Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Nostalgia for ugly buildings
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 2,817

Nostalgia for ugly buildings

Jul 18, 2016, 12:15 PM

I don't get it. Buildings like Tillman, Hardin, Sirrine, etc are attractive and should be kept up, but I don't see why anyone would care about the demolition of Clemson House, Johnstone, or Martin (fingers crossed).

Were people upset when they tore down married student housing to build Littlejohn?

On the other hand, after seeing pictures of the old Barracks, I'm upset Barracks 1, 2 ,3 (and 4?) were torn down to build Johnstone instead of remodeled like the other Barracks were.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nostalgia for ugly buildings

Jul 18, 2016, 12:30 PM

Clemson House and Johnstone are ugly, but they have some unique history. I'll miss the hotel origins of Clemson House and the military tradition of Johnstone (rifle racks and the old parade deck).

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

More in your face proof you are old . Your childhood memories are disapearing

Jul 18, 2016, 12:38 PM

Your past is dying and all you can do is watch it.

Believe me, no one is going to riot over a rope being cut from a tree, but it breaks my heart a little that there is no longer a rope swing at the isaqueena
####.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I miss the rope swing too

Jul 18, 2016, 12:39 PM

For the longest time every time it got cut down somebody would just replace it within a week.

The Clemson House might be ugly

Jul 18, 2016, 1:13 PM

but, the views from the rooms there are beautiful. I will miss it, but not Johnstone.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

I hope they put something in its place

Jul 18, 2016, 1:20 PM

I've been on the roof and you're right, the views were phenomenal.

Re: The Clemson House might be ugly- no might

Jul 18, 2016, 1:22 PM [ in reply to The Clemson House might be ugly ]

it is very ugly

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's the same reason that hooking up my original NES

Jul 18, 2016, 1:34 PM

and seeing 8-bit Mario/Zelda/Contra/whatever roll across the screen (after fidgeting with the cartridge for 5 minutes) is absolutely glorious for me. Anyone under the age of 20 or so would probably throw it straight in the dumpster to make room for something new. I cherish it as one of the last remaining pieces of my childhood.

Disagree

Jul 19, 2016, 2:16 PM

I'm saying keep your old NES, throw out the TURBOGRAFX-16 and the Atari Jaguar.

I love old buildings and classic video games, I don't love ugly buildings or games from failed systems.

Jul 18, 2016, 1:39 PM

Ugly is a very subjective word. I don't agree that Clemson House is ugly, and it's appearance is indicative of the time it was constructed. Campuses where all the buildings look the same, or have to mimic past styles are boring. I like seeing the different styles in the buildings, it tells the story of how the school and campus expanded. I want buildings that were built in the 50s to look like they were built in the 50s. Plus the buildings mean more than their appearance to some people. I never had a connection to Sirrine, so in that case I don't care if it gets torn down.

I spent my first semester in Johnstone F1, and met nearly all the friends from Clemson that I still have on that hall. It was a great time, even if it did smell like pee, and yes it does kinda suck that when I go back to campus it's not their anymore.

You don't understand "nostalgia"?

Jul 18, 2016, 1:44 PM

Yes, someone was probably sad about married student housing being torn down to build Littlejohn. Not me and probably not you, since I never knew they existed. But someone who perhaps that was the first place they lived with their wife or hung out with new friends at Clemson. Seriously, this is how nostalgia works. I'm surprised anyone doesn't understand this.

null

Good Post Swarles Barkley***

Jul 20, 2016, 7:31 AM

Jul 19, 2016, 8:08 PM

Clemson House does provide a unique history and was a significant part of one of the most impactful events in Clemson history. When President Edwards ordered the news media locked in the Clemson House to support the "integration with dignity", Clemson House will forever be remembered as the holding cell that allowed our peaceful integration.

Jul 19, 2016, 9:00 PM

Wait wait wait. I like to think I'm well versed on my Clemson history but this one is new to me. What's the story here?

Jul 20, 2016, 11:11 AM

Joe Sherman '34 and author of our beloved "Something in These Hills" was instrumental in the media's containment to the Clemson House strategy. You can find details in many spots but here are a couple of links. High Seminary provides a lot of detail to the event and how reporters that were found outside of Clemson House were turned into police by students and had their credentials revoked.
http://www.clemson.edu/oirweb1/FB/factbook/Historical%20Enrollment/Integration.htm
https://sites.google.com/site/hon221finalproject/harvey-gantt

Jul 19, 2016, 10:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Nostalgia for ugly buildings ]

USuck has torn down a number of dorms and Columbia has lost much of urban history all in the name of progress. Once something is gone you cannot recreate it or the events associated with a building or particular place.

Clemson as a city and the university need to be very careful not to destroy what makes the area unique merely in the name of progress.

Just my two cents worth as a historian who has seen significant change turn out badly over my sixty plus years of living.

Go Tigers!

Jul 19, 2016, 8:11 PM

Wonder if it's possible to come take out one the old gun racks to incorporate into a new gun cabinet at my house... That'd be a nice piece of furniture and reminder of Clemson's history. I know it's inly a few pieces of carved wood, but still

Jul 19, 2016, 9:01 PM

Step 1: Find student who lives in johnstone

Step 2: give student a case of beer

Step 3: Recieve gun rack in return

Jul 19, 2016, 9:26 PM

They should 100% auction off those gun racks at Johnstone. I loved the history of it each time I saw mine.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 19, 2016, 9:24 PM

I am guessing because many of us lived some happy days in those places. I know they need to go. I want to get back and just walk around before they disappear.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stayed in C-House. It needed to go.

Jul 20, 2016, 3:25 AM

Lived there in 2005. Even then it was damp, moldy, and had some super weird room layouts.

Nostalgia is fun and stuff, but it's time to bulldoze it. Glad to see the upgrade.

Replies: 20
| visibility 2,817
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic