Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Recru­iting Snapshot '18 - Final before NSD
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Recru­iting Snapshot '18 - Final before NSD

Jan 19, 2018, 11:31 AM

Here is my final update for the 2018 class before NSD. I will not try to sugarcoat anything when it comes to our chances.

Offensive Targets:
For offense, we will look to sign 1 more WR and 1 more OT.
- Justyn Ross - High 4*/5* WR from Alabama. Down to us, Bama and Auburn. His "father figure" at Bama (Derrick Ansley) left to coach at the Oakland Raiders. Bama is the industry favorite, but Clemson is a strong dark horse.
- Richard Gouraige - high 4* OT from FL. "Committed" to Florida. Considering flipping to Clemson or Auburn, but he likely stays committed to Florida.

Defensive Targets:
For defense, we still need to take at least 1 S, 1 more CB and maybe 1 LB.
- Mario Goodrich - 4* CB/Ath from MO. Very good prospect. Down to LSU and Clemson. I like Clemson here.
- Patrick Surtain Jr - 5* CB from FL. Down to Clemson, Bama, Miami, and LSU. I'd say LSU would be the smart money due to the relationship his father has with the DB coach, but all 3 of the other contenders have not been told no yet.
- Trevon Flowers - low 3* S from GA. Recently decommitted from Kentucky for baseball. Down to Clemson and Tennessee. Unfortunately, we still aren't locked to get a commitment from this 3* safety.
- Dax Hollified - high 4* LB from NC. Down to VT, UNC, and Clemson. Clemson should absolutely not still be in contention here after we have told him we don't have a scholarship for him TWICE. We are in it because we are his childhood favorite and our 2018 class is the one he feels closest to. VT would be the safe pick, but this one has a Clemson feel to it.

Summary:
The only recruit that I would say I am confident about at this point is Goodrich. I think the numbers work in our favor and we made him a priority as soon as we started recruiting him, even though it was way too late in the process. In order of confidence, the remaining are Dax, Ross, Flowers, Gouriage, Surtain.

If I was a betting man, I'd bet on us getting only 2 commitments on NSD. Goodrich and Dax. However, Dabo has proven that he can be a recruiting wizard so my view is likely pessimistic.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Disclaimer: I am not a recruiting expert or insider. I am just an observer and recruiting follower.

Message was edited by: gtriple®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: Recru­iting Snapshot '18 - Final before NSD

Jan 19, 2018, 11:37 AM

Hey thanks for the very through info!

I do have a question for ya out of curiosity, IMO it seems like we have trouble landing top safety talent out of high school. Why do you think that is?

Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t worry or think twice about it BC Dabo and Co always seem to find amazing lesser recruited players and make them awesome but it does seem we have issues pulling top talent there.

Who would you be talking about ?

Jan 19, 2018, 11:42 AM

Just asking,because ,though I could be wrong,but everyone with exception of DJ was highly recruited. Then the only reason was his grades,no one expected him to make it in. In May, when he qualified, he had to agree to an Academic Redshirt before Dabo would sion him

Wallace ? Sure he was a 3 star, but the last 2 days,he had Meyer,Saban and Dabo calling him.

Again, did I miss something ?

Jan 19, 2018, 11:43 AM [ in reply to Re: Recru­iting Snapshot '18 - Final before NSD ]

A lot of top safeties have been from outside our typical geographic area. Texas always seem to produce highly ranked safeties. I have heard that 2019 commit Joseph Charleston was the top safety on the staff's board and that they made sure to let him know that.

Jan 19, 2018, 11:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Recru­iting Snapshot '18 - Final before NSD ]

Some info:
Van Smith was a low 4*, Tanner Muse a high 3*.
Isaiah Simmons was a late bloomer, but a high 3*. Likely a huge oversight by recruiting sites.
K'Von Wallace was a low 3*, but was at the top of the OSU board at the end. He is absolutely an elite talent and has proven it. Huge miss by almost everybody but Clemson and OSU.

This year we have Kyler McMichael coming in. He is an elite prospect. Top 100 guy. Still not sure if he will play safety or corner.
We will also land either Hill or O'Neal, both are top 100 safeties.

Next year we have Joseph Charleston committed, who is also an elite safety.

Our safety recruiting has definitely been the slowest on the defensive side. But we are still pulling in very talented safeties and developing them. We are starting to see more and more elite safeties in our recruiting class as well.

Jan 19, 2018, 1:56 PM

Charleston has already committed?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2018, 2:00 PM

https://sso.cmgdigital.com//static/server.html?origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.palmbeachpost.com%2Fsports%2Fcollege%2Fjoseph-charleston-becomes-clemson-first-2019-commitment%2Fgde2NX8JS5EuATh5OHBK6L%2F

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Be careful, you're going to get

Jan 19, 2018, 11:39 AM

MRTTMT excited

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I can hold off,till they sign

Jan 19, 2018, 11:46 AM

TU

Jan 19, 2018, 11:40 AM

Thanks.

Do you have any insight into who might Transfer? Zerrick? Possibly a DL?

I do think there's a decent chance Zerrick transfers

Jan 19, 2018, 11:46 AM

but at this point it's just a gut feeling

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

No way Zerrick is transferring.

Jan 19, 2018, 11:48 AM

Morun.

Re: No way Zerrick is transferring.

Jan 19, 2018, 12:03 PM

> Morun.

wrong Clown.

No, that is the right clown.

Jan 19, 2018, 12:04 PM

Morron.

Re: No, that is the right clown.

Jan 19, 2018, 1:19 PM

Ouch!! Zerrick is transferring!

Morrun, you say?

speaking of an ^^^

Jan 19, 2018, 2:06 PM

a$$clown

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Hey, moran, check the times..

Jan 19, 2018, 2:10 PM [ in reply to Re: No, that is the right clown. ]

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Good-luck-ZC-Hope-you-have-success-wherever-you-go***-23006668

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/No-way-Zerrick-is-transferring-23007136

So who is the morrun for asking if Zerrick is transferring AFTER he announces his transfer publicly?

That's pure poppycock***

Jan 19, 2018, 12:01 PM [ in reply to I do think there's a decent chance Zerrick transfers ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Language sir! Please mind it!***

Feb 6, 2018, 9:04 AM

Jan 19, 2018, 11:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Recru­iting Snapshot '18 - Final before NSD ]

I honestly couldn't even guess who would transfer this year. The only one that makes sense is maybe Shaq Smith. Since he was a 5* out of high school and hasn't really had much playing time. He saw a low-ranked freshman play over him this past season.

wasn't it injuries that kept Shaq Smith off the field?***

Jan 19, 2018, 11:53 AM

Maybe, but I think there's something more

He's had some smaller injuries that have kept him off the field temporarily. But the main issue appears to be that BV doesn't trust him or he just has a hard time getting the playbook. Not sure exactly. Maybe davidhood® can enlighten us.

Re: Maybe, but I think there's something more

Jan 19, 2018, 1:53 PM

Also, flexibility. Common problem with a lot of DL/LB types especially right out of high school.

Guy was so stiff when he arrived he might as well have had rebar underwear. Couldn't bend, like, at all.

Guys who can't bend can't redirect well, and they get caught up in the wash and overwhelmed.

Elite athlete - in a straight line. Be interesting to see if he makes a charge this offseason now that he can do something other than, well, charge.

Jan 19, 2018, 2:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Recru­iting Snapshot '18 - Final before NSD ]

Sterling Johnson, possibly. And Adam Choice.

i agree with everything above

Ross seems like a lock...but i'll hold my optimism until NSD

Gouraige is def. trending our way....especially since our other competition Auburn's coach bolted to Texas.

I hope we get Palmer. He is underrated in my opinion and his offers have blown up since the last signing day. He is also in our pipeline.

We should get a better feel for O'neal after his OV

Well, I don't agree with everything above.

Feb 6, 2018, 9:06 AM

I never agree with GWP...that's just how I roll.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic