Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Not sure what people expect of Clemson Basketball.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,414

Not sure what people expect of Clemson Basketball.

Mar 4, 2015, 3:26 PM

I am not a huge basketball guy but having seen Clemson B-Ball since the mid 70s I just don't get it. Brownell last year was 23-13 , 10 -8 in conference with a trip to the Garden. If we hadn't lost KJ we probably would have been better this year and still we were 500 in conference with some close loses (Louisville) and a pretty good win like Pittsburgh.

Lets face it this job wears good coaches down over time, its tough(and not suggesting that Brownell is worn out just over time the job seems to get the best of good coaches and they come off looking worse then when they started).Look at Cliff Ellis. He started strong and he reached a peak in 1990 but he left with fans complaining about him although I would guess that for the most part he is remembered positively. My brother will talk about the good things he remembers about Bill Foster but talk about a guy who by the end of his tenure at Clemson had seemingly worn out his welcome. When Cliff Ellis took over for Bill Foster I can remember my brother telling me basically good riddance(today he would say differently lol).

Clemson B-Ball goes in cycles and everything I see now is pretty par for the course. Lets remember one thing that for a football school Clemson B-Ball since the late 70s has gotten to postseason play more often than not be it the NCAA Tourney or the NIT.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not sure what people expect of Clemson Basketball.

Mar 4, 2015, 3:31 PM

average 26 wins and win the ACC 2 out of 3 years.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What he said ^^^^***

Mar 4, 2015, 3:51 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 4, 2015, 4:01 PM

A team that doesn't go on 10 min scoring droughts every game.
That's all

Mar 4, 2015, 4:07 PM

Maybe par for the course doesn't satisfy all of us.

Mar 4, 2015, 4:19 PM

Not to be too much of a smart ### lol but I guess now it's time to worry about Coach Leggett.My bad but I couldn't resist! ROFLMAO

Mar 4, 2015, 5:03 PM

I expect to BEAT teams like Gardner Webb, Wofford,FSU and Tech and NCSU last night.I do not expect to go for 10 mins without a field goal! I do not expect to have players who can not even catch a good pass(we will not talk about the horrible passes we make far too many times).. @ the end of a game with tie score and we have the ball I do not expect to have our P/G stand out @ midcourt and dribble away the time until there are 4 seconds left and then not even get off a shot!after the other team scores I do not expect to see our guy throw the ball right to the opposition player for an easy lay-up,, this has happened 4 times this year I have seen!!! who in our fan base can justify that???? speak up!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 4, 2015, 6:43 PM

Re. teams like Gardner Webb and Wofford, this is not meant as a put down to those schools. In reality, though, they are on the early schedule to get the team warmed up to playing basketball - that is, to get our legs under us and find our rhythm, best starting five, etc. Basically they are on the schedule to "get the kinks out" in game day environments.

They are NOT on the schedule to define our season as an NCAA Tourney non-qualifier BEFORE we even get to the January ACC schedule.

I know, being a football school, that we will NEVER shock the world on the basketball court. As a freshman in 1967, I have certainly learned that over 48 years of following the program.

I do expect Clemson, however, to make the NCAA's on occasion. I also expect Clemson to make frequent appearances in the NIT. There are some games on the schedule I simply cannot accept as losses. In this season alone, you know to which games I refer.

'Nough said! I'll put my soapbox back in the closet.

There is no reason we can't be good in basketball***

Mar 4, 2015, 6:13 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I would love to of seen what Brad could of done with

Mar 4, 2015, 6:22 PM

Some of the players Oliver prunell had. I cant remember what year it was, it was the year we had Terrance Oglesby, Trevor Booker, etc. That was a really good basketball team we had that year but yet we didnt win one game in the NCAA tournament with those players. Im not saying Oliver Prunell did a bad job with those players but i think BB would of got us to the Sweet 16 if he had that kind of talent at Clemson.

Until the admin decides bball is important,

Mar 4, 2015, 6:31 PM

we will always be mediocre. Look at how the new arena became a facelift of LJC...while at the same time building a Taj Mahal "operations" building for football for the same amount of money. They consider the entire bball program, men's and women's combined, to be the same value as one new football building. Why would any top recruits even consider Clemson when the school doesn't care? It's sad.

I don't know why they tried to make a big deal out of the "last game in LJC" when we'll be back there after one year away...

Re: Until the admin decides bball is important,

Mar 4, 2015, 6:52 PM

I read an article last year comparing the annual investments in basketball made by each ACC school. I cannot remember the figures, so please don't hammer me if I am wrong.

But I think Duke was at the top of the list at $15 million, and we were at or near the bottom at $5 million.

So yes, administrative decisions (starting with Frank Howard in the '40's) have defined Clemson Basketball as we know it today.

But even with lack of emphasis/investment, coaches have come through here that have put a good competitive product on the floor.

And,in spite of what others say about lack of interest from the fan base, one cannot find a ticket to a Clemson home game when the Tigers are playing good basketball.

Put a good team on the floor, and the fans will come.

Exactly. Our fan base is also a major problem.

Mar 4, 2015, 7:15 PM [ in reply to Until the admin decides bball is important, ]

Basketball is a very frustrating topic for me when it comes to our fans:

One segment of our fan base has very low expectations for basketball, and they say stuff like "we will never compete with Duke and UNC" and "we should never expect much from basketball."

Another segment has champagne taste on a beer budget, and whines about how bad we are.

Both segments are afraid to make basketball a priority, because of fear. They either fear that we will never be good at basketball, no matter what we do, because we are cursed. Or they fear that spending money on basketball is money we should have spent on football to keep up with the FSU and the SEC.

Frankly, I am really tired of our fans sucking when it comes to basketball. We MUST put money toward our basketball program, and I mean really support it. We need a great arena, with top of the line player amenities. We need to be positive about our team, not negative. We need to show up to games, be loud, and cheer. And if we do these things, we will soon be a regular in the top group of ACC teams and a regular in the NCAA Tournament.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,414
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic