Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For all the people worried about DW4's comments
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

For all the people worried about DW4's comments

Aug 18, 2016, 4:11 PM

Educate yourself. Read the ENTIRE bleacherreport article and you'll realize that what he said is not harmful in any way. In fact, it's VERY well thought out and delivered. You people are worried about it going to his head, but there's a comment he makes in the article that proves that he's a genuine, smart guy.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2657066-deshaun-watson-hates-dual-threat-qb-code-word-wants-to-be-face-of-cfb

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i don't love that he made it about his race

Aug 18, 2016, 4:14 PM

But he was mostly referring to himself. He points out Mariota and Tebow as getting the stereotype "Dual-Threat" term. He knows he's a TRUE dual threat, but he is worried that the term translates to "run-first" with NFL scouts

Re: i don't love that he made it about his race

Aug 18, 2016, 4:46 PM

Who made it about race? DW or the reporter? I certainly don't think DW was pushing that to be about race...he simply answered a reporter's leading question.

they asked him about racial profiling too

Aug 18, 2016, 8:35 PM

and he said he has never experienced it. He was given the opportunity to make a racial statement and he didn't, because he is a great kid and does the right things in life.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree - it is about the NFL Draft 100% - and done well IMO***

Aug 18, 2016, 5:49 PM [ in reply to i don't love that he made it about his race ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OK - I read it

Aug 18, 2016, 4:36 PM

and the entire interview does put it into better context. But, as others have said on other threads, I think he's a bit confused in his logic.

* If it's because someone is a black QB that he thinks people believe he would be a run-first QB (therefore dual threat), I can see that he would want to climb over the stereotype, which may exist in his head or maybe in reality - I'm not sure, but it doesn't in mine.

* If it's because someone is a black athlete who happens to play QB (almost the same as above if the passing skills aren't great), I can understand the use of "dual threat", but it's more likely to be true without great passing skills, but with good running skills. Whether black or white, any such QB (average in both skills) is unlikely to get very far.

* Calling a black QB "dual threat" because he's athletic enough to also run the ball well is not the same as assuming that a QB is black because he's referred to as "dual threat". Though nuanced, those are very different sets of circumstances.

Deshaun is the ultimate dual threat QB - like it or not - but he is not a run-first QB unless it's a called play. I think what he's saying is that some stereotype black athletes who happen to play QB as dual threat and he thinks he's better than that. If so, I agree with him.

Whatever - he's the best QB I've seen in my 72 years on Earth and while what he said could have been said slightly differently and while I wish it hadn't been said - I'm not going to think badly of him for it...... just hope he moves on from it.

Re: OK - I read it

Aug 18, 2016, 4:43 PM

You must be white. Smh.

Aug 18, 2016, 4:49 PM [ in reply to OK - I read it ]

he's not confused at all. typically, fairly or unfairly, that has been the first label that has come to mind. and to deny it is ridiculous. he has no reason to move away from anything. you can say manziel or tebow, but then name 25 black qb's with that label

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Aug 18, 2016, 5:03 PM

Yes, there are more black QBs with the label, but I think it's because black QBs are often (more often?) better overall athletes than white QBs. It doesn't mean they are better QBs - and I think that may be at the heart of what Deshaun was saying - it just didn't come out that way. He wants to be known as a great QB (which he is) but if he's trying to change the label to influence his draft prospects - he doesn't need to do it. If he just keeps playing the way he has, he'll redefine the term "complete QB".

more like athletic Black QB's are encouraged to run by coaches...

Aug 18, 2016, 5:53 PM

while athletic white QB's aren't encouraged nearly as much by their coaches.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not if they have bricks for feet.......***

Aug 18, 2016, 5:56 PM

I stated "athletic", so "bricks for feet" doesn't fit in that criteria***

Aug 18, 2016, 5:59 PM

But you didn't attribute those qualities to the white QBs...***

Aug 18, 2016, 6:03 PM

I also stated "athletic White QB's", learn how to read***

Aug 18, 2016, 7:52 PM

Nice change - donorship give you that opportunity?***

Aug 18, 2016, 8:20 PM

Why would anyone worry?***

Aug 18, 2016, 4:39 PM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

exactly!!!

Aug 18, 2016, 4:41 PM

who cares????????

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Re: Why would anyone worry?***

Aug 18, 2016, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Why would anyone worry?*** ]

The giant herd of very old racially tone-deaf white guys who convene this site are all probably pretty confused about the article right about now.

i don't think anyone is too worried

Aug 18, 2016, 5:06 PM [ in reply to Why would anyone worry?*** ]

I'm certainly not. But I saw a few comments that were like "oh I'm sure he's still the same guy!" As if to imply this interview even remotely seems arrogant ???

Ironic: Tebow is only one that actually can't throw it.***

Aug 18, 2016, 4:50 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The kid is wise beyond his years....period. I'm glad

Aug 18, 2016, 5:03 PM

I will be able to say I saw him play at Clemson. We're witnessing greatest on and off the field.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TL4Heisman

Whaddya mean, "you people"??

Aug 18, 2016, 5:46 PM

kidding...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For all the people worried about DW4's comments

Aug 18, 2016, 5:55 PM

All the people complaining the most are clearly just closet-racists making knee-jerk reactions to the headlines. :D

a lot posters on here will just read the headline and regurgitate...

Aug 18, 2016, 5:56 PM

the vitriol they are indoctrinated with on talk radio

While some will regurgitate every politically correct line,

Aug 18, 2016, 6:00 PM

all the while believing that they are intellectually superior..... :)

Re: For all the people worried about DW4's comments

Aug 18, 2016, 8:11 PM

Ok, so I will admit, when I hear the term Dual Threat, I generally think of a 60% ish passer with great wheels. Dosn't matter black or white. However the spread offense and the style of which the game is now played has allowed more and more DT guys to prosper. Chad Kelly, DT. Marcus Marriotta DT. CAm Newton DT. Mike Vick, DT(well, sorta could pass). Know who I think may have been the greateat Dual Threat QB ever? Steve Young. However, guys like Young and now Watson are really solid passers, with DW4 improving constantly, and would thrive in any offense. Wanna line up in pro set? No problem i believe. Wanna run option? Easy. DW4 is just a total threat.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Watson is 100% on it. He said nothing wrong.

Aug 19, 2016, 1:57 AM

Dude is a class act and also nailed it. People are too sensitive.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic