 07 for OSU/UF. The reason Ohio State fans are confident in the 70-30 split, is all of the locals will be Ohio State fans. Phoenix is often referred to as Columbus West.

Dec 21, 2016, 11:45 PM

Then Hilton Head is Columbus East.

Dec 22, 2016, 11:30 AM

Yes, that is what we refer to South Carolina in general as, Columbus East. When you live in a rust belt state that a lot of people can't wait to get away from, the benefactor of that is when it comes to bowl season, Ohio State outdraws everyone, including Alabama. I don't know another fan base that can play Alabama in New Orleans and have a 50/50 fan split. From serving in the military, I have close friends who are diehard Clemson Tiger fans, and I have always had a respect for all things Clemson. I love the colors, and the uniforms as well and Death Valley is on my sports bucket list.

Okay, I'll get you started... +1. Don't forget to come back

Dec 22, 2016, 12:51 PM

for your spankin'... ;~)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

+1...Das sum funni chit... Still laffin'.....***

Dec 22, 2016, 12:49 PM [ in reply to Re: OSU Fans ]

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic