Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Player Update: McDaniel No. 2-rated undrafted free agent
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Football Player Update: McDaniel No. 2-rated undrafted free agent

Jul 20, 2011, 9:35 PM

McDaniel No. 2-rated undrafted free agent

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Player Update: McDaniel No. 2-rated undrafted free agent

Jul 20, 2011, 9:59 PM

I am a bit confused on this. Wasn't McDaniel one of the top safeties in the nation his last two seasons? How does he go undrafted? Did something happen with him that I missed? He had what, 9 int's Junior season? Was always rated one of the best in the nation, something is missing here.

Articles I read cited lack of speed,

Jul 20, 2011, 11:21 PM

size - he's a little short and could be leaner for his position, and coverage skills.

Some people mentioned the arrest, but I would think that would come way down the list after the physical attributes. Teams would only look at that if they were debating on two very similar players.

Jul 21, 2011, 10:55 AM [ in reply to Re: Football Player Update: McDaniel No. 2-rated undrafted free agent ]

http://www.tigernet.com/view/story.do?id=9583

it was his wrist apparently

The arrest early in his career scared a lot of teams off***

Jul 20, 2011, 10:09 PM

Re: The arrest early in his career scared a lot of teams off***

Jul 20, 2011, 10:45 PM

That was lamost 3 years ago, before his Jr season when he was considered a first round pick if he came out early. He was close to leading the nation in int's as a safety that year, athletically, he was rated at the top of the safety list, what happened? I just do not get this, undrafted? They draft stiffs in the 14th round. This just makes no sense. He is NFL talent all the way, we are all out of the loop on something here.

There are only 7 rounds in the NFL draft.***

Jul 24, 2011, 11:44 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, I'm sure that was it.

Jul 20, 2011, 10:45 PM [ in reply to The arrest early in his career scared a lot of teams off*** ]

He was arrested when Bowden was here, and then stayed until he graduated.

Pretty long time to clean up your act and still have teams hold a grudge.

Jul 20, 2011, 11:34 PM [ in reply to The arrest early in his career scared a lot of teams off*** ]

Are you kidding???? Most NFL teams would draft a serial killer if he could run for 2,000 yards a season. NFL teams didn't factor the arrest into their decision at all.

Jul 21, 2011, 6:09 PM

Didn't Leonard Little kill someone with a car and still have teams beating down his door?

Jul 21, 2011, 5:51 PM [ in reply to The arrest early in his career scared a lot of teams off*** ]

No it did not. He did not perform as well as he could have and he messed his wrist up. Dre will do fine...but don't put stuff on here you know nothing about.

Not being able to duplicate his JR. year hurt him.

Jul 20, 2011, 10:42 PM

Maybe. Who know?

Re: Not being able to duplicate his JR. year hurt him.

Jul 20, 2011, 11:42 PM

This just seems crazy, the top ranked S or at least a top 5 safety nationally does not get drafted? Say what? The guy is maybe one of the best safeties in the past class and he goes undrafted? They draft Div III guys in the later rounds, come on, what gives here? I think we are in the dark on something, McDaniel FB wise was a top 1-3 round draft pick and he went undrafted? Please.

Re: Not being able to duplicate his JR. year hurt him.

Jul 20, 2011, 11:59 PM

Also had wrist injury- slowed him down and left questions for future.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His #'s went down (ex. # of picks) due to him being asked to

Jul 21, 2011, 12:05 AM [ in reply to Not being able to duplicate his JR. year hurt him. ]

come up and help more in run support last year....or so I've heard that had a lot to do with his productivity as a true DB.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope panthers get him

Jul 21, 2011, 6:58 AM

They need some Clemson athletes, I'm getting sick of all the gamecocks on the roster that are awful and make the team the worst in the league. Captain munnerlyn is easily worst starting secondary and return man in NFL. I saw an eagles message board where everyone wanted deandre and were posting YouTube videos of him bc they want the next dawk

Re: I hope panthers get him

Jul 21, 2011, 5:52 PM

Absolutely NOT....any where but. Dre would love to be an Eagle but will be happy where ever he goes. I am hoping Atlanta or Jacksonville.

Jul 21, 2011, 5:45 PM

McDaniel not getting drafted was one of the biggest surprises to me in the entire draft. A lot of people completely missed the mark on this guy. Don't worry, he will make his mark in the NFL, soon.

Here is my opinion...

Jul 21, 2011, 10:38 PM

He had an injury and didn't play as well his senior year. He was burned in coverage consistently. I am not sure why. Any thought why? Maybe he was bad in coverage and that's his weak link, maybe it was the system. Either way he was burned a lot and injured. That said, the dude is tough and I think he will be a solid NFL player. I think teams missed out on a stud.

Re: Here is my opinion...

Jul 22, 2011, 9:19 AM

Simply put, his production as a senior was not what it was as a junior. This was due at least in part, to poor performance by our LB corps early in the season. That meant that he had to "cheat" up toward the line to help with run support and often got caught "with his eyes in the backfield" thus leading to him getting beat in coverage. He is a ballhawk who will be a special teams dynamo on some team. With professional coaching he could be a very solid starter at safety in a year or two.

What......?

Jul 22, 2011, 6:12 PM

I am shocked that anyone got drafted from Clemson to be honest, and especially shocked that many are expressing that same take of shock that McDaniel was not a high draft pick. I have been under the impression that there was no talent at Clemson and that the program had to be "built". Everyone wants to talk about how great recent graduates were on one hand, and rightly so, but yet giving Dabo a pass for his spin of having to have time to build the program like none of this talent was on that 6-7 exhibition of last year.

Re: What......?

Jul 24, 2011, 8:33 AM

Clemson always had talent on defense, just not at linebacker.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic