Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Notre Dame is 120th in the country in rushing D...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Notre Dame is 120th in the country in rushing D...

Sep 18, 2019, 8:21 PM

...and they are going into Georgia.

Yeesh.

Say what you want about the Dawgs, they can run the football. That O-line of theirs is immense, and D'Andre Swift is maybe the only RB in the country who can legitimately challenge Travis Etienne as the best RB in America.

I'm not 100% sold Zeus White is completely over those back-to-back ACL tears, but he's rushed 19 times for 141 (7.4ypc) himself, which is distinctly not bad, and the Dawgs do go 4-5 guys deep in quality RB besides Swift and White. So they have a stable.

I'm not wildly excited about Jake Fromm - I think he's more a game-manager and Pretty Good QB, more in the mold of the old QB's Saban had at Alabama prior to Jalen Hurts and Tua - and his WR's are no better than middlin' decent (and very inexperienced), but if you play UGA you'd better be able to stuff the run. Because they are going to bring it.

But Notre Dame...they gave up 266 on the ground in the opener to lowly Louisville, and then followed that by allowing another 212 on the ground to even lowlier New Mexico. That is not encouraging when you run into the nation's most overwhelming and single-minded rushing attack.

Can ND even compete in this one? I'd love to see it just because I really, really don't like UGA but I'm not sold.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Notre Dame is 120th in the country in rushing D...

Sep 18, 2019, 8:34 PM

Wow! Didn't know that. I need to go back and edit some post I have made today for certain. I will give them a slight pass against Louisville on the grounds they didn't know what Louisville would look like under Satterfield and it was the 1st game of the season.
New Mexico - no excuses! But, it looks like they got a bunch of those yards after the score was 38-7 Irish.
Don't get me wrong! That's a huge red-flag. But, in my mind, the who are these bums effect may have been on in those games! Louisville was miserable l.y. Who is New Mexico as it pertains to college football? And, "you have to play with aggressive intensity if you hope to stop the run"!
I think the college football world see's a different defense come Saturday!
If not, they will get absolutely throttled!

My suspicion is they will defend the run much better though!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I sure hope so. Jawga fans going to notch up the hype if

Sep 18, 2019, 9:04 PM

they win.........which means more mouthy mutts

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Sep 18, 2019, 9:06 PM

That game really is going to be about Georgia. If they really want to make a statement, they should be able to. They certainly have the running back and the offensive line to impose their will on Notre Dame and push them around Sanford Stadium. If the Irish make that a game, Georgia coaches and players have to be called into question. And yes I would love to see that game be a great one.

What if it takes a miracle for Georgia to win or ND wins!

Sep 18, 2019, 9:09 PM

The media hype for ND would be almost as unbearable as the SEC-ond hype. They would be hailed one of the best b/c they went into an SEC contenders stadium and beat them in prime time. A accomplishment worth celebrating I can agree on. But, the level of hype no matter who wins this game is going to be "flat sickening"!

In fact, if Clemson doesn't absolutely demolish Charlotte and Either ND or Georgia gets a convincing win. Can't you see them moving CU back? I can based on what they have done in the past. Not that it matters since they aren't the CFB committee.

If Georgia wins it will be in a convincing way. If ND wins it'll be a nail biter!

this is surprising. Their rushing defense last year was good

Sep 18, 2019, 9:13 PM

Seems like they have no choice but to pack the box

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: this is surprising. Their rushing defense last year was good

Sep 18, 2019, 9:18 PM

If I were playing Georgia that would be the game plan anyway. Fromm has shown he can get it done so I am not knocking him. But, their best players are their RB's. ND best players are their DE's who supposedly both have a shot of going 1st round in the NFL draft. I would commit to getting Georgia in 3rd and 6 or more. Make Fromm have to throw it accurately and in rythm when I know he's going to pass! He is good enough to do it mind you. But, it likely won't be to 1 of the best players they have(one of the RB's). Plus, it gives my best players on defense a chance to get at the Bulldog QB.

Sep 19, 2019, 7:23 AM

"they gave up 266 on the ground in the opener to lowly Louisville" - I totally agree with all that you said, except this part. I think UL is better than most people are giving them credit for. Petrino is gone, and this ol' Appy St coach seems to have them playing way better. Don't blink or UL might show up and play some good football. Their QB is pretty hard to defend too, and that had a lot to do with ND having issues handling them.

As I've said before about Notre Dame...

Sep 19, 2019, 8:12 AM

Nothi­ng in Brian Kelly's tenure at Notre Dame has me believing he will go into Athens and beat UGA. Brian Kelly's record at Notre Dame against top 10 teams is abysmal... Kelly's Notre Dame squads are 3-7 against top 10 teams with 2 of those 3 wins coming in 2012 (the year Alabama spanked Notre Dame in the national championship). Their only other top 10 win in the last 10 years was last year against an over-ranked Stanford team (ranked 7 at the time of the game but un-ranked by the end of the season).

Until the modern era Notre Dame establishes a record of competing and beating top tier teams, I have no confidence that the Irish are going to waltz into Athens and beat the leg humpers.

Quite frankly I don't like either team or their head coaches. Kelly is a tool and bowl cut Kirby runs around the sideline acting like a #### with fireants in his underwear. Wish they would both lose Saturday.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yawnnn

Sep 19, 2019, 8:14 AM

Don't care. Go irish

Sep 19, 2019, 8:58 AM

They have been setting a trap for the Dawg's. They are big, deep and fast on the D-Line but have purposely been holding them out baiting the trap for Georgia. UGA runs 35 times for -9 yards and Ian Book throws for 400 and 5 TD's and ND jumps everyone in the polls and vaults to #1!

Ok, I gave you a dream scenario from a ND perspective, now a little reality, UGA runs over, around and through ND to the tune of say 38 to 13 thus eliminating ND from the playoff discussion.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2019, 9:05 AM

They're going to get crushed.

I wish i had something positive to add like "yeah but

Sep 19, 2019, 10:22 AM

they've only given up 3.5 yards per carry." Alas, they've given up basically 5 yards per carry against Louisville (5.3) and New Mexico (4.6). That definitely does not bode well heading into Athens. They are really going to have to bring extra defenders into the box to try to slow down that Georgia running game, and, even if they succeed at slowing that down, Fromm will probably pick them apart.

I still think Fromm is a very good QB. He's not on the Trevor or Tua level where he can win a game against a top team by himself when his team can't run the ball, but i think he's more than just a game manager and I don't know how many teams can actually shut down UGA's running game and force Fromm to do it all by himself. Notre Dame certainly doesn't appear to be one of those teams.

Re: I wish i had something positive to add like "yeah but

Sep 19, 2019, 12:30 PM

TigersAndCubs Fromm lost his top 6 receiving targets from last year. The new guys really haven't been tested so far.
I would stack the box and make him prove he can "consistently" do it. A big play here and there I'll have to live with.
But, if I am struggling stopping the run and I am playing Georgia with all new receiving threats on the field. Yeah, the QB will have to be on point b/c I am stacking the box and making him prove it. Jamming the WR's some and playing more zone on others.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic