Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
O-Line recruiting for you dummies
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

O-Line recruiting for you dummies

Dec 11, 2018, 9:38 AM

We have all heard a bunch of you #### clowns biatching daily about O-Line recruiting. Yes, we have missed out on some big time targets, but we definitely haven't been slouches when it comes to O-Line recruiting over the years.

Nearly every O-line recruit that we have gotten over the last few years has had offers from the big time programs throughout the country. We haven't landed many of the can't miss 5*s, but our recruits are no slouches.

Blake Vinson: Offers include Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Ole Miss, VT, WVU, and SCAR

Matt Bockhorst: Offers include Michigan, Mich St, Penn St, Boston College, Duke, Northwestern, and Maryland

Noah Dehond: Offers include Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Miami, Wisconsin, VT, and UCLA

Jackson Carmen: Number 1 OT in the country. Had offers from coast to coast. Enough said

Jordan McFadden: Offers include Michigan St, Mississippi St, NC State, Indiana, and VT

Hunter Rayburn: Offers Include Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M, Florida, Ole Miss, Nebraska, Florida St

Really crossing my fingers that we get Putnam. We need at least 2 more O-Lineman this cycle.

2020 (Already have 3 commits)

Paul Tchio: Offers include Alabama, Florida St, Ohio St, Georgia and Florida

Walter Parks: Kentucky, Notre Dame, Louisville, Tennessee, Vandy, VT

John Williams: Wisconsin, Ole Miss, NC State, Tennessee, Maryland

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: O-Line recruiting for you dummies

Dec 11, 2018, 9:53 AM

None of this matter because........ well..... stars

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2018, 9:56 AM

Yes but depth and 2021 and Caldwell and grayshirts and walk-ons and Georgia and stuff .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Dec 11, 2018, 9:57 AM

You forgot to mention that Hyatt and Carman were flukes and lucky gets that won't happen again.

And another thing....

Dec 11, 2018, 10:03 AM [ in reply to Re: O-Line recruiting for you dummies ]

Calling people names might further hurt our OL recruiting. What if they see your poast ... and reconsider cause you're so mean ? Ever thank of that ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: And another thing....

Dec 11, 2018, 10:05 AM

Doesn't matter. If o-linemen aren't tough enough to be called names then they aren't tough enough to block Bama.

we can't block bama

Dec 11, 2018, 10:09 AM

we are doomed

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: we can't block bama

Dec 11, 2018, 10:11 AM

I've heard they have hydraulics mounted to steel frames ... under their jersey pants .

Bob tolt me .

DB23

Dec 11, 2018, 10:40 AM

He would know what's under their pants.

^^^RA'd you bozos for personal attacks***

Dec 11, 2018, 12:47 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Dec 11, 2018, 12:47 PM [ in reply to Re: we can't block bama ]

phrasing ; )

The concerning part isn't so much who we've missed on

Dec 11, 2018, 10:15 AM

or the star ratings of the guys that we've signed, it's more that we've only signed/have committed 6 guys in the 2017-2019 cycles. We really need a couple more OL in this class, and it would obviously be a great boon if any of them could contribute by 2020.

Re: The concerning part isn't so much who we've missed on

Dec 11, 2018, 10:55 AM

OP complains about complainers and then posts this within their complaint about the complainers: "Really crossing my fingers that we get Putnam. We need at least 2 more O-Lineman this cycle."

Half of the posts on this board are just people jumping up on soap boxes about the stupidest things when many folks just want to have a candid discussion about our team - good and bad. Most true Tiger fans understand we are in the golden age, but there's a reason most of the intelligent football conversations are on other websites.

Dec 11, 2018, 11:11 AM

Reading comprehension obviously isn't your strong suit. Please show where I was complaining about complainers. Just pointing out facts.

Also because I think we have done a pretty good job recruiting OL, I can't "cross my fingers" that we get Putnam? And I can't hope that we get 2 more OL in this cycle? Not sure what point you are trying to make, but you still sound stupid.

Just pointing out that even though Georgia and others have beaten us on some recruits, we have also beaten them out for others.

Do I hope that we sign top tier O-Line classes every year? Sure I do, but I'm also not calling for coaches to be fired, etc.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NM

Dec 11, 2018, 12:31 PM

NM

Dec 11, 2018, 12:38 PM [ in reply to Re: The concerning part isn't so much who we've missed on ]

What are those other websites? Asking for a friend... ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2018, 5:39 PM [ in reply to Re: The concerning part isn't so much who we've missed on ]

That you , Robert ?

DB23

THIS!

Dec 11, 2018, 9:42 PM [ in reply to Re: The concerning part isn't so much who we've missed on ]

Well said!

Dec 11, 2018, 10:48 AM

So to sum it up.... Clemson doesn’t develop above average high school Olinemen into NFL prospects very often. As such this is used by others to recruit against us and the cycle perpetuates itself each year. How do we get off this merry-go-round?

Dec 11, 2018, 10:50 AM

Our numbers in the NFL are slowly growing.

Yes it is used.

If the current trend continues of getting about 1 more per year to reach the NFL and add in a few draft picks from the top few rounds it won't be nearly as effective in recruiting against us.

Dec 11, 2018, 12:06 PM

Recruiting 101 - not everyone you want, you get.

Coaching 101 - making the players you have the best they can be

To all the naysayers, stop whinning!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed, we have way too much whinning on the Tiger Bored(s)***

Dec 11, 2018, 12:46 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Dec 11, 2018, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Re: O-Line recruiting for you dummies ]

I like this logic... Progress not perfection. We are adding NFL talent each season to almost every position.

Each year we do add approx. 1 more (Clemson Alum) NFL player.... to our NFL level output.

*Someone work up the algorithm to that. (X + Y + Dabo + BYOG + Wait your turn + Clemson = More NFL Talent)

Also, Taylor Hearn is currently playing on the Panthers OLine... (check)

Also, Mitch win 100% be picked up and on someone's NFL team. (Check)

-Time and patience friends... Time and Patience

Dec 11, 2018, 12:14 PM

The issue, at least for me, isn’t the stars it’s the quantity.

You said yourself “I really hope we get Putnam and 2 more OL in this class” because you know the same thing is true.

Signing 8 OL over a 3 year period (assumed close of Putnam and 1 more) isn’t enough numbers at the position.

Dec 11, 2018, 12:51 PM

There are only 85 scholarships allowed for football and they have all be full rides (no partial scholarships for football). Currently, 16 of those are allotted for the current O-Line. Two of those are Seniors and will definitely be gone leaving 14 on scholarship. It looks like there are going to be 7 senior OL next year. Just where do you give up recruiting to get extra OL this year? I guess we don't need to replace all those leaving. If the Tigers can continue to get 3 or 4 quality OL per year, they will be good going forward.

Scholarships By Position:

DT - 6. LB - 12
DE - 12. DB - 11

OL - 16. QB - 2
WR - 13. RB - 5
TE - 6. P/K - 3

Dec 11, 2018, 12:55 PM

I didn't go through and count, but I think Batson got put on scholarship at QB, we have 4 P/K on scholarship (Huegel, Potter, Spence, Spiers), and who is the 5th RB on scholarship?

Dec 11, 2018, 1:26 PM

Rencher (RB) got put on scholarship before the season.

Dec 11, 2018, 5:46 PM [ in reply to Re: O-Line recruiting for you dummies ]

I’d take 1 less TE and 1 less K to take 2 more OL and keep 10 DE’s and take the extra 2 to have 8 DT’s

Dec 11, 2018, 1:00 PM

THIS ***

I might add

1 Dabo will not oversign ( something the ncaa needs to fix ), making numbers harder to manage.

2 Dabo won't offer to a kid who is just a great player. He expects more.

3 Some years there are fewer good players available in any number of positions.

4 Our coaches do a tremendous job maximizing a players abilities.

5 Coaches know a bit more than I do.

6 You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Dec 11, 2018, 2:09 PM

OL is the hardest position to project for in recruiting. These kids are not fully developed in high school and nobody knows for sure how much a 17 or 18 year old is going to grow. Sometimes they don’t continue to grow and other times they grow too much. That’s why it’s not uncommon to convert tightends and defensive lineman to the OL because some of them continue to grow and basically become to large/slow to be effective in their previous position.

Dec 11, 2018, 2:36 PM

They all cant be the Bostic Brothers .

this is the part that's frustrating. we don't necessarily

Dec 11, 2018, 9:10 PM [ in reply to Re: O-Line recruiting for you dummies ]

Need a bunch of 5 stars at OL. A bunch of solid 3 star guys will do the trick. I have been saying for the last few years we need to use 2-3 more scholarships for the OL. It's a slow developing position group and it would be great to have more depth here.

We certainly need to get 3 or 4 guys in this class. I think that's what most people are concerned with. it's not all about the too guys. We just need more.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic