Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This country has been on a steady
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 65
| visibility 1

This country has been on a steady

Sep 13, 2016, 7:45 PM

Decline since we became a country of rights and not responsible. How far are we going to go before this trend turns around?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This country has been on a steady

Sep 13, 2016, 7:49 PM

the right not to be beaten or shot by a rage fueled cop is the one that really irks me, or that they are NOW required to inform you that they are going to empty a can of pepper spray on to your face.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 13, 2016, 7:54 PM

Well that right doesn't exist no one can do anything before hand about someone willing to commit a crime. Some in this country would have you believe that's the norm not the exception.

Sep 13, 2016, 7:59 PM

you would think strangling a man to death for selling loose cigarettes would deter that behavior

Sep 13, 2016, 8:06 PM [ in reply to Re: This country has been on a steady ]

The root of all evil....NEPOTISM!!!! NEPOTISM!!!!!

then don't break the law or be a pretentious ### to a cop

Sep 13, 2016, 8:07 PM [ in reply to Re: This country has been on a steady ]

when they tell you to do something!!!!! It's simple, nothing to hide then why worry. We have rights but if I match a description then I'm going to cooperate because I know I'm innocent. Educate yourself if you don't already know it. Are there had cops, yes there are. That will not change although measures are now in place to help minimize it. Don't believe all the little snippet videos you see with little or no description(they are usually misinformed). Welcome to the Devil, it's name, SOCIAL MEDIA!!!

Nothing to hide, nothing to worry about?

Sep 13, 2016, 8:21 PM

Have I ever told you about the time the Central police pulled me out of my apartment at gunpoint, busting fresh stitches from a hernia surgery, on the word of a coke addict I had never met? Or how when I went to make a complaint they basically told me that they followed standard procedure and didn't understand why I was upset? Yea, that happened.

Re: Nothing to hide, nothing to worry about?

Sep 13, 2016, 11:10 PM

You must be black, because that kind of thing only happens to black people

Are you serious!?****

Sep 13, 2016, 11:29 PM

welcome to the basket of deplorables :-)

Sep 14, 2016, 8:18 AM

be careful as you move the merchandise around in the basket. some of them are bitey.

Re - Welcome to the Devil, it's name, SOCIAL MEDIA!!!

Sep 13, 2016, 11:01 PM [ in reply to then don't break the law or be a pretentious ### to a cop ]

Really. How DARE all the uppity civilians shine a light of truth on the conduct of police officers & their routine, deliberate & systematic violation of people's constitutional rights.

Re: then don't break the law or be a pretentious ### to a cop

Sep 13, 2016, 11:18 PM [ in reply to then don't break the law or be a pretentious ### to a cop ]

White dude response

And yet I have never been assaulted in any way by a cop

Sep 13, 2016, 9:17 PM [ in reply to Re: This country has been on a steady ]

strange...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have been assaulted & falsely arrested by a cop.

Sep 14, 2016, 12:10 AM

It happened to me on January 13, 2012, in the Earlewood neighborhood of Columbia, where I was walking about 5 blocks from my house.

After finishing dinner that evening at about 8:45pm, I decided to go outside for a walk through my neighborhood, which is about 2 miles north of downtown. Right about 9:00pm, a Columbia city police officer cruising in the other direction turned around & stopped me. Immediately he was quite belligerent & suspicious toward me. "We've had some break-ins in the area", he said in a threatening tone. "Where are you headed?"; "where do you live?". I answered his questions truthfully & as politely as I could under the circumstance. "What's in your backpack?", he then demanded. "Books, magazines, personal stuff", I responded. Then he barked at me loudly, "YOU GOT SOME ID?". My response - "I wasn't aware that I needed one; I'm just walking" - must have really set him off. At that point the officer, already out of his car, charged me, kicked my feet out from under me, slammed me down to the turf & moved to put me in handcuffs. "GET DOWN! GET DOWN!", he yelled. "Why are you doing this to me?", I responded. "YOU RESISTED ARREST", he then claimed. The officer, a 22-year-old male, had already called for back-up. When the 2nd officer arrived, the 2 then started to question me some more. "You got warrants out for your arrest", the 2nd officer said. "No I don't", I responded. They then put me in the back of the police car, searched my backpack & found nothing, & ran a check on me, which came back clean. After this, the 1st officer wrote out 2 citations, 1 for disorderly conduct & 1 for resisting arrest, then drove me to a paddy wagon which transported me to the Richland County jail. Once I got to the jail, the booking officer, upon seeing the citations, sneered at me & remarked, "Oh, a smart a**". After spending the night in jail & waiting what seemed like an eternity for a bond hearing, I was finally released on a personal-recognizance bond at 4pm the next day.

So for this walk through my own neighborhood, I was facing 2 criminal charges, to say nothing of the humiliation, degradation & stress I experienced. I had to hire a lawyer, which cost me $2,500. The prosecutor's office had no intention of dropping the charges; all they offered was to recommend me into Pre-Trail Intervention, which would've entailed pleading guilty, paying the fines & accepting responsibility for my "crimes", paying more money to enter the program, doing 20 hours of community service, submitting to drug-testing & also to the authority of a PTI officer with the power to flunk me from the program & remand me back for trial (in which case I would forfeit all that money). My lawyer, who did believe my story, nonetheless explained that it was rare for anyone to win acquittal at trial on charges such that I faced & that PTI at least assured me of being able to come out of this with no criminal record. Still I refused, & so at arraignment we requested a jury trial.

Six months later I was required to attend a pre-trial hearing. At this point my lawyer learned that the arresting officer was no longer on the city police force, & thus he moved to have the charges dismissed. This motion was granted, & so the criminal case was over. A few months later I filed a civil suit against the Columbia police for false arrest & assault & battery. The evidence we had was in my favor, though not absolutely conclusive. (That evidence centered mainly on the fact that the arresting officer made up a story in his arrest report, having stated as fact that he had observed me staggering drunk & behaving loudly & obnoxiously prior to stopping me. Yet the jail nurse who examined me as I was being booked noted that I appeared completely sober.) My civil lawyer warned me that the police would likely "lose" the dashcam video, which would have corroborated my version of events. Sure enough, we were never able to procure it. Finally, about a year after filing the suit, my lawyer & I met with a lawyer from the city attorney's office at mediation, & we negotiated a settlement for $13,500.

This wasn't the 1st time I'd had a hostile encounter with police while walking through my neighborhood. The Columbia city police apparently have a stop-&-frisk policy that gets applied especially toward young people or black people. They will simply stop pedestrians at random (on a made-up pretext) & order them to spread & submit to a pat-down that usually involves being forced to empty pockets & open backpack. Utter one word of protest at this treatment - give them any backtalk whatsoever - & you'll be taken straight to jail. Seriously, it's just like Ferguson, Missouri, around here! I bought my house in this mixed-race neighborhood 11 years ago, & this has happened to me at least 12 times. For what it's worth, USC Police are just as bad - walking or biking on their campus at night while black is a sure way to get stopped & frisked; & they won't hesitate to arrest for trespassing anyone who can't render a "Carolina Card" (ID for USC students, faculty & staff). I'd had enough of these encounters that I know what to say & what not to say when stopped by a police officer; know what to do & what not to do. And I know my rights.

But knowing one's rights is of little use when facing a cop on a power-trip, a cop who acts on the notion that any defiance, insolence or show of "attitude" is per se a criminal offense, one that even justifies a violent arrest. Most people I know, whatever their background or political views, when I have told them story agreed that the police behavior in my case was outrageous. But a significant minority essentially told me that they had no sympathy for me, that I'd "brought this all on myself", by my failure to be submissive & deferential. They insisted on this point even though I was committing no crime, even though this was never a legal stop, even though it involved a completely unjustified resort to force. Their presumption is that the police are always in the right, that their authority is absolute, that their credibility beyond reproach, that they must always be shown respect & deference, & that failure to do so is a crime. "If I'd only complied," they insist, "none of this would have ever happened". The problems with this dictum of "just comply" are 1) that it presumes that we as citizens should have NO expectation that police will respect our constitutional rights, & 2) that no matter how outrageous the police conduct, the onus is always on the victim.

After my arrest, I did some more reading on this subject, from the ACLU as well as from other sources. I understand now that I got lucky in that I was able to get the criminal charges dismissed & got some measure of justice & compensation. But I learned that most people who find themselves in this predicament don't get such a positive outcome - either they can't afford a lawyer, can't make bail & thus lose their jobs & sometimes even their homes & property, or just can't win in a system stacked so heavily in favor of police, authority, wealth & whiteness.

Wow.

Sep 14, 2016, 8:33 AM

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this personal account. I'm appalled at what you have had to face in your life. THIS is worth fighting against. You have allies, I promise.

Wow, just wow doesn't begin to cover it.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have been assaulted & falsely arrested by a cop.

Sep 14, 2016, 7:52 PM [ in reply to I have been assaulted & falsely arrested by a cop. ]

Dude, thats crazy. Sorry for all the problems you have had. When government can do things like that to you on a consistent basis, then the government has too much power.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2013_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would say being beaten or shot to death by a raged filled

Sep 14, 2016, 1:35 AM [ in reply to Re: This country has been on a steady ]

cop is not really being a responsible cop.

Sep 14, 2016, 7:40 AM [ in reply to Re: This country has been on a steady ]

It's your responsibility to not yourself in a position to be shot...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Countries are the problem. We are one human race on one

Sep 13, 2016, 7:50 PM

planet Earth. Borders are just artificial barriers to divide people. Just love. And the Age of Aquarius will be here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Countries are the problem. We are one human race on one

Sep 13, 2016, 8:57 PM

what a bunch of crap

but it's where we are headed. Our Globalist overlord betters

Sep 13, 2016, 9:22 PM

have decided as much. We are just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic with our so-called democratic elections. Republicans and Democrats are two sides of the same coin: big government to take care of us for our own good. In their opinion, we are just too dang stupid to run our own lives - and they have all the power. Education, media, and the levers of governmental power are all in the hands of those that believe the biggest threat is The People. Whoops.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Sep 14, 2016, 8:04 AM [ in reply to Countries are the problem. We are one human race on one ]

Sinful nature of man is the problem..Only one way to have peace and that is through
Jesus Christ...

Sep 14, 2016, 9:33 PM

I guess people should keep that in mind when they're being shot at by police with "In God We Trust" on the back of their patrol car.

Sep 13, 2016, 7:51 PM

Not sure I get what you're saying .
Are you saying that Americans shouldn't have any rights ?
That what you're saying ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Sep 13, 2016, 8:01 PM

No, just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean you should do it, instead asking yourself is it the responsibile thing to do. We continue to focus more energy on giving everyone special rights.

This country is much better than the country I was born in

Sep 13, 2016, 8:01 PM

56 years ago in 1960.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are correct

Sep 13, 2016, 8:19 PM

and much better than the country I was born in 69 years ago in 1947.

Re: This country is much better than the country I was born in

Sep 13, 2016, 9:44 PM [ in reply to This country is much better than the country I was born in ]

Your exactly right Chuckston. Many on this board have no idea how bad it used to be in this country. I was born in 1954. I remember when MLK was murdered, Bobby Kennedy, John Kennedy and I remember 500,000 people of all races marching on Washington to end the war in Vietnam.

We're living in a cake-walk compared to how it used to be.

God Bless America!

Those who murdered the three of them have been

Sep 14, 2016, 6:15 PM

in charge ever since...we are better at being superficial.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm with you.

Sep 13, 2016, 8:42 PM

This entitled society thinks they're just born with us owing them certain freedoms. No sir, not on my watch, come back when you've actually done something and then maybe you can have those liberties.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 13, 2016, 8:49 PM

Everytime I hear someone spouting off about rights, I flash back to something I heard in the long ago ages when I was a teacher. A coworker was trying to decide whether to laugh, cry or both. I asked why. She said, a student was complaining about her boyfriend be house with her. Apparently, she slept with her baby daddy who was not her current boyfriend. The student said something to the effect of he's my baby's daddy. He's got rights too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know you've raised a real tiger fan when you ask your son what he wants his cub scout pinewood derby car to be and he says a Tiger!

Not sure what you are talking about.

Sep 13, 2016, 9:07 PM

I got up this morning and took my daughter to school. Commuted to work streaming WCCP. Made some good money at work that I use to pay for my epic house and things for my family and myself as well as plenty to save. Was allowed to speak my mind. Drove home and had fancy Indian food delivered straight to my door. Browsed some sites on the phone and played with my daughter in the yard. No one was shooting at me. I wasn't enslaved. Didn't see anyone get blown up. My wife was allowed to be herself. But yeah, it's terrible and the country's falling apart.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not sure what you are talking about.

Sep 13, 2016, 9:13 PM

Hahahaha says the white guy living in the South: Everything is just peaches and cream! Look at the great day I had!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I live in New Hampshire***

Sep 13, 2016, 9:15 PM

Re: I live in New Hampshire***

Sep 13, 2016, 9:17 PM

Same thing. Seriously. The world doesn't revolve around you. There ARE other people with other circumstances living in this country.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It seems you completely missed the point there champ***

Sep 13, 2016, 9:21 PM

as has been the case for centuries

Sep 14, 2016, 12:06 AM [ in reply to Re: I live in New Hampshire*** ]

In every part of the world. some people are just more fortunate than others. Some people are born rich, have an easy life and never have an issue in the world.

Some people are born into hardship and never get out of it.

Some people are born into hardship and get out of it through incredible commitment, ambition and or luck.

Some people are born into wealth, have an easy life and then one day their whole family is killed in a car crash and nothing is ever the same again.

This world we live in has 7 billion stories. None are the same. Always been that way.

Re: I live in New Hampshire***

Sep 14, 2016, 7:57 AM [ in reply to Re: I live in New Hampshire*** ]

I would like to chime in here. Does anyone force you to live in a bad neighborhood? Does anyone force you to stay at home and get paid to be lazy? Do you have the initiative to get out and make your life what you want it to be? Does anyone force you to get involved with gangs and sell drugs? These are all choices. People choose to do these things. I grew up poor on a farm and didn't have a lot growing up. I chose to better myself and create a better life for me and my future family. Through hard work I am where I want to be in life now. For the record I have been pulled over about 5 times in my life by black and white cops. I respected the officers and fully cooperated with their requests because I had nothing to hide. Just by being honest and cooperating with them I received one ticket out of those multiple stops for a tint violation. After I removed the questionable tint the ticket was dropped. You know I feel sorry for anyone who has been wrongly shot by an officer.However I am sick and tired of hearing blacks claim they are being targeted. More white people have been shot by cops than black people. So cry me a river about your poor life that you were dealt. Not everyone is born with a silver spoon in there mouth and I can guarantee you I have been given nothing or any special treatment because I am white. I made the choice to make something out of my life.

Sep 14, 2016, 8:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Not sure what you are talking about. ]

I have one word for you CHICAGO!

Sep 14, 2016, 4:14 PM [ in reply to Not sure what you are talking about. ]

Yeah but can you see outside your bubble, protected by all sorts of raw strength and violence, implied and otherwise?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 14, 2016, 4:17 PM [ in reply to Not sure what you are talking about. ]

That shattt outside your bubble is coming. Do you want it?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 13, 2016, 10:10 PM

From education to standard of living to income disparity to crime. You name it.
Similarly there is a direct negative correlation between out of wedlock birth and all that is negative.
Sure there are racial and other issues but you can directly link trends in virtually every measure of success to the decline of the married two parent family.
Flame away but please bring your facts and not just opinions.

Sep 14, 2016, 7:57 AM

SMH :When you don't bring facts or data, but insist on it from others .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

here you go

Sep 14, 2016, 8:34 AM

http://www.aei.org/publication/for-richer-for-poorer-how-family-structures-economic-success-in-america/

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/dec/25/fathers-disappear-from-households-across-america/

https://www.ncjrs.gov/App/Publications/abstract.aspx?ID=167327

I could find many many more. People don't want to talk about this because it's so much cooler to celebrate "freedom" to have kids without being married. And this problem is far worse in the black community than any other. If Black Lives Matter truly cared about creating a better lives for Blacks they could make a far greater difference by focusing on this problem.

Re: here you go

Sep 14, 2016, 8:38 AM

Ok. Thanks ??

DB23

Re: here you go

Sep 14, 2016, 9:02 AM [ in reply to here you go ]

Whitesplaining.

Facts are racist!***

Sep 14, 2016, 6:19 PM

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Entitlement And The Wants of The Few Outweighing

Sep 13, 2016, 11:08 PM

The Needs of The Many Are Killing Us. Nikita Khrushchev Called It, He Was about 60 Years Ahead of His Time. We Will Crumble From Within. It is Sad to Watch. I Hate to Say it But I Think WW III Would Be Preferable to Watching Liberal, One-Legged Part-Time Transgender Hermaphrodites Ruin This Nation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Entitlement And The Wants of The Few Outweighing

Sep 14, 2016, 12:43 AM

Why did you capitalize all those words

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's funny

Sep 14, 2016, 8:44 AM [ in reply to Entitlement And The Wants of The Few Outweighing ]

The only "One-Legged Part-Time Transgender Hermaphrodite" that I know is a Libertarian.

When was this country better? What year?*****

Sep 14, 2016, 6:49 AM

It start in the early 1900's when the ACLU

Sep 14, 2016, 8:01 AM

was formed and there goal was to remove God from America!

Slowly but surely.***

Sep 14, 2016, 9:34 AM

Sep 14, 2016, 8:29 AM

It has been on decline since we aren't educating idiots like yourself

Sep 14, 2016, 9:01 AM

Since The Bill Of Rights or since The Voting Rights Act of 1965?

We suck. Hard.***

Sep 14, 2016, 9:22 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No problem. Some NFL players are fixing that.***

Sep 14, 2016, 9:26 AM

Wait... haven't we always been a country of rights?***

Sep 14, 2016, 9:30 AM

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Unalienable God-given rights. Not made up left wing rights***

Sep 14, 2016, 1:37 PM

Re: Unalienable God-given rights. Not made up left wing rights******

Sep 14, 2016, 1:49 PM

That post has no relevance to what I said. None.***

Sep 14, 2016, 1:56 PM

Re: That post has no relevance to what I said. None.***

Sep 14, 2016, 2:02 PM

I was just confused as to who gets which rights.

Ever read the Constitution?***

Sep 14, 2016, 2:35 PM

Re: Ever read the Constitution?***

Sep 14, 2016, 2:49 PM

Just the original or are we including amendments? What about the civil rights act?

So what made up rights are we talking about?***

Sep 14, 2016, 3:20 PM [ in reply to Unalienable God-given rights. Not made up left wing rights*** ]

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

The right to identify as a gender which you are not and...

Sep 14, 2016, 4:30 PM

accommodations to be made as a result?

The right to free/subsidized health insurance?

The right not to be offended?

Note...I'm not completely agreeing with the above sentiment, but there are a lot of rights that seem to have appeared recently.

Replies: 65
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic