Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Chicks dig the long ball, but long passes may be fewer this season
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Chicks dig the long ball, but long passes may be fewer this season

Sep 11, 2013, 8:40 AM

Chicks dig the long ball, but long passes may be fewer this season

Clemson was among the nation's best during the 2012 season at hitting the long pass play, and defensive coordinators are scheming to stop the deep ball. What does Clemson quarterback Tajh Boyd say is the answer? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We'll just have to throw more slands and crosses to

Sep 11, 2013, 8:41 AM

Sammy that he turns into YAC TDs!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

bubble screens and

Sep 11, 2013, 9:08 AM

throw in a statue of liberty every now and again

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Chicks dig the long ball, but long passes may be fewer this season

Sep 11, 2013, 8:54 AM

Play the middle routes and the longer routes will open naturally

Take those checkdowns and the long passes will come

Sep 11, 2013, 8:59 AM

naturally. Don't force it.

Re: Front Page Story: Chicks dig the long ball, but long passes may be fewer this season

Sep 11, 2013, 9:30 AM

Oh boy..lovely...here comes the "we need 10 yard on 3rd down so I'm going to continue to throw it lateral" crap that we saw under Bowden...joy, joy....PLEASE don't do that Tajh unless that guy doesn't have someone close to him...one of the Bowden era crap I never could stand. "Give what is given" also can mean you hit a hole when it's there, or make new routes that at least get you 8 yards...let him run for 2, not 10.

Not going long doesnt mean only throwing laterally

Sep 11, 2013, 10:41 AM

It means throwing the 10-15 yard pass instead of the 40 yard pass. Throw enough of those 10 15 yarders and they will come down to try to stop that. And thats when you throw it over them for the big play.

Re: Not going long doesnt mean only throwing laterally

Sep 11, 2013, 10:53 AM

What I was alluding to was his comment about the "I was trying to go for 11 yards on 3rd and 10 when I could throw for 3 and the other guy can run for 10"....remember seeing stuff like that tons in the Bowden era...and 99% of them ended in a punt. IMO, if you are looking for a 3 yard checkdown and expect there not to be coverage where the guy can get 10 yard afterwards that easily (on a 3rd down), why not just take your shot with McDowell or someone who can try to plow for that 10 from the get go...otherwise, I'd be looking for a checkdown that closer to 8 or 9 yards out (or as you said, 10 maybe)..but 3 yards when you need 10? That's putting alot of faith into that defensive guy not being able to tackle you short of the first down.

Re: Not going long doesnt mean only throwing laterally

Sep 11, 2013, 9:45 PM [ in reply to Not going long doesnt mean only throwing laterally ]

I agree. Also, we've got to have a significant running game. That will absolutely keep defenses honest.

Sep 11, 2013, 9:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Chicks dig the long ball, but long passes may be fewer this season ]

We have a least three fast backs aho can catch the ball coming out of the backfield. Hope we utilize them more.
Injuries are kickicking our butt: Peake out for the season. and our power back, Tyshon Dye, still out. I really like the look of C.J. Davidson who could be a big surprise.

I wonder why we don't throw more 15-20 yard slants/digs to

Sep 11, 2013, 9:30 AM

Sammy, like we did his Freshman year. Sammy's YAC were huge and he is a master at getting open in the middle of the field and using space. We did less of that last year and it hurt Sammy's numbers. We did it once this year against UGA and it went for a touchdown/ Sammy is a weapon in the middle of the field.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I wonder why we don't throw more 15-20 yard slants/digs to

Sep 11, 2013, 10:05 AM

Because defenses are playing us 10 yards off the LOS and protecting them selves from having to catch Sammy and Bryant after they catch a long ball. They are sick of giving up 20 to 30 yard plays. Teams are going to make us catch more passes for TD'S, and hoping to intercept. The more balls thrown, the better the chance to intercept. That is why Tajh has had to pull the ball down and just go, and LB'S are waiting for that. I'm OK with the short ball b/c they will have to try and stop that at some point. When they do, boom-yow ;) TD!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Eh... I know they are trying to take away the deep ball, but

Sep 11, 2013, 11:57 AM

that means they are opening up lanes underneath. The exaxt lanes im talking about that Sammy is awesome at exploiting. I'm not sure if Tajh just doesn't like throwing there or what.... but I have seen the space, we just don't hit it hard enough in my opinion.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I wonder why we don't throw more 15-20 yard slants/digs to

Sep 11, 2013, 9:54 PM [ in reply to Re: I wonder why we don't throw more 15-20 yard slants/digs to ]

Take what they give you and continue to make first downs.
If they are laying off our receivers, take the 8 to 9 gimmes. March down the field and score. It doesn't hurt if our running backs are also burning them for 6 to 7 yards. It really comes down to the trenches.

I believe that we should throw a couple of DEEEEP balls a

Sep 11, 2013, 9:56 AM

game to keep the defense from playing too tight or stacking the box. I really don't care if the receiver catches it or not (a reception would be great of course) as long as we don't throw an interception......and it would open up the bubble screen....lol

Sep 11, 2013, 10:07 AM

This must be a ruse, because we HAVE to throw some deep balls to stretch the field. That keeps the D honest and opens up the playbook. Failure to stretch the field makes their DC look like a genius.

I think the whole point of that conversation is that Boyd was prone to going for the longer passes in the SC State game, when the underneath routes were open for good yardage. Morris was not happy with those decisions from Boyd. I don't think we will even consider ceasing to throw the deep pass.

I forwarded you guy's suggestions to Chad

Sep 11, 2013, 10:24 AM

I'll let you know if/when I get a response.

Thanks! I did get a response from The Chad and he even

Sep 11, 2013, 1:11 PM

offered me a job on HIS staff when he got that HC position....I'm considering his offer.

Bring back the funnel screen...

Sep 11, 2013, 10:39 AM

Nm

no worries...the Chad just keeping the Tajh in check! ;-)***

Sep 11, 2013, 10:47 AM

actually chics dig the screaming forehand down

Sep 11, 2013, 10:47 AM

the line on the run

Long ball setup is key so they also dig the foreplay.***

Sep 11, 2013, 12:16 PM

I really don't see the long ball decreasing. It has so far

Sep 11, 2013, 12:40 PM

maybe, but wait and see what happens during this stretch of games: State, Wake, Syracuse, BC. It's not like they didn't play deep last year against Nuk/Sammy, etc.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

run the ball successfully

Sep 11, 2013, 12:40 PM

and the passing ydg will be there for the taking. Football has never changed since the invention of the fwd pass...if you can run for first downs the defense has to tighten up to the LOS , thusly bringing the downfield passing game into play .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Sep 11, 2013, 1:16 PM

Now that Tajh and Morris have talked to the media about this they will start covering the short ball and the long ball will be open. Lol. Hopefully Tajh will just learn to identify what's open either way and burn them shallow and deep.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Actually ...

Sep 11, 2013, 1:49 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Blowing smoke!

Sep 11, 2013, 6:08 PM

they'll find the BIG plays.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic