Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sec no better then ACC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Sec no better then ACC

Oct 21, 2019, 11:45 AM

There’s Alabama there LSU. Then outside Of those two teams everyone else is average or just sucks. I just don’t understand the hype around the mighty sec. I guarantee Clemson would go 12-0 or 11-1 at worst in the sec.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not true, Better than ACC:

Oct 21, 2019, 11:54 AM

Auburn, UGA, and UF would be favored by 14 or more over UVA (probably ACC’s 2nd best) by Vegas on a neutral field.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not true, Better than ACC:

Oct 21, 2019, 12:12 PM

Not Georgia. Did you see them play against mighty Kentucky. Awful.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In a torrential downpour...

Oct 21, 2019, 12:20 PM

SEC is much better than the ACC. It would have 5 (maybe 6) of the top 7 teams if you combined the conferences:

Clemson
Bama
LSU
Florida
Auburn
Georgia

and even A&M would likely all be favored over the next best ACC team.

Bama, LSU, Florida, Auburn and Georgia would all be double-digit favorites against Virginia or which ever other team is the second best.

It's okay to admit the SEC is a much better conference, especially at the top. And it doesn't have any effect on whether Clemson is just as good as or better than any of those SEC teams, which we've proven in recent years, we are.

Rainfall should favor a "mighty SEC rushing team", but....

Oct 21, 2019, 7:14 PM

they couldnt cross midfield until mid 3rd qtr.....against KY.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2019, 4:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Not true, Better than ACC: ]

That's irony that I believe is lost on many here. We beat UNC by 1 point which leads to many people thinking we didn't deserve to be ranked #1, and most of our fans go crazy and claim it's not fair. Georgia beats Kentucky 21-0 and that's proof that they suck.

Oct 21, 2019, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Not true, Better than ACC: ]

You are entitled to your opinion. I don't think UVA is second best team in ACC. The rest is conjecture about Vegas. The ACC is better top to bottom which means it is more difficult to play conference games in the ACC weekly. The sec is overrated as usual. UGA couldn't even beat the coots who the 'heels beat. UGA struggled with Kentucky. Almighty bama struggled with TN at home and next plays mighty Arkansas. Look at the average score margin in sec conference games. The top rated sec teams coast in conference games and are therefore somehow great.

Line them up ACC vs. SEC and play each other

Oct 21, 2019, 12:37 PM

top to bottom and the SEC wins like 8 or 9 out of 14. It ain't rocket science.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Line them up ACC vs. SEC and play each other

Oct 21, 2019, 12:49 PM

So 1 game over .500? That doesn't sounds like a big difference to me.

Re: Line them up ACC vs. SEC and play each other

Oct 21, 2019, 3:50 PM

Neither 8-6 nor 9-5 are 1 game over .500.

it's actually not a science at all.

Oct 21, 2019, 5:20 PM [ in reply to Line them up ACC vs. SEC and play each other ]

Your opinion is fine, but it's not better than anyone else's. I too think the sec is better top to bottom, but you cant lay it out like any kind of science.

Oct 21, 2019, 5:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Not true, Better than ACC: ]

The ACC is better from top to bottom than the SEC? Would you mind breaking that down for me? Let's take a look at the top 5 SEC teams and compare that to the top 5 in the ACC. I took the top 5 based on the overall record.

SEC:
Alabama
LSU
Florida
Auburn
Georgia

ACC:
Clemson
Wake
UVA
Pitt
VT

Only the biggest hater would argue that Clemson isn't capable of beating any of the 5 SEC teams. Let's remove Clemson and Alabama and compare the next 4 teams in each conference. So let's say LSU vs. Wake, Florida vs. UVA, Auburn vs. Pitt, and Georgia vs. VT. Which of those games do you even feel the ACC has a remote chance of winning? I could maybe see UVA taking down Florida, but I wouldn't feel great about anything beyond that, and I wouldn't even pick UVA over Florida, although I think UVA would have a chance.

The bottom of the SEC isn't impressive, but the ACC doesn't currently have any comparison with the SEC in terms of teams at the top after Clemson.

An objective assessment...

Oct 21, 2019, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Not true, Better than ACC: ]

would tend to acquiesce to your appraisal IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Oct 21, 2019, 12:48 PM [ in reply to Not true, Better than ACC: ]

Vegas had the Gamecocks a 4.5 point favorite over UVA in the Belk Bowl. How did that turn out?

Betting lines are about getting even money on both team. They don't measure how much better one team is than another.

No Effin Way on UGA

Oct 21, 2019, 12:51 PM [ in reply to Not true, Better than ACC: ]

They are a bunch of spasmic Kirbies

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Florida sucks... and UGA

Oct 21, 2019, 1:08 PM [ in reply to Not true, Better than ACC: ]

Anyone trying to build that team up into some kind of powerhouse needs to get a clue. As for Jawja, I’ve seen absolutely NOTHING about them that impresses me. This mantra about this OL being better than half of the NFL is simply ridiculous. They put a GOOSE EGG up against kaintuck, one of the worst teams in the SEC, in the first half.

The SEC East is garbage compared to how they are portrayed in the sycophantic sports media.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But UGA/UF would whip UVA/Pitt, which ain’t

Oct 21, 2019, 1:17 PM

saying much.

Re: But UGA/UF would whip UVA/Pitt, which ain’t

Oct 21, 2019, 4:48 PM

UF couldnt whip a 3-4 Miami team that just lost to GT and UGA lost to a SC team that lost to UNC.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

exactly.***

Oct 21, 2019, 5:21 PM

Re: Sec no better then ACC

Oct 21, 2019, 12:31 PM

The SEC west is strongest in the country. Bama, LSU, and Auburn make it a top heavy side. SEC east wants the notoriety, but UGa can’t get over the hump with all the talent they have(coaching), Florida overrated, SCAR looking better, but this isn’t the West.

We agree to disagree.

Oct 21, 2019, 12:48 PM

ACC is Clemson and everybody else.
SEC is Alabama and LSU, then a tier down UF, UGA, Auburn - then everybody else.

I agree that our everybody else is equal to or better than their everybody else. But SEC has more non-everybody else and non-everybody else pays the bills.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree that the ACC currently has no "second tier"

Oct 21, 2019, 12:54 PM

But disagree a little on the distribution in the SEC. I would say Alabama is alone on the first tier, and that LSU and Georgia are on the second tier. Whether Florida and Auburn are second tier or "everybody else" remains to be determined.

What the ACC is missing right now is the Clemson and VT from 10 years ago, when FSU was dominating, but getting tested. I know we have lost a couple of inexplicable games, but we have not been getting tested year in, year out.

I think there may really be something to Cowherd's boredom theory.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agree that the ACC currently has no "second tier"

Oct 21, 2019, 12:59 PM

I haven't kept up with Colin this season (though I am a fan). Is the theory that the team is bored with competition? If so, then I agree 100%. There is something to that iron sharpens iron thing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We agree to disagree.

Oct 21, 2019, 1:07 PM [ in reply to We agree to disagree. ]

This is the most accurate appraisal. The SEC is better but it's not astronomically better like some argue and the ACC is average but not terrible.

The SEC's cellar dwellers are abysmal

Oct 21, 2019, 12:54 PM

I would LOVE for Clemson to have a schedule like this:

-South Carolina
-Tennessee
-Vanderbilt
-Kentucky

-Texas A&M
-Ole Miss
-Miss State
-Arkansas

I would LOVE it !!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is that worse than NC State, Miami, Cuse, GT, FSU, BC, VT...***

Oct 21, 2019, 1:00 PM

There's no real definitve way to compare conferences

Oct 21, 2019, 1:06 PM

And as much as I think the SEC gets over-rated at the beginning of the season, from the games I've watched they are much deeper at the 2nd and 3rd tier of teams. The ACC may not even have a 2nd/3rd tier.

Tier 1 Playoff Caliber - Not much separates these teams at this point
Alabama
Clemson
LSU

Tier 2 Playoff longshots
Auburn -
Florida - Yeah I know they played Miami close but that was before they found their QB.

Tier 3 - Outside top 10 - Inside top 20
Georgia - Win over ND who defeated UVA

Tier 4 Somewhere in/out of top 25
Pitt - Could be the second best team in the conference. Played PSU tough, beat a talented UCF team. Only other loss was to UVa
South Carolina - Loss to UNC with Bentley, team has played better since
Virginia
TAMU - Maybe they don't belong here but all their loses are to Tier 1 and 2 teams (Clemson, Bama, Auburn)
Wake Forest - Their schedule makes ours look like a tough one. Hard to tell what they are.

The remains of both conferences are average to below average at best. However the ACC has 1 team that's contending for a playoff spot. The SEC has 4. The ACC doesn't even have another team that really should be ranked inside the top 20.

I realize this is subjective, but if you logically think about it, Pitt or UVA is the 2nd best team in the ACC (I still don't believe in Wake) and if you ran them up against Auburn, Florida, or even UGA, they are probably double digit underdogs.

Well...

Oct 21, 2019, 1:21 PM

I got some oceanfront property in Nebraska...

Re: Well...

Oct 21, 2019, 4:38 PM

"I got some oceanfront property in Nebraska...

.....That was purchased from Kirby Smart, and now I'm trying to get rid of it"

Re: Well...

Oct 21, 2019, 4:43 PM

SeeVuPlay said:

"I got some oceanfront property in Nebraska...

.....That was purchased from Kirby Smart, and now I'm trying to get rid of it"

The property or Kirby Smart?

Oct 21, 2019, 5:06 PM

For those saying there's no difference in the conferences, what game was considered by most of our fans to be our biggest game this season?

Replace Texas A&M this season with LSU and which game would we circle as our biggest and toughest game this season? Replace them with Georgia instead, or Florida, or Auburn, and which one?

Oct 21, 2019, 5:08 PM

A lot of the hype is because the huge crowds, rivalries etc make the level of play seen more exciting and better

Coot, please stop. You are embarrassing yourself even

Oct 21, 2019, 5:17 PM

more than normal. You better hope the SEC never rescinds memberships, because there ain't no invite to rejoin the ACC waiting for you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2019, 5:24 PM

Over the last 2 seasons, the ACC is 10-19 against other P5 teams, and that includes Clemson being 4-0. That means the rest of the ACC is 6-19 against P5 teams since the start of last season. The SEC is 19-14 with Alabama being 3-1 which puts the rest of the SEC at 16-13 against other P5 conferences. One could make the argument that the SEC isn't exactly dominating the other conferences which is a fair point. However, it's hard to ignore the other ACC teams being 6-19 against P5 competition. That's exactly why the ACC is being looked at the way they are currently.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic