Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
O-line recruiting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

O-line recruiting

Dec 14, 2018, 12:59 PM

if you track recruiting consistently, you understand that we have struggled to recruit o-line talent to the level of other positions on our team. Our struggles there are especially curious when you consider our massive success over the last 4-5 years. We've only lost about 4 games in about 4 years or so, we're underway on our 4th consecutive playoff appearance, on the heels of our 4th consecutive ACC Championship. So, why the struggles? Now, this isn't to say we've been terrible. We've signed Hyatt, Simpson, Bockhorst, Carman, Anchrum, and a couple others who were great to solid recruits. Look at alabama and UGA--recruiting several great o-linemen each year. We need a different strategy, cuz the one we currently employ isn't bringing the desired results.
Maybe we can expand the board to include more players, with an emphasis on expanding our reach geographically, taking advantage of our brand right now. Maybe we can "team recruit" more, because some recruiters on the coaching staff are just naturally better than others. Maybe we can get involved with prospects at a younger age earlier on in the process--Like if Coach Swinney can get involved earlier on in the process with prospects who show promise at a young age, then we may have a better chance (especially since he's one of, if not our best recruiter). this "team recruiting" strategy may also be beneficial for us to so have a better chance of conveying to prospects our culture here and personalities that we have on the coaching staff. just a few ideas...But it's clear we have struggled some. Meanwhile, we're bringing in 4* and 5* talents and QB, RB, WR, TE, DL, LB, DB (though DB has some holes at times).

and in closing, i anticipate some on the board will go on and on about how "stars don't matter in recruiting"----spare me that terrible argument (all of the playoff teams this year would disagree with you, as all 4 have rosters composed of 50% or more blue chip players (meaning 4* or higher)). and i also anticipate some of you (a lot of the same ones lol) saying that the coaches "know better". i don't doubt they know soooo much more than me about football. but, it's just some postive constructive ideas that might could help our efforts. don't take it the wrong way.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like the four team playoff format.

Dec 14, 2018, 1:00 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: I like the four team playoff format.

Dec 14, 2018, 1:38 PM

Me too...

Re: O-line recruiting

Dec 14, 2018, 1:03 PM

Thank goodness someone finally started a thread about OL recruiting.

In closing, another thread about OL recruiting

LOL...it's a trend

Dec 14, 2018, 1:07 PM

As soon as a topic drops to where you need to scroll, a new thread starts on the same topic. Some can't hardly post unless they start a thread...ain't that right, JHop?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: LOL...it's a trend

Dec 14, 2018, 1:10 PM

nah man, I started a new thread cuz mines better and different...I promise! Everybody needs their own threads, right?! it's so much fun

Dec 14, 2018, 1:07 PM [ in reply to Re: O-line recruiting ]

well, I guess if I didn't have a life and was on here ALL THE TIME, I would've seen those other o-line posts, but...….I'm not.

Dec 14, 2018, 1:37 PM

You aren't getting away with it that easy. Every 6th post is someone complaining about o-line recruiting whether this is your first visit to the site or you live on it. Nice try though.

Dec 14, 2018, 1:47 PM

yeah, so, a couple things: 1) it's not complaining, it's constructive---learn that. 2) YOU CLICKED on this post, like, nobody forced your hand on the 'ole mouse pad and made you click on it. I mean, the time it took for you to read my post (which I doubt you did), and respond tells me you ain't really THAT bothered by another o-line post. how about actually reading what I posted--I specifically explained that this wasn't complaining, and I also warned of crazies like you who get their panties in a wad when someone dares so have some constructive criticism.

Pretty sure he's just playing

Dec 14, 2018, 7:37 PM [ in reply to Re: O-line recruiting ]

Some sweet, sarcastic Muziq!

next year we are looking good, I would like to see a couple

Dec 14, 2018, 1:10 PM

more added this year.

A lot of the best OL's develop from 3 star status anyway. Scouting them and projecting how they will develop is the difficult part. Hopefully we will add a couple 3 stars this year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TL; DR***

Dec 14, 2018, 1:23 PM

Bigger board

Dec 14, 2018, 1:39 PM

Our recruiting strategy for pretty much every position group is to start with a small board, lock in on our primary targets, and then move on to 2nd and 3rd options if we miss. This has worked great for WR and QB, really well for D-line, LB and corner, and poorly for O-line, RB (ETN and Lyn-J were 3rd or 4th options that turned out great), and Safety.

From what I've read, it sounds like the coaches are starting to learn (starting with this 2020 class) that we need to start with a bigger board. We've gotten involved with more guys earlier on and are willing to take commitments from guys who might be option 2 on the board.

High school O-linemen develop so late it's tough to evaluate them early on - which is why our coaching staff would prefer to wait to hand out offers. But they're starting to see that if you wait to long, you miss your opportunity.

Re: Bigger board

Dec 14, 2018, 5:53 PM

Our coaches are starting to learn? LMAO. Yeah, ok...... You honestly don't think they know what they're doing?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bigger board

Dec 14, 2018, 7:01 PM

That doesn't mean that they haven't badly misjudged where they've stood with recruits over the last few cycles. A lot of time was spent on Webb because they felt they were really in it when we didn't even get an in home. Kind of the same story with Moore this year and Salyer last class. A guy like Gwyn would have been a decent pickup last class with upside after it became pretty clear for several months that Salyer was going to UGA. We should be going after Darius Washington right now but it doesn't really seem like we are. He's looking around and probably not signing next week so maybe we can make a move. The same deal is true for Tristan Miller who just decommitted from NC State. He could be following the OL coach to Louisville but our coaches should at least put out feelers.

We've been presumptive leaders for a bunch of talented guys over the last couple of classes at early points in the recruitment and have by and large been unable to close. Carman was a great pickup but for a while they didn't look like they were pursuing all that hard because it seemed like a long shot. It took Dabo heaving up a recruiting hail Mary at the 11th hour to get him as it was.

Dec 14, 2018, 2:07 PM

Glad that someone finally pointed out our struggles with o-line recruiting. I was getting worried there for a little while that I was the only one concerned. I’ll sleep much better tonight.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2018, 2:44 PM

Oh noooo, CUtimes2® with the R has a paper bag over his head, could he be the TD bandit;) ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2018, 2:40 PM

I see that you already have someone with a different opinion of yours, and they have chose to just TD your post bc they didn't have the Nuts or the intelligence to explain why your opinion was so wrong, and why. Their ignorant's takes the path of the TD without a name or balls. It's hard to imagine somebody that just goes along and TD's a post to have an opinion of their own when they just TD and move along to the next post they can TD that has constructive criticism that they know nothing about. It does make me wonder if they are as quick to TU a post that talks about how much Dabo is loved, bc he is actually, and there are a lot of post stating that fact!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2018, 3:09 PM

Good ideas. Why do so many folks on here object to fans who want our team to be the best - not second best. We can always be as good, or better, than Alabama if we respectfully fight and work for it.

Dec 14, 2018, 5:36 PM

exactly. and if anything, it would seem the people who not only bring up constructive criticisms, but ALSO offer potential solutions, care a lot about the program. I never have understood why people get offended over trying to get better. Best is the standard.

I don't know for sure, but

Dec 14, 2018, 7:41 PM

For whatever reason, fans seem to be experts at offering solutions to coaches, yet I have no expectations the staff would offer advice to surgeons, accountants, physicists, or Coot McDonald's fry cooks. I could be wrong, though...

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic