Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Not sure about anyone else
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 656

Not sure about anyone else

Dec 22, 2018, 3:46 PM

I am enjoying the plunge of the markets and oil. Would like to see the Dow chop off another 4500 points and oil go below $40. Gonna be fun the next couple months.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not sure about anyone else

Dec 24, 2018, 7:49 PM

Haha, I've actually felt a little guilty for being somewhat excited about watching the stock marke plunge. It's kinda crazy that stock, bonds and commodities have all three been declining at the same time though. Works great if you have extra money to invest, but not so much if you're looking for a safe place to put your money until after this rocky period is over.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 25, 2018, 8:35 PM

yes, it is always a fun time when people lose their jobs and the economy tanks.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 25, 2018, 8:52 PM

Balm, you seem worried and even if you are a cry baby I hope you stay employed. You lack understanding of markets, the economy or much of anything. These are called opportunities and if able and smart present a chance to improve your situation

Dec 25, 2018, 8:59 PM

Opportunity for some and misery for others.

Dec 26, 2018, 6:48 AM

Carlsbad® said:

Opportunity for some and misery for others.

Yes, that is also called life. Nothing is fair and equal for all. At least not the outcomes as that is dependent upon the choices one makes. The freedom to make the choices is equal but not the outcomes.

Dec 25, 2018, 9:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Not sure about anyone else ]

first of all you do not know me. And I know enough to see what is coming, and find it utterly distasteful that you seem excised about this "opportunity". But such is the life of a sociopath who can not see any further than their own immediate self interest.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2018, 6:45 AM

first of all you do not know me. And I know enough to see what is coming, and find it utterly distasteful that you seem excised about this "opportunity". But such is the life of a sociopath who can not see any further than their own immediate self interest.

Balm, you are such a cry baby. Are you so naive that you think economies and markets are only good? Good grief you are a 12 year old girl at best. All economic trends and markets run in cycles, just a fact. If people out there do not grasp this FACT that is their fault and not mine. Those of us that know, it is a chance to do well both ways, those that gleefully remain ignorant spending every dime they make each week take their chances. SO all I can say is while you may think it is distasteful, those of us that have been waiting for this opportunity will be moving in and out on the way down and ready to go long once it capitulates. Time for you to go pet your unicorn while sitting at the edge of the skittle river singing kumbaya. Is life fair and equal? Nope, never has been and never will. You may want to find the person that told you that and kick them in the cods.

Dec 26, 2018, 7:06 AM

I don't think he has a problem with people making money on the cyclical nature of the market. Everyone that posts on this site realizes the markets runs in cycles. It's just the way you post your glee at your supposed success while their is so much misery for others. Sure it is prudent to make a dollar where one can. It's your tone he finds distasteful and abrasive. It can rub people the wrong way who are losing a lot. It's not the classiest of things to do. There is a lot of pain in the country this year as far as the market is concerned. My Grandpa was complaining the other day about the hit in the wallet he is feeling. It's stressful for some. I think the right thing to do would be to make money, but to not gloat and to respect others. Also, post your positions in the market so we can all follow.

Dec 26, 2018, 7:46 AM

Carlsbad® said:

I don't think he has a problem with people making money on the cyclical nature of the market. Everyone that posts on this site realizes the markets runs in cycles. It's just the way you post your glee at your supposed success while their is so much misery for others. Sure it is prudent to make a dollar where one can. It's your tone he finds distasteful and abrasive. It can rub people the wrong way who are losing a lot. It's not the classiest of things to do. There is a lot of pain in the country this year as far as the market is concerned. My Grandpa was complaining the other day about the hit in the wallet he is feeling. It's stressful for some. I think the right thing to do would be to make money, but to not gloat and to respect others. Also, post your positions in the market so we can all follow.

Carlsbad, I made a simple post on wanting it to correct to a more balanced level, still needs to drop another 4K to get there IMO. Given that nothing was fixed since 2008 but papered over. Am I glad it is occuring, you bet and there is nothing I would say different. Once again, markets do not go up forever and that is why one must get out when prudent instead of following the sheep and the guru advice. Sorry if that is distasteful but it is the truth. Sometime the truth hurts I guess. I had learned a very costly lesson decades back and use it today to guide what I do and when. Sure it is stressful for those that do not grasp any money invested can go to zero, only invest that which one can afford to lose. Currently sit in 100% cash positions as I have been since the DOW was at 24K now awaiting the bottom or close to it as I have not seen any indication of capitulation yet. Sold my short positions in oil on Monday when it hit $43, there may be 10%-15% left but I will leave that on the table. Fat pigs get slaughtered. WIll go long again when it settles down as oil is not going to be at this level by spring. Only people in pain are the ones that thought it would go up forever and bought close to tops, just a fact. Nobody is currently losing jobs over the market downturn, UE is low as are interest rates on a historical level all of Balm's musings are silly at this point. Yes pain can be suffered by some due to when they bought, like I said not all outcomes are equal and never will be in fact. When markets do this it is time to make hay as they say.

Dec 26, 2018, 7:58 AM

I like the market correcting itself some too for me. It's a nice time for buying opportunities. I just think it is also good to respect others who are feeling some pain. It's people's retirement and future. It's no joking matter or something to cavalier about. If I cashed in a million I made shorting the market, let's say tomorrow, I definitely wouldn't gloat. It would be great for me, but so much pain elsewhere for the masses. Very few people short the market relatively. Anyway, when the market is crushed it hurts everyone. I have a friend who is a GM at one of the biggest Mercedes dealerships here in South Florida. She said that the dealership had it's worst December in 10 years. People are nervous and staying with what they have. They are getting conservative. People with cash are starting to batten down the hatches. Those sales people had a miserable Christmas. The pain will start to trickle down to everyone if things don't reverse course.

Dec 26, 2018, 8:18 AM

Balm is the only one that I really get abrasive with ,maybe Robert too. They also deserve it so there is that. Shorting segments,companies is a great way to play the downturns in the markets but,big but here, one must be pretty sure of the area. I tend to only play in the oil sector for shorts. People miss the one thing about the markets, it is not the end all be all of the economy. Like I said we are currently growing, low UE and historical low rates. Do people pull in a bit when these things show up, yes but that is only normal and part of all cycles. Nothing goes straight up forever and Trump was a fool to keep touting the market gains as proof of his economic plans. Almost all of this is due to the FED reducing balance sheet and raising rates. Like I said nothing was fixed,ever, since 2008 . This was bound to happen if one looked at what was done. Cheap money could not last forever, FED could not keep buying assets. Companies books in sectors in real estate or owning building are still valuing them for what they paid, not what they are worth. Yes people with money are getting conservative, that is why they have money in the 1st place. Could we enter a syustained period such as Japan has been in since 1980 with their market. You bet, it is just a tad over 1/2 of what it was valued then today. Their economy is doing okay, people are empoyed and it is allright.

Dec 26, 2018, 8:21 AM

Employment means little when people thrive off commission and people aren't buying. People are just starting to feel the pinch.

Dec 26, 2018, 8:32 AM

Very small segment of the work force. That is why what they choose to do with the money during good times matters. Is that harsh, not really but it is a fact. People working on commisions should know that money needs to be put away for when the cycle turns, that is on them Carlsbad. When the downturn hits they have money to smooth over the dips. Just saying outcomes are dependent upon what choices one makes. The idea that everyone will always do okay is ludicrous Carlsbad. In all of history that has NEVER been the case.

Dec 26, 2018, 1:07 PM

People in sales usually make or break their year with commission. There are tons of those people. On a side note, I am putting you on ignore. Only the 2nd person in however many years I have been on here. You're too annoying.

Dec 26, 2018, 2:51 PM

Carlsbad® said:

People in sales usually make or break their year with commission. There are tons of those people. On a side note, I am putting you on ignore. Only the 2nd person in however many years I have been on here. You're too annoying.

Once again not a huge portion of workforce is commission. Put me on ignore, think that hurts me? Just live in that little echo chamber.

That's all well and good for those of us with some extra

Dec 26, 2018, 8:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Not sure about anyone else ]

money to invest. Probably not all that helpful for folks living paycheck to paycheck and worried about losing their jobs.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's all well and good for those of us with some extra

Dec 26, 2018, 9:02 AM

money to invest. Probably not all that helpful for folks living paycheck to paycheck and worried about losing their jobs.

It would depend upon in what segment their job is on whether they should be worried. It also depends upon other things such as why they live paycheck to paycheck. Is it due to buying too much house, too much vehicle,eat out too much? Look, I see far too many people that dismiss life choices here and everywhere in fact. Just because a loan guy says you can afford it does not mean that is really correct. Last loan I had,prior to getting it, everyone and their brother tried to move me to an amount they would lend me and to a far larger home . I laughed at them and told them nope. Yes, I could make payments forever but my plan was to pay it off in under 5 years. Nothing like owning it outright. Guy at work was compaligning about money, I asked him how much he spent eating breakfast on the way to work each day, he said $13 with a tip. Did the math for him at$3400 a year and said that one little change can improve it. Got a thanks later as he said he never stopped to think about it. Also that got him to think about other places money evaporated, like Starbucks.

Dec 26, 2018, 9:05 AM

Most of America lives paycheck to paycheck. i didn't read past that.

Dec 26, 2018, 9:16 AM

Well then that is part of the problem then if you just accept it as normal, why is it so? Like I said people do not stop to think on where the money is going. Little things can make a huge difference to a persons finances, they just do not stop to think about it. Now I am not trying to say that wages are great, they are silly low today. That will not change until a better balalnce is found between supply and demand for a skill set. One is not going to win that issue until the employers have no luck finding people to fill positions. Till then it behooves all to actually look at what they spend daily and make adjustments as they can. Hell, I look at everything I spend daily,weekly and monthly and know that a lot of stuff is only bought when it is a smoking deal. Home loans are the actual biggest killers along with rent claculators on affordability. In real life they are far from reality as to what affordable is in fact. Just on a home what one can afford is actually right at 2X-2.5X earnings.

Dec 26, 2018, 9:21 AM

Just for clarity if you earn $70k the max price of a home you should be looking at runs from $140k to $175k. Why, because one must fund taxes,insurance repairs. Also one must fund retirement goals because SS is not even close to enough. Kids educations also eat up a ton of money.

I think this says more about your character than anything

Dec 26, 2018, 11:53 AM

you can ever post.

You need to step away from politics and get into real life if you think others doing poorly somehow making Trump look bad is a good thing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think this says more about your character than anything

Dec 26, 2018, 12:34 PM

First off nobody can make someone look bad, only can look to themselves for that outcome. My post was only on the possibilities of making money in the current downturn. I could care less how it reflects on Trump, he is a goofball for touting the markets as his doing because he set himself up for failure when it turned. Just saying, you wanna take credit during the good then take the blame when it turns to dookie.

Replies: 22
| visibility 656
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic