Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
OK I will admit I dont know the qb rating system but why
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

OK I will admit I dont know the qb rating system but why

Sep 23, 2017, 10:00 AM

is KB in the low 80's? I dont know what else the kid could do that he hasnt done

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OK I will admit I dont know the qb rating system but why

Sep 23, 2017, 10:07 AM

Not sure if he has enough touch downs
Auburn game pulling him down

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

Sep 23, 2017, 10:09 AM

50 is supposed to be average, so KB being at 82.7 is actually pretty good at #15 in country. For reference DW4 was rated at 83.9 which was good for #6 in the country last year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Sep 23, 2017, 10:10 AM

It uses SEC QB's as the baseline model. KB keeps winning games, which is damaging his rating.

Sep 23, 2017, 10:12 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_quarterback_rating#Summary_of_computation

"According to ESPN, QBR was developed to measure the degree to which a quarterback contributed to scoring points for the team, and also to a win by the team. For example, completing a pass to earn a first down at the quarterback's own 20-yard-line with 30 seconds left in the game is unlikely to lead to any points for his team, but if they are already leading it increases the probability of winning, as it usually enables the leading team to run out the clock. This second criterion is quantified using a "win probability" function which ESPN developed by analyzing data for each play of NFL games over the previous decade.

The computation requires an examination of each play in which the quarterback was involved. For each play, the change in the expected value of the points scored by the two teams is determined along with the maximum possible change in points for each team. The net points gained by the offense on the play are divided between the players involved in the play based on how much each contributed to the points gained or lost. For example, on a play where the quarterback immediately hands the ball off to a running back after the snap, the quarterback's contribution is negligible. On passing plays the quarterback is likely to have a major contribution, along with the blockers and the receiver. The resulting value is compared to the maximum possible net point gain, and this comparison leads to a "net points percentage" value between 0 and 100 for the quarterback on each play which roughly represents the percentage of the possible point gain that the quarterback produced. This value is transformed so that a value of 50 represents the average net point gain of an NFL quarterback on the play.

The win probability function is then used to compute a "clutch index" for each play ranging from 0.3 to 3.0, with higher values corresponding to plays that have a greater influence on winning or losing the game. The QBR is obtained by taking the weighted average of the "points gained percentage" for each play, with each play having a weight equal to its clutch index. Thus the QBR has a range from 0 to 100 with 50 being considered average.[4]"

When you read the explanation, it comes down to a few things...
1) He needs to pass more and complete them.
2) The passes need to contribute to scores....i.e passes in the redzone likely count more than passes at your own 20 yard line.
3) Scores need to have him involved....i.e. a run by a running back for a TD from a hand off contributes very little to his QBR (i.e. Choice and Etienne's TD's in the last game)

Sep 23, 2017, 10:16 AM

http://www.espn.com/ncf/qbr

KB is ranked 15th right now in adjusted QBR. That takes opposing defenses into account.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_quarterback_rating

I'm not saying I like or dislike the system. But the goal is to factor in everything a QB does, how he does it, when he does it, and whether it was likely to score points for his team. It includes obvious numbers like yardage and touchdowns, but also includes things like how far a pass went through the air (for instance, the QB won't get much credit for a jet sweep that goes 80 yards, but will get tons of credit for a 60-yd bomb, thrown under pressure), whether he was under pressure, how much he runs, how many sacks he takes, etc.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2017, 10:16 AM

Basketball played on a football field = high QBR; NCs. Kelly ranked 15, Lamar 18.

This is how it is calculated

Sep 23, 2017, 10:19 AM

https://brucey.net/nflab/statistics/qb_rating.html

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic