Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
November 22, 1980, the first time Clemson wore
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

November 22, 1980, the first time Clemson wore

Nov 5, 2018, 7:22 PM

Orange pants. I was at that game, working for Crowe security, standing close to the top of the old west end zone stands. Clemson was able to spank a George Rogers led usuc team 27-6, on two interceptions by Willie Underwood!! What a great way to start the 'lore' of the sacred Orange pants!!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: November 22, 1980, the first time Clemson wore

Nov 5, 2018, 7:24 PM

I was there. It was my 21st Birthday.

Nov 5, 2018, 7:34 PM
underwood.jpg(188.2 K)

I was there too !!!!!!!!!!!! When Underwood intercepted the pass and ran it back for a TD, I jumped up and hit the bottom of the "old scoreboard" behind the metal bleachers, knocking my drunk azzzzzzzz to the asphalt -- ask my buddy if he scored ?? yes,yes, he said !!!!!!!! _______ didn't feel the pain,till the next morning -- GO TIGERS !!!!!!!!!!

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2016/11/25/the-story-behind-the-orange-pants/

Nov 5, 2018, 7:43 PM

I will never forget when the Tigers were at the top of the hill and everyone saw the orange britches. The roar coming down the Hill was the loudest I could remember. We knew were going to beat the chickens.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here

Nov 5, 2018, 7:29 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuVqJyLUw-A&t=221s

some interesting screen captures...

Nov 5, 2018, 9:40 PM

There were some really interesting and telling screen captures in this game!

Coot mascot.

Coot hat.

And the original TV Coots flipping the bird!

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: some interesting screen captures...

Nov 5, 2018, 10:32 PM

coot mascot, looks like the Sesame Street producers droppped acid and made that suit.

Gamecock fans saying they're number one at 1:30:50.

Nov 5, 2018, 10:02 PM [ in reply to Here ]

Some things never change.

Re: Here

Nov 6, 2018, 12:02 AM [ in reply to Here ]

thank you for sharing this.

Nov 6, 2018, 6:21 AM [ in reply to Here ]

Forget balloons we need to bring back the helmet car. Seen @ 0.32 sec

Now that’s how to run down the hill. Not like that today...

Nov 6, 2018, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Here ]

Also loved the helmet golf cart

Nov 6, 2018, 3:17 PM [ in reply to Here ]

Great memory, thank you.

I remember outplaying them through the half but getting no separation.

Then WIllie's first INT put is on their 24. After a short drive we were 3d and 1 on the one. Next play McCall was definitely in the end zone, but called down at one foot, and though the cluckers were called for a PF, the refs only moved us inchs closer to hte goal line we had already crossed, yet dod not give us a forst down as the rules required.

The Homer called a sneak between center and right guard and again clearly scored. No signal from the refs. I just watched it again but still remember it vividly thinking the refs werre going to let the cluckers rough Homer up iin the scrum and maybe push him back out. I think about 10 seconds passed with no signal yea or nay, and I was sure the refs were goung to screw us for the third time in two plays. Us fans in that side were furious. Then finally the back judge signaled touchdown. Then Harper threw the INT TD to Willie and the rout was on.

Since there was a bunch of yapping in the press and some alumni that Danny would be fired the next week, it was clearly a turning point pointing directly to the Clemson we are now. I remember Danny said in his presser "y'all can take your rumors and stuff them."

Nov 5, 2018, 7:31 PM

Hate to say I missed that game. Was living in Florida and just couldn’t drive 2 weekends in a row. That was the year SC was going to be in the Gator Bowl. So a radio station in Jacksonville carried the game with Bob Fulton calling as advertising to sell tickets to the game. I was about 75 miles from Jacksonville and could barely hear the game thru the static of am radio. But of course loved it. Had to hold the antenna just so to get the signal. Obviously no internet then. ESPN played 2 or 3 college game repeats weekly. Just wish I could have heard JP instead of Fulton. Have to say he did sound sick after the 2nd int by Willie Underwood.

I was sitting on the hill.the thing that separates that

Nov 5, 2018, 7:34 PM

from all other uniform props is ,the team came out to warm up in white pants,but after they when to the locker room they came down the hill wearing those orange pants,The crowd went wild. That was the 1st uniform gimmick that I know of anywhere.long before Oregon or Maryland. I truly believe that gave us the edge.Coots were heavily favored

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly right. We started it. My brother in law still hates

Nov 5, 2018, 7:46 PM

it......

I was there....were you? Raise your hand if you were.......***

Nov 5, 2018, 7:45 PM

I was there Spud***

Nov 5, 2018, 7:49 PM

Re: I was there Spud***

Nov 5, 2018, 8:03 PM

I was there. Very fun day!

Re: I was there....were you? Raise your hand if you were.......***

Nov 5, 2018, 8:18 PM [ in reply to I was there....were you? Raise your hand if you were.......*** ]

Right in the middle of the student section!

I was there on the hill. Sophomore at Clemson.

Nov 5, 2018, 8:19 PM [ in reply to I was there....were you? Raise your hand if you were.......*** ]

I never and I mean never have seen a Clemson stadium erupt like that. Turned to my girlfriend and said, “ We are going to kill them”. She said they were better than us. Took her home after the game and never saw her again.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good call. Is she in this pic?

Nov 6, 2018, 9:50 AM
GCockKlass.jpg(168.6 K)

Re: Good call. Is she in this pic?

Nov 6, 2018, 4:01 PM

That image makes me sad... there are young coot kids in that image and you just know that they are not being shown a proper path. Soon that behavior will be considered "normal" to them.

Nov 5, 2018, 8:30 PM [ in reply to I was there....were you? Raise your hand if you were.......*** ]

I was there sitting in the same seat I have occupied since 1957 0r 1958.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was born in '58..............***

Nov 6, 2018, 9:51 AM

Nov 5, 2018, 8:50 PM [ in reply to I was there....were you? Raise your hand if you were.......*** ]

I was a freshman that year. This is one of my top five favorite games. Awesome day. The second pass that Underwood intercepted and returned for a TD was a thing of beauty.

Raising hand!***

Nov 5, 2018, 9:33 PM [ in reply to I was there....were you? Raise your hand if you were.......*** ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I was. My senior year in high school***

Nov 5, 2018, 9:46 PM [ in reply to I was there....were you? Raise your hand if you were.......*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

1st row of the upper deck...

Nov 6, 2018, 9:55 AM [ in reply to I was there....were you? Raise your hand if you were.......*** ]

Underwood's first interception I almost went over the rail when I jumped...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

D*mn straight I was there...

Nov 6, 2018, 9:59 AM [ in reply to I was there....were you? Raise your hand if you were.......*** ]

Even bought a bumper sticker from a Clemson student -

It showed a chicken sitting on a toilet and the caption said

Ever Seen a Chicken Shiite?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 6, 2018, 1:06 PM [ in reply to I was there....were you? Raise your hand if you were.......*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 6, 2018, 1:14 PM [ in reply to I was there....were you? Raise your hand if you were.......*** ]

Yep was there too. There was a popular TV show on at that time called "Dallas". The show that aired that Friday night revealed who shot JR. The whole coot team broke curfew and stayed up to find out if a gamecock shot JR.

Nov 5, 2018, 8:03 PM

Who was the USC person that saw the pants and was held captive until we ran down the hill?

Nov 5, 2018, 9:16 PM

I was sitting on the Hill and still wish I had a copy of the program. It had a Picture of a coot in a 38 jersey. It ws asking the Tiger "We have a loaded 38 but what is an Automatic African" with a caricature of Obed Ariri winding up to kick the Fowl. Underwood would have scored another TD but Rodgers ran him down. Great game.

Nov 5, 2018, 9:56 PM

I was 12 years old, sitting in section UL, row L, seat 5. Part of the visitors section was in Section L right below us. Coot fans would always come through the portal and start walking up the steps in UL and people would start yelling "You're in the wrong section! Go to L!"

Interesting that there was no emphasis back then on fans

Nov 6, 2018, 12:04 AM

wearing orange.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 6, 2018, 12:55 AM

I was there too! Right there with you all. Sophomore sitting in the Student section. Like the majority here, as soon as I saw the Orange Pants, I was first confused (Jack Daniel's likely enhanced that feeling) and then I, with the rest of the crowd, busted loose with the Noise! Listening to Jim Phillip's on a transistor radio , (said Van Morrison). Whew we students had lot of faith in Ford and that team then regardless of the pants. We worked so #### hard for that 81 win over Nebraska; after a year of ACC purported infractions, and the crap with ABC during that very close game against UNC - fortunate to be there as well, but stressed. Orange Pants at Nebraska too. From clemsontigets.com regarding the USsuck Game:

"To surprise the fans, Ford asked his players to put their thigh pads in their orange pants and to wear their orange jerseys with their white pants for pregame warmups. With the thigh pads already in place, it would make the transition of changing the pants faster when they returned to the lockerroom."

Go Tigers !!!

I was there. Top left behind the handicapped seating, under

Nov 6, 2018, 6:07 AM

the oak that they took down. Willie was running straight at me for the 1st pick six.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was there! Back then teams didn't change

Nov 6, 2018, 6:36 AM

Uniforms each week so it was pretty unheard of.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This game is always referred to as "The Willie Underwood

Nov 6, 2018, 7:43 AM

Game." Also, not too much of a stretch to think of it as the game that saved Danny Ford's job. At 5-5 going into that game, the "3 yards and a cloud of dust" offense was generating a lot of grumbling at the time. Trouncing the highly favored Cawks silenced that talk for awhile, and some pretty good stuff happened the next year, as I recall. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 6, 2018, 9:00 AM

I remember it well. It was the first year we got season tickets and they were at the top row of the upper deck. Being 15 years old a friend and I decided it would be more fun on the hill so that was where we sat. All the buzz at that time was whether Danny would get fired or not and not many thought we had a chance in the game. Certainly one of the most important victories in Clemson history if you consider the natty probably doesn't happen if we lost that game. However, the mystique of the orange pants was lost over the years when started breaking them out in meaningless games where we often lost.

ummm, W.T.F.?***

Nov 6, 2018, 9:29 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Even Colonel Sanders would reject that thing.***

Nov 6, 2018, 4:05 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Nov 6, 2018, 9:36 AM

Fun fact, I work with Garry Harper. He was the USC QB during the 1980 game. Really cool guy. He's one of my top vendors.

Nov 6, 2018, 10:05 AM

My freshman year. Had just turned 18. For those too young, 18 was the drinking age. Dad was in the textile business and had heard rumors about the orange pants. He told me before the game they might be wearing them.

Thanks for the great memory!

Nov 6, 2018, 1:40 PM

Does anyone remember the play where USuc had their first kickoff and their kicker would always keep his head down for a long time after the kick? We came in a clocked him good. He didn’t keep his head down after that. It seems everyone in the stadium knew it was coming except their kicker.

Nov 6, 2018, 5:06 PM

Very dazed and confusas by gametime in those years but remembering being on the Hill and the game clds has a DB return Man from Rock Hill named Harris of whom we broke his ankel on the opening kick off. same game or no? He went on yo play for the Pats.
A

WOW

Nov 6, 2018, 5:47 PM

That was back in the day when the Tigers needed gimmicks to win! Now we do it on skill talent and great coaching

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic