Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The gross incompetence of refs should be unacceptable
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

The gross incompetence of refs should be unacceptable

Jan 2, 2018, 2:22 AM

to all who love and care about the game; coaches players, administrators, athletic directors, media folks, and even officials themselves. Their incompetence regularly affects the outcomes of games, which is unfair to all concerned. They simply don't have the guts to do their jobs; they have made a conscious decision to ignore certain rules or to enforce them arbitrarily. They should be required to enforce the rules as written, all of them, without regard as to what fans, player, or coaches would think. There should be no agreement or understanding that certain rules will be ignored or interpreted in a way that renders them useless or their enforcement vague or arbitrary. Officials of the game should not be allowed to make those decisions; if a rule is not going to be enforced as written, it should be eliminated or re-written to suit the whims of those who are too chickenshat to enforce them as they are.

Holding and pass interference are two egregious examples. Referees simply do not call them 90% of the time. They see offensive players grabbing the jerseys of defenders when blocking, but they allow it. They see defender and receiver grabbing and pushing and making all kinds of contact while the ball is in the air, but they allow it. Well, the RULES don't allow it. They have decided that it's just too hard to enforce those rules. If you don't think those grabs and hooks by O-linemen don't spring long runs or allow for QBs to complete game-changing passes, you're not paying attention. If you don't think defenders getting away with blatantly grabbing WRs or making contact from behind before the ball arrives on slant routes doesn't alter the course of games, you don't don't know football. If you think refs aren't consciously allowing it, you are delusional.

There should be an outcry by all who love the game, to put an end to this nonsense, for the sake of the game. Unfortunately, the downward trajectory of officiating has been so gradual, that I fear we now have a generation of fans who have bought in to all kinds of excuses and rationalizations, and just don't know any different.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: The gross incompetence of refs should be unacceptable

Jan 2, 2018, 2:35 AM

I hope that you aren’t blaming the performance of the Tigers tonight on the officials.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not at all. Our performance was not worthy of a victory,

Jan 2, 2018, 2:43 AM

and is a separate issue from the officiating, which was unfair and incompetent. It is unquestionable that poor officiating resulted in at least 7, and likely at least 6 more of the ultimate 18 point difference. We can only speculate if and how that may have affected the course of the game and the ultimate outcome.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Not at all. Our performance was not worthy of a victory,

Jan 2, 2018, 6:47 AM

Agree totally!!

In a game of momentum and confidence, bad officiating helps tip the scales.

Jan 2, 2018, 6:49 AM [ in reply to Not at all. Our performance was not worthy of a victory, ]

Bammer played better and we were flat last night. It was their night.

But with the Tee PI, I’d like to see what happened with the ball around the 10.

With #94’s td, I’d like to see blantant offensive PI called and a FG attempt instead of a bs td. Bammer’s kicker already missed one short one.

Point is Bammer is good enough to win without any extra help. This reaks of Duke and UNC basketball. And if these calls add up to one team getting an extra 4 or 7 points in a defensive battle, you’re intentionally stacking the deck against one team to drastically increase their odds of losing.

Have some integrity and call a fair game to both teams, refs.

~JKB

Jan 2, 2018, 6:54 AM [ in reply to Not at all. Our performance was not worthy of a victory, ]

I can speculate that you scored
3 Points & Bama spotted you 3 with their Fumble. Oh and Clemson had 98 Total Yards with just under 10 minutes to go in the 4th Quarter.

Jan 2, 2018, 10:17 AM

Well in that case Bama scored 10 and we spotted them 14 with the two INT's.

And the refs spotted them some by not calling PI's on them, both offensive and defensive, and the ridiculous horse collar call after one of the INT's.

We also don't need any speculation for 34-10, 56-7, #neveragain.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree. The refs shouldn't even be mentioned.

Jan 2, 2018, 9:05 AM [ in reply to Re: The gross incompetence of refs should be unacceptable ]

First of all, we lost to a better team and it shouldn't even be mentioned today. Secondly, there will always be ups and downs with refs and that will never change.

Message was edited by: Carlsbad®

My post really has nothing more to do with last night's

Jan 2, 2018, 12:39 PM

game than any other of our games, or any of the other games I watched Saturday, or last week. It is a comment on the state officiating in general. IT becomes more obvious and more impactful and therefore more unacceptable in games at this level, that's all. I freely admit that we did not deserve to win last night, and that Alabama was the better team. I have been commenting about these issues all season.

- H. L. Mencken

To think that officials can’t and don’t have an effect on

Jan 2, 2018, 10:19 AM [ in reply to Re: The gross incompetence of refs should be unacceptable ]

the outcome of a game is “Head in the sand” mentality at it’s best! Proceed on.

Jan 2, 2018, 10:25 AM [ in reply to Re: The gross incompetence of refs should be unacceptable ]

I hope that you aren't saying consistently ignoring holding and PI calls doesn't have a major affect on a game's outcome.

Refs and the lack of holding calls, missed PI,

Jan 2, 2018, 10:34 AM [ in reply to Re: The gross incompetence of refs should be unacceptable ]

neutral zone infractions - there was some funny business going out there. You're right - it's not THE reason we lost but most definitely a factor.

Yes I do believe they officials played a major roll in us losing this game!

Jan 2, 2018, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Re: The gross incompetence of refs should be unacceptable ]

If the pass interference not called against them had been we would have the ball right there at the goal line early in the game could've resulted in our being in the game or taking the lead! There is no way to discern the difference that makes and they made a major Miss on a offensive p.i. In the endzone so take away that plus they held us on another route in the endzone that wasn't called.

Jan 2, 2018, 6:52 AM

You wasted a lot of time typing this.
Contact is allowed within the first five yards.
Slants are part of a teams 3step quick game
A received takes 3 steps which usually falls in the 5 yard contact area
After the ball is released the defensive has as much right to the football as the intended receiver.

Referees are no where near perfect.
I know Football, tonight was a big boy game.
Contact @ the line, in your QB’s lap, smacking dudes in the mouth. A heavyweight fight. Man to man on the perimeter. Bama was better, more physical, more prepared.

But leave the Refs alone.
Doesn’t know football to validate a point is laughable.
#YMCAFLAGFOOTBALL signups start soon

Jan 2, 2018, 7:55 AM

Dude, that hold in the end zome is considered pass interference and a player can not block down field on a pass play, that is why it is considered pass interference.

Jan 2, 2018, 8:02 AM

There rule is that offensive lineman can stray no further than 3 yards from the line of scrimmage during the moment. As in They accidently loss track of their place. Not purposely block 3 yards down field. The 5 yards is for defensive players. You are wrong on many level.

Jan 2, 2018, 8:03 AM [ in reply to Re: The gross incompetence of refs should be unacceptable ]

Ain't that how we scored the game winner last year?

Jan 2, 2018, 8:05 AM

No. We didnt grab jersey, pushing, holding, ect. Scott was grabbed by the DB and pulled to the ground.

"After the ball is released the defensive has as much right

Jan 2, 2018, 8:15 AM [ in reply to Re: The gross incompetence of refs should be unacceptable ]

to the football as the intended receiver." That is correct, but the defender must be in position to catch the ball and make a play on the ball; otherwise the contact is pass interference. What happens on slants is the offensive player is almost always in position to make the catch; the defender is behind the receiver, and the only way he can get into position to make a play on the ball, is to first make contact with the receiver, from behind, while the ball is in the air. The defender can't "go through" the receiver, knocking him out of the way from behind first, in order to get to the ball; that is pass interference by rule, yet that's what happens every time. Everything else in your post is gibberish that has nothing to do with any point I've made.

- H. L. Mencken

Go blow yourself...***

Jan 2, 2018, 1:09 PM [ in reply to Re: The gross incompetence of refs should be unacceptable ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Go blow yourself...***

Jan 2, 2018, 1:30 PM

You think if he could do that he would be on here?

No need to bring up officiating... just sounds

Jan 2, 2018, 8:01 AM

like sour grapes whether it's true or not...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been bringing it up all year, so this is not sour

Jan 2, 2018, 8:25 AM

grapes by any means. Based on our performance last night, we did not deserve to win - I have no problem whatsoever admitting that. My complaint is not just about our game last night, however, but about all games yesterday, and all year. It's about the state of of officiating in general.

- H. L. Mencken

well... based on our record for the regular season I still

Jan 2, 2018, 8:32 AM

don't understand how the refs hurt us? In reality, we just got beat in the two losses we had.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He isn't stating that the refs hurt us all year, he is

Jan 2, 2018, 10:21 AM

simply stating that in general all year across all of football the officiating has been pretty terrible and is progressively getting worse.

For instance in the pass to Tee Higgins last night, there is no way that should not have been called PI. But, there are also a lot of times our DB's get away with contact as well, so it sort of kind of evens out over a long term look at it but in a single game it may not.

I also agree with the OP that the loss last night was not due to the officiating, our o-line was out played and KB froze up, but the officiating in general is becoming a big issue.

Thank you - amazing how things can be misunderstood and

Jan 2, 2018, 12:44 PM

misconstrued, no matter how hard you try to insure otherwise. And you are right, it may or may not even out over time, but it definitely affects the outcomes of individual games and therefore the whole course of seasons and programs, and the lives of individuals involved.

- H. L. Mencken

For all teams' sake

Jan 2, 2018, 8:41 AM [ in reply to I've been bringing it up all year, so this is not sour ]

I agree that the officiating needs to be cleaned/cleared up as a whole for the integrity of the game. I posted last night that this was the worst bowl season officiating wise and game play in general. Holding, pass interference and targeting have been the three main points of atrociousness, imo.

Agree 100%***

Jan 2, 2018, 12:46 PM

- H. L. Mencken

Jan 2, 2018, 9:23 AM

Didn't they screw up the opening toss when Bama was also given the option of which end of the field to start? Thought that would be the Tigers call since Bama won the toss.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Jan 2, 2018, 1:13 PM

I could be wrong, but I think the team kicking off always gets that option.

No. Bama won the toss and deferred

Jan 2, 2018, 1:38 PM [ in reply to Re: The gross incompetence of refs should be unacceptable ]

One team picks whether to kick or receive.
The other team picks which end to defend.

Jan 2, 2018, 9:32 AM

complaining about the refs is an NC State/ Louisville move. Yes, their "rub" play was a blatant hold. Who cares? That, or any other play going our way, would not have prevented Bama from punching us in the junk. Great year, exceeded expectations, we move on and get better.

Jan 2, 2018, 10:28 AM

He isn't complaining about them solely in the game last night, it's an observation of the whole status of officiating.

But with regards to your statements, if they call the PI on the first drive third down pass to Renfrow when the Bama player was already on his back before the ball got there, the PI on the pass to Tee, the OPI on the Bama player blocking during a pass play, those things could have added up to make the game at least a bit closer.

Then I'm sure we've gotten away with a lot too and it all...

Jan 2, 2018, 10:13 AM

...washes out.

The ref's didn't make the difference between a W and L. Our O-line was manhandled....they didn't want to be there and Bama wanted it more.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Washes out? You missed the point. Refs are hired to

Jan 2, 2018, 10:27 AM

call the game according to the rules, nothing more , nothing less.

Refs are human...they make mistakes...

Jan 2, 2018, 10:31 AM

...Timing on this subject is terrible because it implies that many on here cannot take personal responsibility that we flat out got pushed around by a better team and the ref were not the difference. THE END.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL, personal responsibility??? Don’t think any of us

Jan 2, 2018, 10:37 AM

officiated last night!!

Re: Refs are human...they make mistakes...

Jan 2, 2018, 10:38 AM [ in reply to Refs are human...they make mistakes... ]

Using the humans make mistakes phrase is enabling them to continue to be terrible, in all of college football and the NFL, not specifically regarding last night.

Sure, they do make some mistakes at times because there can be bang bang plays and the speed at which things happen in real time can make it difficult to be 100% sure of a call.

But, in the instances where on a replay an official is staring right at an offensive lineman that has his arm around the neck of a defensive end and it doesn't get called as holding isn't a mistake, it's a choice.

When a receiver clearly has his arm held down before the ball arrives and an official is right there it's a choice, not a mistake.

Nothing to do with last night, but these guys get paid very well to call these games and their "mistakes" never really seem to effect their employment. For whatever reason it seems to be, oh well, he's a human and he made a mistake, try to do better next game and oh yeah, heres your paycheck.

Making a conscious decision to ignore rules is not a mistake

Jan 2, 2018, 12:47 PM [ in reply to Refs are human...they make mistakes... ]

- H. L. Mencken

Yes, as I posted several times over the last two weeks, the

Jan 2, 2018, 10:27 AM

refereeing for the bowl games I watched was the worst I've ever seen, and especially for the conference refs last night. I was very worried about it after finding out that were handling our game. They had been terrible all month.

I don't know if it was incompetence or

Jan 2, 2018, 10:32 AM

payola, or some other angle, but the ref situation was visible. One of many factors.....

Can't figure out why PAC12 refs are in bed with SEC teams

Jan 2, 2018, 10:42 AM

No PAC12 CFP this year (2 SEC teams in) and Bama embarrassed Washington last year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can't figure out why PAC12 refs are in bed with SEC teams

Jan 2, 2018, 11:17 AM

There are 2 different mentalities on display here, and the 2nd has subgroups. 1) we didn't bring it and we got handled. 2) the refs were bad and either a) it affected the game or b) it didn't.

People who blame external factors for lack of success, tend to not be wired for success in the first place. No one posting on Tigernet could officiate the game better. The refs weren't perfect, true.

But if you're reading this and you're a CPA, those refs couldnt prepare taxes as well as you, even if you make a mistake and overlook an exemption.

If you're a landscaper, those refs couldn't make a lawn look as good as you can, even if you occasionally run over a sprinkler head.

We all make mistakes, it's not personal, biased, or conspiracy-driven. We MUGGED Louisville TE when they were inside our 10 2 years ago. Literally tackled him. Hikutini I Think? Worst non call I've ever seen. See how it goes both ways and evens out?

2 yeas ago... yea, I remember that one. That's funny.

Jan 2, 2018, 1:17 PM

How many Bama games have you watched recently?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2018, 1:39 PM

The calls went Bama's way big time last night, but I don't think it made a difference. We just got beat.

Ugly facts: Refs can control the outcome of games that are even a little bit close. There are billions of dollars changing hands gambling on these games. It would be nearly impossible to prevent someone from taking advantage of these facts for financial gain given even mediocre OPSEC.

It is hard for me to imagine there is not at least some corruption in the officiating ranks.

Officiating was horrible all bowl season

Jan 2, 2018, 1:43 PM

The Kentucky/Northwestern game should be Exhibit A in those officials never getting to use a whistle again.

The refs are constantly out position so they call penalties based on the "reaction" to the supposed foul. They either aren't fast enough or there aren't enough of them to cover the field. Replay has also given them less of an incentive to actually try to get the call right on the field because they know if they blow it, it can be overturned. But the rule is to give weight to the call on the field.

Its pretty simple, if its a vicious hit, its targeting. If a defender fights through it, its not holding. If a runner is strong enough to fall sideways or forward, it can't be a horse collar.

Our crew was from the same conference

Jan 2, 2018, 7:48 PM

As the Music City Bowl with Kentucky and Northwestern, which was one of the worst officiated games I’ve witnessed this season.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic