Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Should Spring Enrollments Be Prohibited?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Should Spring Enrollments Be Prohibited?

Sep 19, 2019, 1:59 PM

Should the NCAA not allow spring enrollments? Let the kids finish the high school experience and all. Where did this concept of bringing kids in early come from?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Should Spring Enrollments Be Prohibited?

Sep 19, 2019, 2:11 PM

Spending 5 extra months to "finish the high school experience" is not a positive thing for many kids. Any kids whose families have financial struggles or problems at home are likely very happy to keep moving forward.

Also, at that point there isn't much left in high school but to sit around and wait.

Their time is much better served getting to adapt to college life a semester before having to adjust while being in the middle of their first college football season as well.

Also, I believe I have seen where several early enrolling Clemson football players have still gone back to their senior prom and that sort of thing. So it's not like they make them totally abandon everything they are leaving behind.

Sep 19, 2019, 2:45 PM

Good point that they can go back for their Senior Prom

Sep 19, 2019, 2:47 PM

Could colleges sign 10th graders and have them finish high school at college while practicing sports?

Sep 19, 2019, 3:39 PM

Don't know, but it didn't work out for the coots and Bentley(lol)

Sep 19, 2019, 3:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Should Spring Enrollments Be Prohibited? ]

No, because 10th graders haven't graduated. Spring semester enrollees have.

Duh.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2019, 10:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Should Spring Enrollments Be Prohibited? ]

10th graders can't even sign, much less enroll in college.

Students can only sign with a certain school after a specific date set (different for different sports) in the academic year in which they will graduate.

Kids can commit whenever they choose, but nothing can be official until they reach senior status.

Nothing stops a 10th grader from going to

Sep 20, 2019, 10:11 AM

College.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Nothing stops a 10th grader from going to

Sep 20, 2019, 11:16 AM

Sure it does, the 11th and 12th grade, high school diploma/GED, etc.

I mean, sure, they can go to a College, but as far as enrolling that'd be a no go.

Sep 20, 2019, 11:33 AM

Not quite accurate. A 10th grader can take the GED and if his test scores are good enough he can apply and be admitted if the college chooses to accept them.

If you can get admitted you can go...if

Sep 20, 2019, 2:27 PM

Since dougie howser scores 1600 onthe sat and apllies.. why not?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: If you can get admitted you can go...if

Sep 20, 2019, 2:30 PM

I believe that even those child genius types who graduate at 14 are still seniors prior to graduating from high school.

Re: If you can get admitted you can go...if

Sep 20, 2019, 7:50 PM

Nope, my son was never a senior. He took the GED and went to college after jr yr. Never had any senior hours. But had a good sat

Sep 20, 2019, 3:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Nothing stops a 10th grader from going to ]

The earliest a person can take the GED is 17, provided they have been out of school for 60 consecutive days and has to provide a letter of request from the military, post-secondary education institution, or a prospective employer.

Or, you can take it if you're 17 and incarcerated in California, along with a few other requirements.

Regardless, the certificate isn't delivered until your 18th birthday.

If you're 17 in the 10th grade, something is wrong.

I don't think you understand how hs works.

Sep 20, 2019, 2:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Nothing stops a 10th grader from going to ]

You don't need years, you need credits. Even when I was in school, it was easy to graduate early. I didn't try to get through early, but I could have graduated by the 11th grade.

I only needed 1 English credit my sr year to graduate. Could have easily graduated at the end of my jr yr. If I wanted to take a couple classes over the summer, I'm sure I could have graduated by the end of 10th grade.

There are probably 10th graders at greenville tech high school... taking college classes.

Re: I don't think you understand how hs works.

Sep 20, 2019, 3:32 PM

I think I understand perfectly fine how it works, having been through it and all.

I also took AP classes in high school, passed the test for college credit. Sure, kids take the entry level classes at a tech school for college credit. There is a big difference between taking courses for credit, and actually being enrolled full time.

That said, how many 10th graders are going to have enough credits to skip two years of school? More so, what coach is going to trot out a 15-16 year old to get killed by 300 lb senior d-linemen?

Sep 20, 2019, 10:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Should Spring Enrollments Be Prohibited? ]

These early enrollees have graduated. Totally different than your question.

Exactly...

Sep 20, 2019, 10:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Should Spring Enrollments Be Prohibited? ]

I graduated high school years ago, but I still return to hang out most afternoons.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

I appreciate you thinking about the kids. I certainly

Sep 19, 2019, 3:52 PM

remember how much better my senior year of high school was than my freshman year of college.

Going from living with my parents with curfews and rules was so much better than going to college surrounded by all that freedom and beer and girls aplenty.

It's high time someone recognized this and took a stand. DO NOT DEPRIVE THESE KIDS OF THE LAST 5 MONTHS OF HIGH SCHOOL DRUDGERY!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You remember your freshman year?

Sep 20, 2019, 10:56 AM

You were doing it wrong.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

K3 should have more homework.***

Sep 20, 2019, 10:59 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2019, 12:58 PM

No

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic