Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Online schools , what are your opinions
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Online schools , what are your opinions

Jul 13, 2020, 3:11 PM

Got no dog in the fight as my kids are long past University . If this event pushes schoools to provide say a Chromebook and internet service, instead of physical schools, using canned lessons it will be a seismic shift economically.

1 parent will likely need to be home instead of the workforce to supervise the kids and watch over them. Need for teachers and their benefit packages will plummet as a Company can use a small number to produce lessons for use across the Nation for a fee. Maybe property taxes decrease? No busses to run, no building to maintain. No free lunches either. Plus side would be wages should rise fairly rapidly due to a vastly reduced labor force requiring business to compete on wages/benefits to attract workers.

Downsides would be kids would lose the social interactions daily. HS sports would maybe would be discontinued. Stay at home parent becomes a babbling idjit?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Really, really bad for the underprivileged kids. Like awful

Jul 13, 2020, 3:16 PM

And not good for the rest. No one has all the answers in what to do, but everyone knows the how bad it is for these kids.

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Re: Really, really bad for the underprivileged kids. Like awful

Jul 13, 2020, 3:23 PM

In what ways though, if they are given a device and provided internet , would that not work the same for all? Or are you referring to a lack of parental responsibilty to see the kids are actually doing the work? Maybe that speaks more to the thought some folks should not be allowed to bear children? You need a license to drive, meaning you took classes and were deemed capable to operate a vehicle, maybe it is time for that applied to bearing kids.

Sadly the social welfare net provides an out for the incompetent and broke to have kids they obviously should have never had in the 1st place.Thus in 90% of the cases only continues the cycle of poverty.

Jul 26, 2022, 8:38 AM

They can't even be bothered to return the chromebooks their kids rarely used.

https://www.foxcarolina.com/news/greenville-co-schools-reports-nearly-5-000-chromebooks-not-returned/article_4ed4d332-c22d-11ea-ae3e-f3cada4d6a13.html

Aug 26, 2022, 9:00 AM

Yup, not uncommon. Thing is if that is the primary and only means of getting an education on a cost basis it is far cheaper than current physical instruction conducted in a classroom.

Like it or not the future holds change, some forced by viral outbreaks that may worsen as temps rise. Who knows what the permafrost melting will unleash. Better to begin planning and adaptng as this is likely not a 1 off event .

I think it's essential to have in person learning

Jul 13, 2020, 3:36 PM [ in reply to Really, really bad for the underprivileged kids. Like awful ]

in elementary school. Next would be preschool, then middle and lastly high school. Online might be decent for high school kids. Middle school is marginal. But elementary school it is essential to have in person learning. I have a rising first grader and he is probably in the most important 2-3 year period of his education right now. If they allow in person, he will be there. Middle schooler is a hybrid system and I'm less worried about our 6th grader. He's smart. 2yo is actually a year back. So we had planned to run him through 5yo preschool then have a redo in kindergarten to get back on schedule. But we can hold him out this year and then proceed like normal through 4yo preschool then kindergarten.

Worried about our 6yo though. 1st grade and second are very important.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

online classes are a complete joke in college

Jul 13, 2020, 6:37 PM

it would probably translate the same to other grade levels as well

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The teacher's unions won't allow this.

Jul 13, 2020, 4:03 PM

When democrats figure out their unions are going to squeal they will back away from the unintended consequences of keeping kids out of school.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

for elementary school, no freakin way

Jul 13, 2020, 4:09 PM

my son wont learn #### online. He could barely last 30 minutes on zoom twice a week. And i dont have time to work as many hours as i do and try to be his teacher too

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: for elementary school, no freakin way

Jul 13, 2020, 4:19 PM

Not to sound cold but you may have no choice. I get it though as I would rather be beaten with a stick than do the silly online training mandated by my Company.

Heck, when I was running over 60 people for a rather large Company we had mandated yearly computer based training and it was a portion of our yearly evaluation. I had like 100 hours assigned to me and completed exactly zero. During my self evaluation I gave myself a did not meet expectations on that section. It asked for reasons. Mine were I completed none of the required training, did not anticipate completing any either. In fact since most all of it did not pertain to my job classification it was a stupid requirement and thus a waste of my time in actually doing the job you hired me to perform.

Just saying I was willing to accept a lower raise for my inactions , though my boss refused to give me a lower one since we far exceeded our mission rates by any metric. If it boils down to online or nothing are you willing to sacrifice your kids education?

our district is going to half on half off most likely***

Jul 13, 2020, 4:43 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: our district is going to half on half off most likely***

Jul 13, 2020, 4:46 PM

For now, wait until the 1st series of cases hits the schools. We both know that is gonna happen, better be forming a backup plan because my bet is they shut down again.

Don’t like at all

Jul 13, 2020, 6:31 PM

Son is Soph at Clemson

Jul 13, 2020, 6:38 PM

Has decided to take the fall semester off to see how things shake out.

Imo, states should decide this issue.

Jul 13, 2020, 6:52 PM

I don't believe that it is within the POTUS authority to try and force schools to open. It is within his authority, I think, to cut federal grants to those who choose not to open.

There is plenty of science which indicates that children are less susceptible to this virus than the regular flu and the risk of a child spreading the virus is miniscule, almost non existent.

Of course I don't trust them, as everyone knows, because they say what suits them too often to be trusted. Either way, I would not make this decision for others. I am particularly concerned with parents having the ultimate and absolute sayso when it comes to their children.

If my kids were still in school I would choose to open SC schools. If you don't want your kids going back to school this fall then you should keep them home. The government has no right to get between you and your children.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Imo, states should decide this issue.

Jul 13, 2020, 7:20 PM

No POTUS cannot order schools open, he can stamp his feet and twatter but that is about it. Kids are less susceptable to becoming really sick but they can be vectors to bring it home or pass it to teachers and staff.

Not according to what the studies in other parts of the...

Jul 13, 2020, 7:37 PM

civilized world say.

Re: Not according to what the studies in other parts of the...

Jul 13, 2020, 7:43 PM

Forgetting that those other parts of the world got hit early and our experience has not been the same. Why? Mutations.

Re: Online schools , what are your opinions

Jul 13, 2020, 7:35 PM

I love this idea. My property taxes should be slashed and no one will ever be smart enough to take my job...win-win

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Online schools , what are your opinions

Jul 13, 2020, 7:36 PM

I like your thinking. Idiocracy here we come.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic